Paul Johnson's job

GTThor

Jolly Good Fellow
I have the honor of calling plays on Friday nights. There are times when I call the perfect play at the right time and the other team has a player that makes a great play. So it doesn't look like a good call.
I have also made bad calls and had a great player make something out of nothing and made it look like a great play.

It's part of football!

The dive was a great player making something out of nothing! It's football!

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I know and it's crazy. Fire a man that's beat UGA3 times on their field, a coach that has taken us to multiple acc championship games, and a coach that has taken us to 2 orange bowls.

People want to gamble for more. But its not risk-free.

Look at georgia for an example of how well it worked.

Milwaukee

Banned
Didn't think you would have much to come back with, but I agree, great win all around.

lol okay smartass. I didn't think it was a measuring contest, but hell, let's measure.

you're talking about a play call by a COACH that a player made work and comparing it to a bad throw by a PLAYER?

You're trying to take away from the defensive unit (players or coaches) by saying it was just a horrible play by UGA. Or are you? You're arguing pro coach/anti player one second then trying to argue anti coach/pro player the next. But by all means continue on your crusade.

Give the D some credit - coaches and players.

Cheers, mate. :)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Let's be clear about what happened today. Not counting the last 30 second drive, Georgie scored 3.0 pts/drive. Averaged over a season against pwr 5 competition, that's typically a top 10 offense.

We scored 2.8 ppd.

After week 9, georgie was averaging 1.78 ppd on offense (#49), and we were averaging 2.28 (#25). They were averaging 1.92 ppd allowed on D (#24), and we were averaging 2.19 (#40).

We outscored their week 9 average PPD allowed by 1.02 ppd. They outscored ours by 0.81. We outscored our week 9 average offensive ppd by 0.53 ppd. They outscored theirs by 1.22 ppd.

From this data, it's possible to say that their offense exceeded its efficiency. It's not possible to say that our defense did.

Our D made the plays that allowed our over-performing offense win the game, but if they were average, it wouldn't have been close.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Bottomline to all the whiners and complainers who do nothing to support GT football but to criticize our FB program..players and coaches!!

Fact:
Paul Johnson joined Bobby Dodd as the only head coaches at Georgia Tech with at least three wins at Georgia.

Again...History being made...we have gone from an injury ravaged season to 8-4 with a win over the mutts and a chance to find Ishmael with 9 wins..

No more complaining about CPJ...CTR
..The schemes or the players...for the estimate of the offseason...We just watch our current Coach join Bobby Dodd with his 3-2 record in Athens.

TechTravis

Ramblin' Wreck
Nice analysis, but couldn't it just be we wanted more badly? It would have been incredibly easy to have just given up. They didn't. Beautiful 94 yd drive and the Dive from Five.

Heart. How do you analyze that?
That's what I love so much about these Justin Thomas-led teams. They just play. They fight. They don't tend to let bad calls or hostile environments get to them. You have to drive a stake through their hearts to put them down...

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Nice analysis, but couldn't it just be we wanted more badly? It would have been incredibly easy to have just given up. They didn't. Beautiful 94 yd drive and the Dive from Five.

Heart. How do you analyze that?

One way to analyze that is to say something like this:
Not counting the last 30 second drive, Georgie scored 3.0 pts/drive. Averaged over a season against pwr 5 competition, that's typically a top 10 offense.

We scored 2.8 ppd.

After week 9, georgie was averaging 1.78 ppd on offense (#49), and we were averaging 2.28 (#25). They were averaging 1.92 ppd allowed on D (#24), and we were averaging 2.19 (#40).

We outscored their week 9 average PPD allowed by 1.02 ppd. They outscored ours by 0.81. We outscored our week 9 average offensive ppd by 0.53 ppd. They outscored theirs by 1.22 ppd.

From this data, it's possible to say that their offense exceeded its efficiency. It's not possible to say that our defense did.

Our D made the plays that allowed our over-performing offense win the game, but if they were average, it wouldn't have been close.​

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Bottomline to all the whiners and complainers who do nothing to support GT football but to criticize our FB program..players and coaches!!

Fact:
Paul Johnson joined Bobby Dodd as the only head coaches at Georgia Tech with at least three wins at Georgia.

Again...History being made...we have gone from an injury ravaged season to 8-4 with a win over the mutts and a chance to find Ishmael with 9 wins..

No more complaining about CPJ...CTR
..The schemes or the players...for the estimate of the offseason...We just watch our current Coach join Bobby Dodd with his 3-2 record in Athens.
You gave reasons as to why we can't complain about CPJ and I agree with them, but what's the reason for CTR?

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks coach.
I have the honor of calling plays on Friday nights. There are times when I call the perfect play at the right time and the other team has a player that makes a great play. So it doesn't look like a good call.
I have also made bad calls and had a great player make something out of nothing and made it look like a great play.

It's part of football!

The dive was a great player making something out of nothing! It's football!
Thanks coach. I had that same honor for over thirty years. I made many bad calls and some good ones but the bottom line I was as good as the players I had. There are always people who have never had any skin in the game who will tell you what you did wrong.

The bottom line is do you beat the people who you have no business beating. That's how I measure a coach. Both Paul Johnson and Ted Roof plus the rest of the staff have showed me that they have what it takes as coaches. Not to mention CTR is one of the best recruiters I've ever been around. Tech should do whatever it takes to keep all our coaches. We have a decided disadvantage in recruiting and should never take for granted what this staff has done. Again, those who want to fire any of these coaches have no idea about the reality of the situation.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Thanks coach.

Thanks coach. I had that same honor for over thirty years. I made many bad calls and some good ones but the bottom line I was as good as the players I had. There are always people who have never had any skin in the game who will tell you what you did wrong.

The bottom line is do you beat the people who you have no business beating. That's how I measure a coach. Both Paul Johnson and Ted Roof plus the rest of the staff have showed me that they have what it takes as coaches. Not to mention CTR is one of the best recruiters I've ever been around. Tech should do whatever it takes to keep all our coaches. We have a decided disadvantage in recruiting and should never take for granted what this staff has done. Again, those who want to fire any of these coaches have no idea about the reality of the situation.
I'm not trying to argue but what makes you feel that CTR has showed you he has what it takes? This is a serious question, and the only reason I ask is because our D has been pretty awful.