Petition: Use Gold as a Primary Color

chicoGT

Georgia Tech Fan
I said it was exclusively our TRIM color. The stripes and lettering trim on all the white and gold uniforms from the 40s till blue took over was black. I don't know what the trim was the few times Dodd used navy jerseys (and that was all he ever used, and not often). A source said 2003 was when blue was adopted; I thought that was incorrect but repeated it anyway.

Still not true and won't change regarding how many times repeated. Trim & numbers were very navy blue when I entered in 79, and changed with Blackwatch. I have actual white game jersey that confirms dark navy trim and numbers (similar to NYY).

GTballer21

Jolly Good Fellow
I will take your word for it that there is blue in the photo; it looks black to me. The "yellow jacket" shown, however, is not the same as the "yellow jacket" which Tech used for the years before Buzz replaced it.
Looks pretty similar to me.. just a different color
B55D57DF-4614-4150-B713-5B5A1F54BC4D.jpeg

Still not true and won't change regarding how many times repeated. Trim & numbers were very navy blue when I entered in 79, and changed with Blackwatch. I have actual white game jersey that confirms dark navy trim and numbers (similar to NYY).
I conceded already that the year in which the use of black ended was one I saw online and not one I could verify. The fact remains that from at least the mid-40s until whatever year it was ended, trim was exclusively black, and that won't change no many how many times you claim otherwise.

GTballer21

Jolly Good Fellow
I conceded already that the year in which the use of black ended was one I saw online and not one I could verify. The fact remains that from at least the mid-40s until whatever year it was ended, trim was exclusively black, and that won't change no many how many times you claim otherwise.
C’mon man.. I enjoy seeing the obvious love for GT that you have.. but it’s been proven numerous times in this thread that there was a short window that we wore black.. and it was for the black watch defense and that was only a short period of time. We have worn blue before, and after the time of the black watch.. and for A LOT longer period of time. For reference here is a pic of tech in the 1940’s wearing blue shirts...
FC0A4ED4-F070-47EE-B329-2C87CE30EEFC.jpeg

C’mon man.. I enjoy seeing the obvious love for GT that you have.. but it’s been proven numerous times in this thread that there was a short window that we wore black.. and it was for the black watch defense and that was only a short period of time. We have worn blue before, and after the time of the black watch.. and for A LOT longer period of time. For reference here is a pic of tech in the 1940’s wearing blue shirts...
View attachment 5376
I have never disputed the fact that Dodd and Alexander wore blue jerseys, although I have no idea how often or seldom. But that has nothing to do with the trim on the white and gold uniforms and helmets which was black, not blue.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Ever since this petition there sure has been a lot more use of gold as a primary color... :)

Could be a coincidence, but maybe Stansbury listened...
I think coincidence. This is purely speculation, but I think the GTAA and Adidas always intended to use more gold. It's just been more difficult than expected to get the colors to work as intended.

crut

Helluva Engineer
I think coincidence. This is purely speculation, but I think the GTAA and Adidas always intended to use more gold. It's just been more difficult than expected to get the colors to work as intended.
Maybe. It's been cool to see lots of gold t-shirts worn by the football team during practices, the gold jerseys for football, and gold jerseys for baseball over the past couple weeks.

And, on top of that, there's been a lot less navy as a base recently in terms of uniforms. The exception to this is of course the shirts as part of the giveaway last night.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Maybe. It's been cool to see lots of gold t-shirts worn by the football team during practices, the gold jerseys for football, and gold jerseys for baseball over the past couple weeks.

And, on top of that, there's been a lot less navy as a base recently in terms of uniforms. The exception to this is of course the shirts as part of the giveaway last night.
I like the use of navy. I think it looks good. That being said, I get our traditions and love our classic color schemes. In the end, I'm good with what the kids want.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Just to toss in a baseline for all those who like to refer to the 1970 Sun Bowl photo of Steve Foster being tackled by three Texas Tech defenders, here's what that jersey really looked like, or actually my 1971 Peach Bowl "new" one Sarge Hodges gave us instead of having us "steal" our faded out 1970 ones that had started out like this:

upload_2019-4-28_10-52-8.jpeg

What they had wanted us to wear in 1971 & only wore in the 2nd half of the muddy Peach Bowl debacle:
upload_2019-4-28_10-52-45.jpeg

We rejected these after this photo as they were more mustard yellow than gold & that set the tone for a disastrous season.

As for GT Blues, Drew Hearn must be doing a million RPMs in his grave. The multi-gazillion dollar donor from Charlotte hated it even as a trim color.

At least going forward, we won't be known (and recruited against) as "COSTCO U."

Just to toss in a baseline for all those who like to refer to the 1970 Sun Bowl photo of Steve Foster being tackled by three Texas Tech defenders, here's what that jersey really looked like, or actually my 1971 Peach Bowl "new" one Sarge Hodges gave us instead of having us "steal" our faded out 1970 ones that had started out like this:

View attachment 5709

What they had wanted us to wear in 1971 & only wore in the 2nd half of the muddy Peach Bowl debacle:
View attachment 5710

We rejected these after this photo as they were more mustard yellow than gold & that set the tone for a disastrous season.

As for GT Blues, Drew Hearn must be doing a million RPMs in his grave. The multi-gazillion dollar donor from Charlotte hated it even as a trim color.

At least going forward, we won't be known (and recruited against) as "COSTCO U."
Has Drew Hearn died? I didn't know that. You are right that he hated blue. Unfortunately, he chewed out a kid at a game for wearing blue. That's something I would never do, and I was ticked when I heard that he did.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Has Drew Hearn died? I didn't know that. You are right that he hated blue. Unfortunately, he chewed out a kid at a game for wearing blue. That's something I would never do, and I was ticked when I heard that he did.

Whoops! Per the Alumni Directory, I spoke too soon. I just figured anyone - Willard Leathers, "Mr. Chip" Roberts, Drew, et al, who were ALWAYS at practice in the late 60s/early 70s was certainly long gone.

Whoops! Per the Alumni Directory, I spoke too soon. I just figured anyone - Willard Leathers, "Mr. Chip" Roberts, Drew, et al, who were ALWAYS at practice in the late 60s/early 70s was certainly long gone.
Glad you got that cleared up. I was pretty sure he was still with us, since I have seen recent photos of his white and gold yacht docked at Hilton Head. I would imagine that he has made his opinions known to TStan and others regarding the use of blue.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Glad you got that cleared up. I was pretty sure he was still with us, since I have seen recent photos of his white and gold yacht docked at Hilton Head. I would imagine that he has made his opinions known to TStan and others regarding the use of blue.

The saddest thing about that 1971 photo is at least 10 of those boys have died, half of them were sitting on the Second Row.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 5376

Yep. That was Coach Dodd's doing. He did not like the "drab mustard gold" (his words) that Coach Alexander used during the 1930s and wanted something brighter. Nevertheless, I am partial to black trim and numbers but not black jerseys. Personally, I kind of like the gold jerseys with black trim and white pants that were in vogue during Chan's regime but that is just me. A story was done asking players from FSU and Miami what stood out about each of the teams they played. (This was done about the time they joined the ACC together) One player for Miami said the gold helmets that Tech wore. IIWII