Paul Johnson's job

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
8-4 gets you 5th in the ACC coastal and 3rd in the SEC East. This is by and far the most conpetetitive the division has ever been at Johnsons tenure at Georgia Tech, much less the history of the ACC. Win or lose, it was a great season and we likely don't have to play 3 NFL first round QBs (Kayaa, Trubisky, Watson) next year. So that's nice. Every school in our divine out earns us and only Duke and Virginia Tech raise less money through boosters. We don't have the finances to compete and that's because we aren't the states recent number one brand (like Clemson, FSU, UNC).

One other comment to add to yours....not only will a win Saturday give us 8 wins but it will move CPJ's record vs. Uga (iirc) to 3-6. that is a level of success that we haven't seen in awhile (outside the tiar streak).

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I agree. Let's table this to after the season. It's only a few weeks away. Having said that, here's some food for thought ...

Georgia Tech's lifetime winning percentage is 57.6% in football. Paul Johnson's performance at Tech is slightly better at 58% through 2015.

Since Bobby Dodd, no Tech coach has beat Dodd's performance of 69.6%. Georgie O'Leary performed best, at 61.2%. Paul Johnson is second at 58%.

A football program is more than just the coach. It's also the recruiting, the infrastructure, and the marketing. We have work to do in all three categories. At least there is a strategic plan (for what it's worth), now ... we need resources.

More to come.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I won't comment but will start a poll to get opinions ....... after the UGAg game. No reason to focus yet on what I can't control.

CPJ's performance is about the same as Chan's. Going into this year,
  • CPJ slightly better than Chan with a 63.7% winning percentage vs 63.4%
  • CPJ slightly better than Chan in Power Ranking
  • CPJ slightly worse than Chan in end of season ranking, 43rd vs 38th.
We'll see where it ends up with these last two games. But they are essentially the same in performance. https://gtswarm.com/threads/112-years-of-gt-football-how-bad-were-we-last-year.9020/#post-203064

Some are distressed with that and some aren't. For me, the key is DC and CPJ's inability to find someone who can get better performance. But CPJ is already on his third strike there.......

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
8-4 gets you 5th in the ACC coastal and 3rd in the SEC East. This is by and far the most conpetetitive the division has ever been at Johnsons tenure at Georgia Tech, much less the history of the ACC. Win or lose, it was a great season and we likely don't have to play 3 NFL first round QBs (Kayaa, Trubisky, Watson) next year. So that's nice. Every school in our divine out earns us and only Duke and Virginia Tech raise less money through boosters. We don't have the finances to compete and that's because we aren't the states recent number one brand (like Clemson, FSU, UNC).
Alas, along with all that, the ACC has really stepped up in its coaching hires throughout. "Name" coaches are in place all over and the league's patsy label is just about gone. It's a hard slog from beginning to end now.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
A football program is more than just the coach. It's also the recruiting, the infrastructure, and the marketing. We have work to do in all three categories. At least there is a strategic plan (for what it's worth), now ... we need resources.

In today's NCAA, a coach is also evaluated on the Academic Progress Rate (APR) of the student athletes. All prior coaches were not actively evaluated on this.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
I won't comment but will start a poll to get opinions ....... after the UGAg game. No reason to focus yet on what I can't control.

CPJ's performance is about the same as Chan's. Going into this year,
  • CPJ slightly better than Chan with a 63.7% winning percentage vs 63.4%
  • CPJ slightly better than Chan in Power Ranking
  • CPJ slightly worse than Chan in end of season ranking, 43rd vs 38th.
We'll see where it ends up with these last two games. But they are essentially the same in performance. https://gtswarm.com/threads/112-years-of-gt-football-how-bad-were-we-last-year.9020/#post-203064

Some are distressed with that and some aren't. For me, the key is DC and CPJ's inability to find someone who can get better performance. But CPJ is already on his third strike there.......
I'm sorry, please remind me how many orange bowls Chan got to and how many times he beat uga. I also don't much weight into rankings past top 20 (really 15).

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I agree. Let's table this to after the season. It's only a few weeks away. Having said that, here's some food for thought ...

Georgia Tech's lifetime winning percentage is 57.6% in football. Paul Johnson's performance at Tech is slightly better at 58% through 2015.

