Paul Johnson's job

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Nice analysis, but couldn't it just be we wanted more badly? It would have been incredibly easy to have just given up. They didn't. Beautiful 94 yd drive and the Dive from Five.

Heart. How do you analyze that?
With the only stat that matters. It starts with a W

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not trying to argue but what makes you feel that CTR has showed you he has what it takes? This is a serious question, and the only reason I ask is because our D has been pretty awful.
Well to be honest we only have one player on D that would play at UGA and that's 15. Maybe we can improve on that but when most kids are eliminated from Tech before the recruiter gets out of the guidance office it's tough to get competitive players. 15s father is a principal who values a GT education. To be honest most do not.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Well to be honest we only have one player on D that would play at UGA and that's 15. Maybe we can improve on that but when most kids are eliminated from Tech before the recruiter gets out of the guidance office it's tough to get competitive players. 15s father is a principal who values a GT education. To be honest most do not.
Still there are teams that we are just as talented as that have way better D's. Imo it's more about the scheme over anything.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
With the only stat that matters. It starts with a W
Correct. From Ramblinwreck.com
"Georgia Tech finished the regular season with an 8-4 overall record, which is the fourth time in Paul Johnson's nine seasons as head coach (2008-present) that Georgia Tech has won at least eight regular-season games. Prior to Johnson's arrival in 2008, Georgia Tech had won eight or more regular-season games only eight times in the previous 51 seasons (1957-2007)."

"Head coach Paul Johnson became the second coach in Georgia Tech history with three wins at Georgia (2008, 2014 and 2016), joining Bobby Dodd, who won at UGA five times (1950, 1952, 1954, 1956 and 1962)."

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
"Georgia Tech finished the regular season with an 8-4 overall record, which is the fourth time in Paul Johnson's nine seasons as head coach (2008-present) that Georgia Tech has won at least eight regular-season games. Prior to Johnson's arrival in 2008, Georgia Tech had won eight or more regular-season games only eight times in the previous 51 seasons (1957-2007)."

"Head coach Paul Johnson became the second coach in Georgia Tech history with three wins at Georgia (2008, 2014 and 2016), joining Bobby Dodd, who won at UGA five times (1950, 1952, 1954, 1956 and 1962)."
Not to discount anything because it is impressive. Most teams usually play 1 extra game now than 20+ years ago.

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
Still there are teams that we are just as talented as that have way better D's. Imo it's more about the scheme over anything.
You're welcome to your opinion. I base mine off if 30+ years coaching experience and personal knowledge of what goes on in recruiting in the state of GA.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
You're welcome to your opinion. I base mine off if 30+ years coaching experience and personal knowledge of what goes on in recruiting in the state of GA.
I respect that, but I have been around it as well just not quite as long. And I understand what we are trying to do on D and from my experience we don't have the guys to do it. But we are all entitled to our opinion.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

Old days comparison - played 10 games while I was there and we didn't play elon mercer etc.
Comparing to Chan-he got,fired.
But we never beat uga with Chan and he acted like no big deal . He was wrong.

Jmonty71

Banned
Just some education here. GT will rarely get high ranked recruits. Here's the reason why. By the time most highly ranked high school kids are identified, they are juniors. A lot of them have already been approached by scouts, agents and other recruiters. Kids that are in less than great financial areas are promised money and fame. This is where agents "steer" these kids. So, of course, they pick schools that they only plan to spend 3 years at. You see, they use the NCAA, not for education, but as a 3 year audition. So, they pick a school that they either get easy classes or don't even have to attend class. Seen it.... UNC in the late 90s. Half the basketball team, never attended classes. Heck Lawrence Taylor couldn't read and graduated. As I said, my Marine brother has a son. 17 now, junior QB. 6-5 220 lbs. Runs about 4.4.... he has been approached by scouts, coacbes, agents... promised money if they attend this or that school. I was told UNC offered Mike jr. a job, even.

