Paul Johnson's job

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
listen, I have been yelling at the lack of GTAA support for years. But lets be real today

Roof makes 750k. That is top 26 in all of ncaa football for assistants. He is top 15 for all of DC.

Pelton and McCollum are paid very competitively for positions coaches.

So for the defense staff only. Not recruiting staff. not offense. But just that staff. We are top 1/3 of all of football in salaries. We can do better. We need to have better coaches IMO (BTW I like Pelton)

Lots of GOOD DC's out there for $750k year.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
listen, I have been yelling at the lack of GTAA support for years. But lets be real today

Roof makes 750k. That is top 26 in all of ncaa football for assistants. He is top 15 for all of DC.

Pelton and McCollum are paid very competitively for positions coaches.

So for the defense staff only. Not recruiting staff. not offense. But just that staff. We are top 1/3 of all of football in salaries. We can do better. We need to have better coaches IMO (BTW I like Pelton)
Why does Pelton get a pass? We have one of the worst DL's in all of college football and yet he is the cat's meow and Roof is the devil?

jandrews

Jolly Good Fellow
Talent on the DL was down from when Groh was here. It is slowly getting better but honestly this is where we are suffering the most. This is where the ACC as a conference has improved the most and part of the reason for Tech's most recent struggles. OL and DL need to be improved.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
If you are like me you often don';t click on links you have seen in threads. So, I know this was in another thread, but I did find this data interesting:
College WSJ/THE College Rank Conf. Win % (Since 2006)
Duke 7 .293
North Carolina 30 .518
Miami 37 .500
Georgia Tech 51 .595
Wake Forest 54 .398
Virginia 56 .370
Pittsburgh 59 .538
Boston College 63 .446
Syracuse 106 .269
North Carolina State 143 .383

This data shows the school's academic ranking, followed by its conference winning % since 2006. We don't look bad under these criteria, which is likely a reasonable way to view GT (and CPJ).

Of cours,e this does not attempt to measure the last two years, which is what we are all grumbling about. But it does put some perspective on the issue...

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
I wonder if Ted could accept a demotion to say recruiting coordinator/LB coach, that would still let him coach his son and stay where his heart is.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If you are like me you often don';t click on links you have seen in threads. So, I know this was in another thread, but I did find this data interesting:
College WSJ/THE College Rank Conf. Win % (Since 2006)
Duke 7 .293
North Carolina 30 .518
Miami 37 .500
Georgia Tech 51 .595
Wake Forest 54 .398
Virginia 56 .370
Pittsburgh 59 .538
Boston College 63 .446
Syracuse 106 .269
North Carolina State 143 .383

This data shows the school's academic ranking, followed by its conference winning % since 2006. We don't look bad under these criteria, which is likely a reasonable way to view GT (and CPJ).

Of cours,e this does not attempt to measure the last two years, which is what we are all grumbling about. But it does put some perspective on the issue...
I did not check the link so I am not sure the criteria used for academic ranking. I can see Duke's ranking but the North Carolina through Boston College rankings all seem like apples to oranges. North Carolina has incredible honors programs coupled with phony classes and artificial degrees for athletes. Miami? Does this include grad school? Tech, Wake and Virginia all seem about right but those other schools have tracks that include virtually no math. Boston College seems ranked a little low. Jesuit schools are seriously rigorous, whereas Duke was having a problem a few years ago with grade inflation due to so many students showing up for class drunk and the professors having to curve grades.

No particular point. I like the statistical comparison but think that the academic rankings vs. football wins might be even more eye opening if some of the finer points of difference between the different schools could some how be factored in.

I give up. If you believe he only won at historic levels at Navy because he had superior talent, have at it. Also, if you would take Shawn Jones's last year of 8-5 in 1991 or Hamilton's last year of 8-4 in 1999 over 11-3 with an Orange Bowl victory in 2014 or 11-3 with an ACC championship in 2009, have at it. I have to assume you are trolling. Easy enough to put people who hold opinions like that on ignore. Thanks for stopping by.
You're leaving 1990 out of comment? Did u forget? You take 2 OB for 1 NC? Loser I have to assume. Yes ignore

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
If some changes are not made on the staff the end of the season, then next year is probably PJ's last year. I personally want him to be able to retire at GT but it is obvious that he needs to do something different with the defense. I just see us playing a vanilla, conservative defense with average and somewhat undersized players at several positions.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Well obviously there would be a paycut involved

Would you willingly cut your pay by 2/3? All because people don't like the way you do your job? Ultimately, CTR has to keep CPJ happy. CPJ has to keep the GTAA happy. The GTAA has to keep money coming in. We (fans) don't necessarily have to be happy for that last part of the equation to work.

techman33908

Georgia Tech Fan
He is not keeping us happy by making bonehead decisions like going for it 4/1 on the 33 yd line with 1 min to go in a tied game.We need a change!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is not keeping us happy by making bonehead decisions like going for it 4/1 on the 33 yd line with 1 min to go in a tied game.We need a change!

When you have a defense that would probably have allowed the Pitt offense to get back in FG range with a couple of plays anyway, then that was far from a boneheaded decision IMO. I was glad that he went for it; it just didn't work.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

Read this part of my post again: " The GTAA has to keep money coming in. We (fans) don't necessarily have to be happy for that last part of the equation to work."

Our happiness is secondary to profit.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Our happiness is secondary to profit.

There's a lot of truth to that. I think as long as the program is profitable (and it is) and marginally successful, you won't see any meaningful change.

Ironically, I think you can do both. If you assume that we will end up with 64-75 teams in FBS (or Division I or whatever you want to call it), our goal should be to be in the Top 25 ... which suggests a record of 8-3 each year better in some years than others, but overall, we should expect something around that. To get there, GTAA would have to improve revenue about $25MM a year AND start a decent booster program. Doing those two things will take care of a LOT of other problems since many of the other problems can be solved with $$$.

I'm hopeful that Todd gets this. He remembers Homer Rice and that's what Homer did ... raise the money, then raise the bar ... rinse and repeat.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
There's a lot of truth to that. I think as long as the program is profitable (and it is) and marginally successful, you won't see any meaningful change.

Ironically, I think you can do both. If you assume that we will end up with 64-75 teams in FBS (or Division I or whatever you want to call it), our goal should be to be in the Top 25 ... which suggests a record of 8-3 each year better in some years than others, but overall, we should expect something around that. To get there, GTAA would have to improve revenue about $25MM a year AND start a decent booster program. Doing those two things will take care of a LOT of other problems since many of the other problems can be solved with $$$.

I'm hopeful that Todd gets this. He remembers Homer Rice and that's what Homer did ... raise the money, then raise the bar ... rinse and repeat.

Yeah. I think both can be done as well. My point was that the GTAA, ar any other universitiess AA for that matter, will default to revenue and profit first. Keeping fans "generally" happy will suffice for most schools as college football fans tend to be obsessive and buy tickets/merchandise regardless of the W/L results. The GTAA challenge is expanding revenue. There is a general baseline that they know they can achieve in spite of on field/court results. This is true everywhere.