Paul Johnson's job

Boss Ross

Jolly Good Fellow
I believe that Paul Johnsom is going to either retire or quit when the season is over . If you listen to him talk referring to next year he has sad things that make me think he is done. He does not seem to have the enthusiasm that he's had in the past. Has anyone else noticed this? THWG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Southpaw13

Helluva Engineer
No CPJ isn't going anywhere right now. We are a tiny bit of luck away from being 8-3 right now (referring to the Pitt game mostly). In 2014 we seemed to get every big break. In 2015 we seemed to be on the wrong end of every big break. This year we got a little of both.

People have unrealistic expectations. CPJ has won more than just about anyone in recent GT football history. We won a freaking Orange Bowl 2 years ago!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I believe that Paul Johnsom is going to either retire or quit when the season is over . If you listen to him talk referring to next year he has sad things that make me think he is done. He does not seem to have the enthusiasm that he's had in the past. Has anyone else noticed this? THWG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No.

Do you have any specifics other than perceived enthusiasm? I see him with the same enthusiasm as previous years. He is just settled in that what he does is right and he'll do it.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
I like the possibilities CPJ brings. Many (probably most) games in his tenure, we have seen an offense that cannot be stopped regardless of who is across the line of scrimmage. Some other games, it struggles, because of a lack of execution usually caused by lack of depth (injuries and attrition). He's had several nice seasons, a couple of amazing ones, and one awful one. For us to reach the heights we want and make the playoffs, we have to catch lightning in a bottle. But so does everybody else not named Bama, i.e., Auburn, Oregon, Michigan State, Notre Dame. FSU has disappeared and so will Clemson next year if they even make the playoffs this year. What gives us the best chance to catch lightning in a bottle? Johnson's offense IMO.

Before Johnson, there have been three times in my GT lifetime that we caught LIAB. 1966, Dodd's last year, we started out 9-0. Dodd's luck ran out and we ended 9-2. Twenty four years later, we had our once in a lifetime best coaching staff of Ross, Friedgen, and O'Leary. They dragged us across the finish line in '90, but could not in '91 with many of the same players. 2000/2001 had coaching and talent, but it never quite reached critical mass for different reasons. We never came close under Carson, Fulcher, Rodgers, Curry, Lewis, or Gailey, and mostly had forgettable seasons under them. 2009 and 2014, we were sooooo clooooose, probably closer than any time other than 1990. Johnson has us where we at least have a bottle and the lightning is nearby. What we need is a player or two to unexpectedly explode like Godsey or Hollings or Brooking or Rudolph or Mason or Days. That is not as rare as you might expect, and CPJ's offense and recruiting from a different talent pool, I think, gives us a higher probability of that happening. Throw in a couple of timely bounces or referee calls, and we're there (for at least a little while).

In the meantime, I will continue to enjoy the huuuge exciting plays, the unexpected guttings of very good teams by the TO, and the quality of the players CPJ brings in. Don't get on the coaching carousel cause mostly what you get is just taken for a ride.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I like the possibilities CPJ brings. Many (probably most) games in his tenure, we have seen an offense that cannot be stopped regardless of who is across the line of scrimmage. Some other games, it struggles, because of a lack of execution usually caused by lack of depth (injuries and attrition). He's had several nice seasons, a couple of amazing ones, and one awful one. For us to reach the heights we want and make the playoffs, we have to catch lightning in a bottle. But so does everybody else not named Bama, i.e., Auburn, Oregon, Michigan State, Notre Dame. FSU has disappeared and so will Clemson next year if they even make the playoffs this year. What gives us the best chance to catch lightning in a bottle? Johnson's offense IMO.