Point is, GT has morals, CPJ has morals. Neither will stoop down to the level Bama, UGA, UNC and other such schools. Plus, we actually make our kids learn and attend classes. For the kid that just wants to play for 3 years and jump to the NFL, this isn't appealing to them.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Fewer than 5% of players make it to the NFL, so there's still a pool of players to work with. That's why development is, imho, far more important than just recruiting.

We have to create extraordinary play from ordinary players. Another reason to become expert at what we do, and not changing with every new coach. If we ever lost CPJ, I'd go after Ken N at Navy in a heartbeat.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don't want just smart kids. I want smart, well-rounded kids.

If more apply because of football, more will be accepted and tech should prefer the well rounded with the same SAT as those who aren't.

If you think there aren't many valedictorians or 1400 SAT score students at Bama or UGA, your just plain wrong.
Sure there are but from experience with friends who kids chose UGA or Bama, it had little to do with the football team. They were offered full rides and stipends and a whole bunch of other financial incentives I did not believe were even possible. It usually came down to, "I could go to Harvard but my parents would have to shell out money or I could go to uga and my parents would practically make money on the deal." One friend of mine had his daughter wooed so hard by Alabama (with such incredible financial perks) that he started humming the Alabama fight song whenever he was around her. And he was an IE grad from Tech.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think the stats are that fewer than 2% of all college athletes make it to the NFL. Our goal should be tell a SA, "Come to Tech and you will have a great life. You *might* get the NFL. But even if you don't, you'll do well." I think we should be proud of that.

I am always a bit sad to find a former athlete, a star in college no less, who works a dead end job .. if he has a job at all.
And last I checked, 80% of NFL players end up bankrupt or in financial ruin. It is such fool's gold for youngsters to think this is an easy way to success.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Just an observation and viewpoint I have formed throughout this season. It seems there is a growing fatigue with our football program in general. I see that in Coach Johnson and some of his staff. A frustration with the inability to improve on our blocking and offense in general for him and in our inability to pressure and tackle on defense and get off the field. There seems to be a growing minority of the fan base that is ready for a change, any change. T.here is a sense of underachievement with this team going 7 and 4 this season, valid or not.

I've seen this in business and in life in general. After 9 years a lot of relationships grow stale. Folks want change even if it is just change for change sake. I think we are reaching that point. I really don't feel strongly one way or the other about Coach Johnson staying or leaving. To me Georgia Tech football is bigger than any one personality (even Ted Roof for those that know I am a big fan of his). With Stansbury coming on board, I think he will take a hard look at where things stand and do what he thinks is in the best interest of the program overall. I sense the time for change is near, whether this year or next, I feel it is coming soon.

Go Jackets!
So uga gets brownie points for being bold and making a change, I guess. Losing to Tech, Vanderbilt and Florida in the same year is something that hasn't happened to them since 1961. Throw in Tennessee and it has never happened. uga fans are consoling themselves with talk that this is what rebuilding looks like. But I have to say, Kirby Smart looked totally inept against CPJ on Saturday.

Georgia really has regressed since Richt left.

slugboy

Staff member
I'm not trying to argue but what makes you feel that CTR has showed you he has what it takes? This is a serious question, and the only reason I ask is because our D has been pretty awful.

"Our D has been awful"...compared to what? Our D is ranked about the same as it has been since the CPJ era and in the O'Leary era. He at least seems to be recruiting better than his predecessors. The blips in having a good D that stand out are during the Ross era and when Tenuta was here. (Yes, I've heard plenty of gripes about Tenuta, but he's the last time we were a top 30 defense, but he also was surrounded by a great crew of recruiters)
We seem to stay solid in the secondary. Front 7 could use work, but the DL is improving (fingers crossed). There are some scheme and emphasis changes that can make us better too.
I've seen enough "swapping out the DC" here over the last few years that I'd like us to focus on getting incrementally better each year and improving what we have.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk