Paul Johnson's job

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Plus, I think it is notable to compare Tech against its other comparable academic STEM schools and note the huge discrepancy in athletics. We can and should be proud of that.

I think the stats are that fewer than 2% of all college athletes make it to the NFL. Our goal should be tell a SA, "Come to Tech and you will have a great life. You *might* get the NFL. But even if you don't, you'll do well." I think we should be proud of that.

I am always a bit sad to find a former athlete, a star in college no less, who works a dead end job .. if he has a job at all.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
There comes a point when the probability of successful execution Trump's the clever play calling...if you consistenly are not executing a play calling adjustment should be a component of the play calling consideration....

While I agree with your comment, there are two addenda to be added.

First ... shouldn't the quality control coach be involved to tell CPJ that this play is not working too well?

Second ... a lot of teams, most probably, use a play call sheet with the top 35 plays or so to be used and that were practiced during the week. In other words, these are the plays that we have practiced and part of our game plan today and thus, more likely to succeed.

I understand that CPJ doesn't use play call sheets. Is that true? Does anyone know?

While I agree with your comment, there are two addenda to be added.

First ... shouldn't the quality control coach be involved to tell CPJ that this play is not working too well?

Second ... a lot of teams, most probably, use a play call sheet with the top 35 plays or so to be used and that were practiced during the week. In other words, these are the plays that we have practiced and part of our game plan today and thus, more likely to succeed.

I understand that CPJ doesn't use play call sheets. Is that true? Does anyone know?
Pretty sure that he does not use any kind of play call sheet. It's all in his head, and he definitely should know when such and such play is not working too well. And I feel sure that he not only SHOULD know, but he DOES know.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I would argue the % of STEM majors is relevant, as that necessarily defines the % of non-STEM options available. So, while it is true that most GT football players (not sure about athletes as a whole) take a non-STEM program, those non-STEM programs are very limited and, if you don't want to do business, now you are down to only about 3 obscure major options at Tech. Take away STEM and business from Stanford, and I am pretty sure incoming athletes still have a heck of a lot of options to chose from.

Plus, I think it is notable to compare Tech against its other comparable academic STEM schools and note the huge discrepancy in athletics. We can and should be proud of that.

When was the last time you looked at majors offered at GT on the undergraduate level?

http://www.gatech.edu/academics/bachelors-degree-programs

The fact that GT ranks in the top 5 starting salaries for Liberal Arts majors says tells you that GT, while renowned for STEM and still a heavy STEM school, STEM majors isn't the 100 pound gorilla some are making it out to be.

If you look at the top majors in all of college, GT's offers a good portion of them or an equivalent of them:

http://www.princetonreview.com/college-advice/top-ten-college-majors
http://college.usatoday.com/2014/10/26/same-as-it-ever-was-top-10-most-popular-college-majors/

The #1 undergraduate level major is business. Has been for quite a while. GT has one of the top business schools. Instead of emphasizing STEM, maybe GT also needs to emphasize how great our business school is, and the business opportunities available within a 5 minute MARTA ride from campus.

So while we should be proud that GT graduates are 75% STEM majors, let's also point out that our Liberal Arts majors and business majors are pretty well respected in their own right. It's also those non-STEM majors that are most popular with our scholarship SAs in football.

When was the last time you looked at majors offered at GT on the undergraduate level?

The fact that GT ranks in the top 5 starting salaries for Liberal Arts majors says tells you that GT, while renowned for STEM and still a heavy STEM school, STEM majors isn't the 100 pound gorilla some are making it out to be.

If you look at the top majors in all of college, GT's offers a good portion of them or an equivalent of them:

http://college.usatoday.com/2014/10/26/same-as-it-ever-was-top-10-most-popular-college-majors/

The #1 undergraduate level major is business. Has been for quite a while. GT has one of the top business schools. Instead of emphasizing STEM, maybe GT also needs to emphasize how great our business school is, and the business opportunities available within a 5 minute MARTA ride from campus.

So while we should be proud that GT graduates are 75% STEM majors, let's also point out that our Liberal Arts majors and business majors are pretty well respected in their own right. It's also those non-STEM majors that are most popular with our scholarship SAs in football.
But they ALL still require completion of at least the Survey of Calculus, something that no liberal arts universities require.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Hard to evaluate this. I know kids who go to UT, hardly an academic powerhouse, who could've gone to Tech.