Before Johnson, there have been three times in my GT lifetime that we caught LIAB. 1966, Dodd's last year, we started out 9-0. Dodd's luck ran out and we ended 9-2. Twenty four years later, we had our once in a lifetime best coaching staff of Ross, Friedgen, and O'Leary. They dragged us across the finish line in '90, but could not in '91 with many of the same players. 2000/2001 had coaching and talent, but it never quite reached critical mass for different reasons. We never came close under Carson, Fulcher, Rodgers, Curry, Lewis, or Gailey, and mostly had forgettable seasons under them. 2009 and 2014, we were sooooo clooooose, probably closer than any time other than 1990. Johnson has us where we at least have a bottle and the lightning is nearby. What we need is a player or two to unexpectedly explode like Godsey or Hollings or Brooking or Rudolph or Mason or Days. That is not as rare as you might expect, and CPJ's offense and recruiting from a different talent pool, I think, gives us a higher probability of that happening. Throw in a couple of timely bounces or referee calls, and we're there (for at least a little while).

In the meantime, I will continue to enjoy the huuuge exciting plays, the unexpected guttings of very good teams by the TO, and the quality of the players CPJ brings in. Don't get on the coaching carousel cause mostly what you get is just taken for a ride.
If I could "like" this post many times I would. Agree with redmule in spades. Thanks for the post. One of the most realistic and yet optimistic posts that I have seen. And I will always support our boys on the field. THWG!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The only thing GT needs is a really good defense to go with the offense. The current D allows short completions and does not create many 3 and outs. This restricts our ability to get on offense so other teams are now controlling the TOP with controlled passing and we sit back and let them do it. Somehow we need to be able to get improvement in recruiting on D if we continue this scheme and expect DL to beat people one on one. We need at least one or two disruptive D linemen that can beat people up front in passing situations. Our offense is just fine and ST is okay as long as we can keep kicking it into the end zone.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
i like paul.

1. he graduates his players at a rate not seen at the flats in awhile if ever
2. his players stay out of trouble for the most part
3. he believes in meting out discipline that is fair and he doesnt mess around
4. he runs a clean program that i know of
5. he is not one to run players off like a saban.
6. his o is always near the top year in and year out

imo we need to permanently fix the D and we need to recruit better. fix those two things and most of us will be happy.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
The only thing GT needs is a really good defense to go with the offense. The current D allows short completions and does not create many 3 and outs. This restricts our ability to get on offense so other teams are now controlling the TOP with controlled passing and we sit back and let them do it. Somehow we need to be able to get improvement in recruiting on D if we continue this scheme and expect DL to beat people one on one. We need at least one or two disruptive D linemen that can beat people up front in passing situations. Our offense is just fine and ST is okay as long as we can keep kicking it into the end zone.
I've been saying this for a while, give us a top 30 D and we could be a consistent 10 win team with our offense.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
No.

Do you have any specifics other than perceived enthusiasm? I see him with the same enthusiasm as previous years. He is just settled in that what he does is right and he'll do it.
What enthusiasm lacking seems to be from the board. Here we are one game from the end of regular season, the last is Georgia, and the board is consumed with a) where was the sun when Stewart dropped a pass; b) we need to pass more and c) Johnson is gonna quit because somebody can just tell, you know, from looking at him, you know, that he has lost his enthusiasm for the job. Just think of the off-season we have to look forward to. If this continues I think this might be the winter I abandon the board for more thoughtful pursuits, like reading a Waffle House menu.

Milwaukee

Banned
What enthusiasm lacking seems to be from the board. Here we are one game from the end of regular season, the last is Georgia, and the board is consumed with a) where was the sun when Stewart dropped a pass; b) we need to pass more and c) Johnson is gonna quit because somebody can just tell, you know, from looking at him, you know, that he has lost his enthusiasm for the job. Just think of the off-season we have to look forward to. If this continues I think this might be the winter I abandon the board for more thoughtful pursuits, like reading a Waffle House menu.

Don't forget the MM transfer speculation from a drive by poster and the Fire Roof crowd.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I doubt CPJ reads these boards or cares what anyone thinks. He comes across as practical.

Is he leaving? No. we've enjoyed good success and he's under contract. No sense second guessing.

What we can do is ask, "what can we do today, to win?"