Since Bobby Dodd, no Tech coach has beat Dodd's performance of 69.6%. Georgie O'Leary performed best, at 61.2%. Paul Johnson is second at 58%.

More to come.

Might be interesting to compare schedules played.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Just an observation and viewpoint I have formed throughout this season. It seems there is a growing fatigue with our football program in general. I see that in Coach Johnson and some of his staff. A frustration with the inability to improve on our blocking and offense in general for him and in our inability to pressure and tackle on defense and get off the field. There seems to be a growing minority of the fan base that is ready for a change, any change. T.here is a sense of underachievement with this team going 7 and 4 this season, valid or not.

I've seen this in business and in life in general. After 9 years a lot of relationships grow stale. Folks want change even if it is just change for change sake. I think we are reaching that point. I really don't feel strongly one way or the other about Coach Johnson staying or leaving. To me Georgia Tech football is bigger than any one personality (even Ted Roof for those that know I am a big fan of his). With Stansbury coming on board, I think he will take a hard look at where things stand and do what he thinks is in the best interest of the program overall. I sense the time for change is near, whether this year or next, I feel it is coming soon.

Go Jackets!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Alas, along with all that, the ACC has really stepped up in its coaching hires throughout. "Name" coaches are in place all over and the league's patsy label is just about gone. It's a hard slog from beginning to end now.
1.But if u win against the mercer or equals that's 2 wins.
2.But if u beat the bottom 3 teams in acc, that s 3 more wins.
3.If you beat a low level sec team, that's 1 more.
4. Win one out of 5 against the good Acc teams (C,P,M,Unc,vt ), & that's 1 more.
5. Then maybe beat uga if we play lights out.

Hey that's where we are!

I love stats , percentages and graphs as much as any engineer. But when I look at 1 +2 and it does not makes me feel good enough to overlook 4 + 5.

If the plan is have only 1 or 2 major changes and to hope we play the bottom 3 acc teams and a low level sec or other power 5 team, we can expect record to often be like 15.
I have been ready to be a part of the change.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Everyone has an opinion , just because I don't agree does not mean it's not the right opinion . I like CPJ and want to see him stay . I do think our offense has improved , and look forward to watching it next year with all the young OL we have coming back. Most people said they would be happy at the start of the year if we would win 7 or 8 games after last . Tech is not an easy place to coach we have real SA's . All I want at this time is to beat uga.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
CPJ's history at GT shows that when he has a senior laden/talented team every 4 years or so then we have a great year, imo 2017 will be good, and 2018 will be a special year for us much like '09 or '14

Techster

Helluva Engineer
CPJ's history at GT shows that when he has a senior laden/talented team every 4 years or so then we have a great year, imo 2017 will be good, and 2018 will be a special year for us much like '09 or '14

We beat UGA and win our bowl game, this is a VERY good year by GT standards. 9 wins isn't something to be taken for granted around here. If the Fighting Ted Roofs would have played like they have the last two games all year, we could looking at a team with 10+ wins at the end of the year.

As you alluded to, timing is everything with a school like ours.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
1.But if u win against the mercer or equals that's 2 wins.
2.But if u beat the bottom 3 teams in acc, that s 3 more wins.
3.If you beat a low level sec team, that's 1 more.
4. Win one out of 5 against the good Acc teams (C,P,M,Unc,vt ), & that's 1 more.
5. Then maybe beat uga if we play lights out.

Hey that's where we are!

I love stats , percentages and graphs as much as any engineer. But when I look at 1 +2 and it does not makes me feel good enough to overlook 4 + 5.

If the plan is have only 1 or 2 major changes and to hope we play the bottom 3 acc teams and a low level sec or other power 5 team, we can expect record to often be like 15.
I have been ready to be a part of the change.
You've solved it. All you have to do is get that schedule.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yes, people are hungry to have what GSU is experiencing... but our experience will be much worse. They desperately want to play lower like Virginia. They are not satisfied with up and down years with a school that has our disadvantages.

You do realize you have to hire a HC and a OC? You don't have 2.5MM... you have 1.7 at best, word on the street is you (GT) do(does) not support your coach and a school that requires you to go to class.