Mindless martini lunch ramblings.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
My old age caused me to forget name of this econ professor who got to see gtaa facilities on game day.
she was to walk up w team but due to disability meet her students near gtaa.

She really talked up the quality of the BA circiculum. the LOCATION OF A TOP BA SCHOOL IN A WORLD CLASS CITY is an easy sell. By way she really like the SA in her class especially parker.
20161015_103109.jpg

Hard to evaluate this. I know kids who go to UT, hardly an academic powerhouse, who could've gone to Tech.

Mindless martini lunch ramblings.
Remember, just because they COULD have gone to Tech does not mean they would have been ACCEPTED by Tech. As Peterson said in his remarks at my reunion party Friday night, the competition is STIFF for admittance, and not everybody who we think COULD have gotten in actually does.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

I agree that business is a top undergraduate major, that Tech has a great business program, and that we should be selling this to athletes. However, I have no reason to believe we are not already placing great emphasis on our business degree (as evinced by the fact that something like 50%+ of our football players major in business). I am sure we also greatly emphasize Atlanta. So, I don't think you are suggesting anything that isn't already done in recruiting. I am pretty sure we are not pressing aerospace to most of the 4* recruits we go after. That said, while business may be the most popular undergraduate major, I doubt that is the case for the top football athletes in the power 5 conferences.

Outside of the schools of computing, architecture, engineering, and science, I see only bachelors degrees available at Tech in Business Administration; Applied Language and Intercultural Studies; Computational Media, Economics; History, Science, and Technology; International Affairs; Literature, Media, and Communications,; and Public Policy. That does not sound to me like what I read on TV for most top football athletes. And, notably, unlike most schools, those majors are all "Bachelor of Science" degrees and tend to have a science/technology leaning in the curriculum (similar programs are Bachelor of Arts degrees at other schools, like Stanford). For some further perspective, here are a few representative figures for the total number of all students at Tech currently majoring in some of those programs: Public Policy (64), Applied Language and Intercultural Studies (22), History, Science, and Technology (28), Literature, Media, and Communications (92). That is the entire student body, so it is not like those are huge majors at Tech that athletes are flooding into.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
A recent bleacher report cited the most popular majors for ACC and SEC football players as follows:
African American Studies (UF) --Tech does't have.
Agricultural Leadership and Development (Texas A&M) --Tech does't have.
Arts and Sciences (BC, Pitt, UVA) --Tech does't have.
Business (with rankings shown -- Ga Tech (#36), Georgia (#67), Missouri (#76), Alabama (NR), Auburn (NR))
Communication (UL, Syracuse, Vandy) -- Tech does have a BS in Literature, Media, and Communication
Exercise and Sport Science (UNC) --Tech does't have.
General Studies (Ole Miss) --Tech does't have.
Human Development/Science (Va Tech, Miss. St.) --Tech does't have.
Parks, Recreation and Tourism (Clem) --Tech does't have.
Recreation and Sport Management (Arkansas, Tenn) --Tech does't have.
Sociology (Duke) --Tech does't have.
Social Science (FSU) --Tech does't have.
Sports Administration (Miami, LSU) --Tech does't have.
Sport and Entertainment Management (S. Car.) --Tech does't have.
Undergraduate Studies (UK) --Tech does't have.

Other Top 10 Teams:
Advertising (Mich) --Tech does't have.
American Ethnic Studies (Washington) --Tech does't have.
Business (Nebraska (not ranked in Bloomberg's top 114))
Life Sciences Communication (Wisc.) --Tech does't have.
Sport Industry (Ohio St) --Tech does't have.

And...Stanford...Science, Technology, and Society (notably, listed on Stanford's website as "The only major at Stanford to offer both a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Science."). Tech's is only a BS. And, the fact that it is the most popular major on Stanford's football team seems to indicate that they may have more football players majoring in this major than all students combined in Tech's program.)

If you don't see a huge disadvantage in the variety and type of majors offered at Tech compared to most schools (especially the top football schools), I don't know what to tell you.

