Petition to stop noon home games

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
GT should do with the Alcorn State and Bowling Green games what Tennessee with do with the ETSU,UTEP and Charlotte games and that is to have the kickoff at 6:00 or 7:00 pm.

You really think that certain powers that be are going to allow us to kick off vs Alcorn at about the same time as the nationally promoted & televised Kick Off Classic game?

Why in heck would we want to - because of temperature? Yes, sir, real fan base are we.

The main point to me is of all the things that GT football might need petitions on - start times would have to rank about 37th on the list of what matters.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
You really think that certain powers that be are going to allow us to kick off vs Alcorn at about the same time as the nationally promoted & televised Kick Off Classic game?

Why in heck would we want to - because of temperature? Yes, sir, real fan base are we.

The main point to me is of all the things that GT football might need petitions on - start times would have to rank about 37th on the list of what matters.
I'm not for petitioning about it but i'm just bringing up that some schools like Tennessee,Florida and others schedule their games against punching bags on their schedule at later times;)

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

Real fan here. Answer me this...why wouldn't I want and push for a kick-off time that would make my fan experience the most pleasurable possible? Noon kick-offs are brutal in September. Not because it "really hot" at kick-off, but that it gets progressively hotter as the game goes on. Standing there in the beating sun, with 90+ degree temperatures is brutal for the fan base AND the team. The complaints are not that we have Noon kickoffs, it's that we seem to have a preponderance of Noon kick-offs.

As for going head-to-head with the Kick0ff Classic, who cares? Playing Alcorn St, we're not trying to compete for national ratings. It'll probably be broadcast on the ACC Network or ESPN3. It's the rare fan that would go to the GT/Alcorn St. game in the afternoon and then to the KOC in the evening, so there's no competition for audience.

I just don't get the push back.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Real fan here. Answer me this...why wouldn't I want and push for a kick-off time that would make my fan experience the most pleasurable possible? Noon kick-offs are brutal in September. Not because it "really hot" at kick-off, but that it gets progressively hotter as the game goes on. Standing there in the beating sun, with 90+ degree temperatures is brutal for the fan base AND the team. The complaints are not that we have Noon kickoffs, it's that we seem to have a preponderance of Noon kick-offs.

As for going head-to-head with the Kick0ff Classic, who cares? Playing Alcorn St, we're not trying to compete for national ratings. It'll probably be broadcast on the ACC Network or ESPN3. It's the rare fan that would go to the GT/Alcorn St. game in the afternoon and then to the KOC in the evening, so there's no competition for audience.

I just don't get the push back.
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Real fan here. Answer me this...why wouldn't I want and push for a kick-off time that would make my fan experience the most pleasurable possible?

So should I start a petition to ban drunks from being at games because many are insufferable, especially for later games?

Other schools playing lesser division teams get prime kick off times. Tech gets noon. Also the argument about having a game in conflict with the KO classic doesn't apply in Athens the same as it does in Atlanta??? I guess one might expect the mutts, based on last year, to get non-noon kickoff times, but based on projected results for Tech after 2014, we still got noon kick off times in 2015. The fact that we fell flat is moot because at this time in 2015, everyone's expectations were still high enough to merit good kickoff times. Also, like I said, you might expect the mutts to get good times, but what has USC(e) done to deserve them?

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Other schools playing lesser division teams get prime kick off times. Tech gets noon. Also the argument about having a game in conflict with the KO classic doesn't apply in Athens the same as it does in Atlanta??? I guess one might expect the mutts, based on last year, to get non-noon kickoff times, but based on projected results for Tech after 2014, we still got noon kick off times in 2015. The fact that we fell flat is moot because at this time in 2015, everyone's expectations were still high enough to merit good kickoff times. Also, like I said, you might expect the mutts to get good times, but what has USC(e) done to deserve them?

The networks(mostly ESPN) don't "reward" game times. They are trying to maximize viewership across all of the game times. They don't decide to "reward" or "punish" any teams. If you were inside the meetings where they decide game times and they go against the objective of maximizing total viewership for the entire day, then you might could say "enough said" with respect to a lack of respect for GT. However, it looks like a three year old demanding a different toy to say: "I like their game time better... waah waah waah". They do not have every big game in the prime time slot and every non-interesting game in the noon slot.

On the first Saturday, the noon games for ESPN are:
  • Villanova -- Temple
  • James Madison -- NC State
  • Coastal Carolina -- USCe
  • Ole Miss -- Texas Tech
  • Texas -- Maryland
  • Oregon State -- Ohio State
  • Furman -- Clemson
  • Alcorn State -- GT

The 3:30 games are:
  • Washington State -- Wyoming
  • Austin Peay -- mutts
  • Central Michigan -- Kentucky
  • Washington -- Auburn
  • Albany -- Pittsburgh
  • Appalachian State -- Penn State
  • Marshal -- Miami(OH)

The Prime Time games have Louisville -- Alabama and Michigan -- Notre Dame, but also include such great matchups as:
  • Mercer -- Memphis
  • Nicholls -- Kansas
  • Central Arkansas -- Tulsa

The point I am trying to make is that they include high profile games, medium games, and games that will not be watched in all of the time slots. The networks do not care one bit about how the scheduling affects tailgating. They do not care if fans are hot, wet, cold, sunburned, etc. They don't even care about the expected ratings for any particular individual matchup(except the marquee games) only how the overall ratings will be for the entire day. They try to maximize television engagement, period.