Paul Johnson's job

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
Because he slowed the offense down, allowing Justin to check things before the ball snap. The offense, for the most part, and in spite of Justin's two TERRIBLE fumbles, produced and looked efficient. The defense, though not nearly aggressive enough played good enough to win. When the offense learns to play up-tempo, and they will, then I see us returning to 2014 form.

Justin took a major hit in the previous play. Our backup is more than serviceable and should playing a couple of series a game anyhow. We have always done this until this year why not now? That second fumble and TD in my mind was all on CPJ. Justin should have sat out that series and been checked out, he was obviously hurting. I expect CPJ to make the right decision for the player and the team in these type of situations.

IMHO, CMR changed his play calling to ball control and field position the rest of the game except one series where UM shredded us with the controlled passing game. I don't see the result being drastically different if JT did not make the second fumble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
IMG_0603.JPG
So what did he post? I don't see a link to it, just comments about it

One of the ug players posted this last night

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Honestly we need to just stay on the CPJ wagon and enjoy the ride, he's ours till the end of '17 minimum, so any dissension is just going to hurt recruiting and accomplish absolutely nothing else. We know good and damned well we can't realistically expect consistent 10-11 win seasons so just enjoy whatever the season brings and wait for those magical special ones every 4-5 years.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Honestly we need to just stay on the CPJ wagon and enjoy the ride, he's ours till the end of '17 minimum, so any dissension is just going to hurt recruiting and accomplish absolutely nothing else. We know good and damned well we can't realistically expect consistent 10-11 win seasons so just enjoy whatever the season brings and wait for those magical special ones every 4-5 years.
Good points that you make Ugablows. I agree that a coaching change probably wont happen until the end of the 2017 season.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Just curious if anyone close to the program knows how the players view CPJ? I always hear about how players love coaches like Dabo and Herman, etc.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Firing Johnson without changing the underlying fundamentals of support for the team by the administration, boosters and alumni will result in a change for the worse.

Maybe Todd can bring about the needed changes, but a new coach shouldn't be the priority.
Sorry GTL, but here are the problems. No real good H.S. players want to play for johnson with the TO. Eliminate johnson, hire a competent wide open offense head coach and watch the recruiting improve.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Johnson isn't going anywhere. We can't afford to fire him. Who the hell could we get to come here with no money for a HC and no money for a decent staff? Plus, limited majors and an academic department that doesn't give a **** about football? Seriously, who? It's not like Chan and his supposed NFL talent lit it up here either. We had the greatest receiver ever and managed 6 points to Wake. 4 field goals in a loss to Uga, who kicked 5. We haven't been all that relevant since 1990, minus 2014 and maybe a GOL year somewhere in between. We are what we are until the Hill lets us be who "we" think we are. And no, I'm not saying we should settle for this but 7/8 wins a year at Tech is pretty damn good. And when CPJ does go, we need to stick with some sort of option offense because I sure as hell don't want to watch us try to go back to a pro style and win 3 games a year for 4 years until we get it right. Staff changes yes. Fire the best coach we've had in 20 years? Hell F'ing no!

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
This is just my opinion but I don't think we should be talking about firing CPJ right now. Let's let this season play itself out. With that being said, I think the new AD has a ton of work to do. Fyi, I am one of those what you call a "sidewalk fan" (I'm also a season ticket holder). On Friday, I went to Academy Sports store in Hiram. I was looking for a GT shirt. I walked around the men's section for 15 minutes and found nothing. The only GT item I saw in the entire store was one mini basketball. Of course they had a ton of uga gear. I went to the cashier and asked, "Where is the Georgia Tech stuff." After jokingly making cracks at my team, he politely said there was a licensing issue with the school and that's why they don't always have a lot of GT stuff. This doesn't make sense to me. GT is a great school with a great history. There should be GT merchandise in stores everywhere in the metro Atlanta area. This is a problem. Where is the marketing? No wonder we don't consistently fill up BDS with our fans. It's sad we don't sell out every game. I should not be hearing at the game that there are tickets still available to the next home game. I think this is something the new AD needs to address immediately.
Winning football games can cure alot of problems.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
while I agree with the logic, the most disappointing aspect to me is that, after this many years into the regime, the topic about CPJ's status is even on the table. When he came in, we knew there were people opposed to that system.I had hoped that he would, given time, prove the naysayers wrong. I disliked the dissension and division amongst the fanbase during the previous regime. and don't want to see a repeat of same.
Holy cow 4shotB, "given time"?? season # 9 saying "hello".

Holy cow 4shotB, "given time"?? season # 9 saying "hello".
And in 9 seasons, he has taken us to the OB twice, winning once, had a top-5 rushing team how many times?, and won the ACC once, despite the stupid NCAA. That's more than we had done in the previous 9 years, and more than the mutts have done. So to you, I say "HELLO"

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Let bring is a super duper, hot, up and coming, wide open, throw it 70 times a game coach who know ALL the RIGHT HS coaches and can convince 20 5* players a year to commit to Tech! Yeah, that's the ticket!!!! Unicorns and skittles for the Tech masses! That would convince EVERY sidewalk fan in the SE, hell the WORLD to pledge undying loyalty to the Tech football program for as long as ye both shall live!!!!

Did I leave out anyone or anything??????????????

SMDH at the absolute ability of some folks to ignore reality.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Sorry GTL, but here are the problems. No real good H.S. players want to play for johnson with the TO. Eliminate johnson, hire a competent wide open offense head coach and watch the recruiting improve.

It is probably harder to convince a 5* coach to come to GT than it is a 5* recruit. Especially with the budget we have to work with.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
There is little evidence to support the claim that a new head coach running a more conventional offense would have anything other than a minor uptick in recruiting at best.

GTFLETCH

Banned
Do you think CPJ's job is in jeopardy if GT is 7-6 after the Bowl game? I think if that is the case GT will have to win 8-9 games in 2017 for him to keep his job.
No...going to a Bowl game is the expectation so the only way he enters on the hot seat next year is if we end up 4 or 5 wins and miss a bowl this year..