Source: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-for-2015-power-5-conference-football-players

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
This is very subjective.

First, a top program at a top school is difficult. You can't compare studying advertising at Michigan and a similar program at Central State. The top programs all have labs, creative, etc ... they are challenging.

For example, I studied business at Emory after I went to Tech and have post grad work at Wharton and Northwestern. Tech's program is ok, but it's no world beater. For courses at GSU which is supposed to have a great economics department, I barely cracked a book.

My point? Good degrees are challenging.

Having said that, I DO think Tech should offer a Sports Technology degree. It will appeal to kids who want to mix sports, technology and business in a way you can't do with other programs.

BTW, we are talking about 400 students.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
A recent bleacher report cited the most popular majors for ACC and SEC football players as follows:
African American Studies (UF) --Tech does't have.
Agricultural Leadership and Development (Texas A&M) --Tech does't have.
Arts and Sciences (BC, Pitt, UVA) --Tech does't have.
Business (with rankings shown -- Ga Tech (#36), Georgia (#67), Missouri (#76), Alabama (NR), Auburn (NR))
Communication (UL, Syracuse, Vandy) -- Tech does have a BS in Literature, Media, and Communication
Exercise and Sport Science (UNC) --Tech does't have.
General Studies (Ole Miss) --Tech does't have.
Human Development/Science (Va Tech, Miss. St.) --Tech does't have.
Parks, Recreation and Tourism (Clem) --Tech does't have.
Recreation and Sport Management (Arkansas, Tenn) --Tech does't have.
Sociology (Duke) --Tech does't have.
Social Science (FSU) --Tech does't have.
Sports Administration (Miami, LSU) --Tech does't have.
Sport and Entertainment Management (S. Car.) --Tech does't have.
Undergraduate Studies (UK) --Tech does't have.

Other Top 10 Teams:
Advertising (Mich) --Tech does't have.
American Ethnic Studies (Washington) --Tech does't have.
Business (Nebraska (not ranked in Bloomberg's top 114))
Life Sciences Communication (Wisc.) --Tech does't have.
Sport Industry (Ohio St) --Tech does't have.

And...Stanford...Science, Technology, and Society (notably, listed on Stanford's website as "The only major at Stanford to offer both a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Science."). Tech's is only a BS. And, the fact that it is the most popular major on Stanford's football team seems to indicate that they may have more football players majoring in this major than all students combined in Tech's program.)

If you don't see a huge disadvantage in the variety and type of majors offered at Tech compared to most schools (especially the top football schools), I don't know what to tell you.

Source: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-for-2015-power-5-conference-football-players

Now you're trying to move the goal post. No one has argued it's an easier job to keep kids eligible or recruit to varied majors at other schools. That is not the discussion.

I think you're missing the point. I've already stated : I've said over and over that GT's academic environment precludes us from recruiting certain kinds of SAs. The fact that GT is a place where we can't hide SAs simply because GT across all majors is difficult isn't something new. No one disagrees with that.

How is that me not "seeing a huge disadvantage"? Clearly I'm stating we are at a disadvantage, BUT there are enough majors at GT to attract 15-20 kids a year to sign with us. How many of those scholarship players GT signs end up in a STEM major? If someone is going to make a point out of STEM majors, lets apply the statistic correctly. Kids for various reasons do not sign here outside of academics. Offense (DeShaun Watson, Joshua Dobbs...even though he's majoring in Aerospace Eng. at UT), inability of staff to close (Stephon Tuitt), not liking a certain coach (Shane Skov), Atlanta is too big of a city (forget the name of the recruit, but it was a DT that ended up signing with Iowa), etc.

If you want to say GT needs more majors, that's fine. That's not the argument I'm making. I'm simply stating that if someone chooses to make STEM majors a qualifier, let's show how many of our SAs are actually majoring in STEM fields. You're trying to argue something else that I'm not disagreeing with you about.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
There was a certain huge fullback in my first freshman Calculus class in 1972. He was probably a junior or senior. It was his third or fourth try as, sadly, Calculus was not his forte. He got a sympathy pass from the professor that quarter upon his firm promise not to tell anyone who "taught" him Calculus.