Paul Johnson's job

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
That's it. But Tech is missing out if only because football success helps get better students too.

Of every executive I know in Atlanta whose kid did not attend Tech, they went to Alabama. 100%.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Pretty good article discussing Navy's continued success that gives credit to CPJ as well.

http://www.capitalgazette.com/sport...-wags-follow-memphis-1024-20161023-story.html

One of the things they touch on is "coaching brain drain"...and how Coach Ken has been able to keep his staff intact for the most part since he's been promoted at Navy.

Although CPJ's offenses have continued to produce for the most part since he's been here, CPJ hasn't had the same luxury. If you look at all the coaches he's lost over the years: A good portion of his offensive and DEFENSIVE staff when he moved to GT (Most notably Coach Ken and Ivin Jasper, as well as VERY underrated D coordinator Buddy Green), Todd Spencer (let go), Brian Bohannon (to KSU), Jeff Monken (to GA Southern and now at Army). I'm sure I'm missing others...like Charles Kelly.

That's a lot of very talented coaches CPJ has had to replace over the years.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
He is not keeping us happy by making bonehead decisions like going for it 4/1 on the 33 yd line with 1 min to go in a tied game.We need a change!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I liked the call. It was actually more smart than gutsy. We just didn't execute.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It was a good call. And totally consistent with his philosophy.

Poor execution.

Did you see the Falcon's 4th and 1 play? HORRIBLE! Charger's DL totally stonewalled and got penetration on the 3rd and 1 play Matt Ryan tried to do a QB sneak on the previous play. So what do the Falcons do the next play? Line up the RB 7 yards further back and give hand him the ball. What did the Chargers do?! Stonewall the OL, get penetration and drop the Falcon's RB for a loss. Rinse, Repeat.

LOVED that the Falcons went for it, hate the play. Yep...that's how I feel about CPJ's call on that play.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Going for it no problem.

Sure would have preferred a better play call.

Wish we had not run over left guard where the 330# nt was set up. Possible check over right side with a called double team. Wonder if will went high and expected help from burden ?

Bottom line - failed.
Coach manned up and took the blame .
I believe we will start making these as the ol matures.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Going for it no problem.

Sure would have preferred a better play call.

Wish we had not run over left guard where the 330# nt was set up. Possible check over right side with a called double team. Wonder if will went high and expected help from burden ?

Bottom line - failed.
Coach manned up and took the blame .
I believe we will start making these as the ol matures.

Iiuc, the play call was not over left guard. Because of a cascade of little errors, that's just where it ended up.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
There is no statistical argument for not going for it on 4th down and short, in almost every conceivable circumstance.

With CPJ's approach to the game, this is correct. He is one of the few college coaches that includes 4th down conversions as part of the top key stats from the game. Power clubs like Alabama do not.

Different philosophy to play the same game.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
My daughter broke her foot and has been stuck at the TV watching pieces of virtually all the college football games the last three weeks, and I have joined her a lot. GT may be out weighed, out run, out recruited, out financed, and academically handicapped but we are actually playing sound fundamental football compared to most of the other teams who are constantly missing tackles, whiffing on blocks and blitzes, dropping passes, fumbling, jumping and lining up offsides, and clipping/chopping/facemasking, not to mention poor clock management, poor/illegal substitution, and poor play calling especially in the red zone. I am proud we are rarely involved in poor sportsmanship, cheap shots, and not giving a winning effort for 60 minutes. We are not a great team but in the grand scheme of things we are NOT OUTCOACHED and we play more than a respectable and fundamental game of football on gameday. We also have as our main goal to continue to grind to get better. I am proud of our team and our coaches.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
This is particularly effective for increasing attendance by Georgia and US citizens. (Note: I recently visiting a school at Tech and asked 4 people for directions. All Chinese. We don't speak English. Pathetic.)

Lol....I'm not certain they don't habla....My father in law (Vietnamese) plays this game with police when pulled over for speeding....can't tell ya how many tickets he has gotten out of doing this. I'm betting they just didn't want to bother helping give you directions :D

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I wonder if Ted could accept a demotion to say recruiting coordinator/LB coach, that would still let him coach his son and stay where his heart is.

Would you do this in his shoes. But it wouldn't be played this way even if it were to happen. They'd hire new guy and make him co-DCs with TR to spin it in positive light. Or maybe make TR assistant head coach.

Just not likely to happen. If CPJ wanted to make a change he would and TR would leave. His son, if not signed would commit elsewhere, if signed by then he would be granted a release. (If it were to happen it would happen before signing day IMO)

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Those of you that think CPJ will return to GSU or Hawaii....well let's just say I question your reasoning.

If CPJ happened to get fired this year, I think Boston College might consider him. I wonder if Notre Dame might. The thought of what CPJ could do at ND, if given the chance....lets just say I don't think the head coaches at Michigan, Stanford, USC, or the ACC would care to see that.

It will be interesting to see where he ends up if he leaves. Yeah I'd pull for ND to get him but their AD might get scared off by the scheme stereotype concerns. They were impressed with the over achievement a prior Tech coach displayed here. This would really only be likely following a very good year end result this and maybe next year.

If things do get turned around and we get back to ACCCG......Id be surprised if CPJ didn't look for greener pastures. Barring fundamental change in commitment by the school.

Last edited:

Milwaukee

Banned
Did you see the Falcon's 4th and 1 play? HORRIBLE! Charger's DL totally stonewalled and got penetration on the 3rd and 1 play Matt Ryan tried to do a QB sneak on the previous play. So what do the Falcons do the next play? Line up the RB 7 yards further back and give hand him the ball. What did the Chargers do?! Stonewall the OL, get penetration and drop the Falcon's RB for a loss. Rinse, Repeat.

LOVED that the Falcons went for it, hate the play. Yep...that's how I feel about CPJ's call on that play.

The 4th down playcall was terrible. A zone read play with no blocker with a smaller Freeman (Coleman was out hurt) against a stacked box. If he bootlegs he walks for 15 yards. But I was on a bar stool, so what do I know.

1979jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
That's it. But Tech is missing out if only because football success helps get better students too.

Of every executive I know in Atlanta whose kid did not attend Tech, they went to Alabama. 100%.[/QU

Of every executive I know in Atlanta whose kid did not attend Tech, they went to Alabama. 100%.
:muted: i think i have tape over my mouth. let me just say alabama certainly wasn't at the top of my list. in fact they didn't even come into mind.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

As a UAB grad, I will tell you this is BS. Alabama grads are doing OK in Birmingham, but it is absolutely absurd to say they are anything but trivial in Atlanta.

Times have changed at Tech. Football success probably no longer has anything at all to do with getting better students. At my reunion party Friday night, Peterson said that Tech currently has around 1400 openings each year and 30,000 applicants (I don't remember the exact numbers, but something like that ratio). He also said the current average SAT scores for admitted students is 1400. Tech is going to get those students regardless of success on the football field or basketball arena. More football success will get us better STUDENT-athletes for sure, but not better STUDENTS. It is what it is.