Paul Johnson's job

One thing is for sure, if CPJ can't figure out why the O keeps imploding, making mistakes or can't execute then I would be concerned about his future here. Seeing these kind of issues carry over from last year makes me wonder if something just isn't working with his coaching. This team and his offense can compete at the higher level, we have seen that, and its frustrating to not see that happening again
Slowing it down today and making JT make checks before snapping the ball seemed to pay off big time. Still not perfect, but MUCH better

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Do you think CPJ's job is in jeopardy if GT is 7-6 after the Bowl game? I think if that is the case GT will have to win 8-9 games in 2017 for him to keep his job.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
There will always be a talent gap as long as Paul Johnson is the head coach. The elite athletes are not interested in playing in our system. !

I'm still trying to remember when Tech beat the factories for all the elite players. I'm afraid I wasn't around back when Dodd was coaching and must have slept through the other years you must be referring to.

Having said that. I think we are very close talent wise to Miami. Hell our skill guys on offense were better than the Miami skill guys IMO. We were close in other positions. I still think our talent is improving with the last couple of classes but it's still young.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
Do you think CPJ's job is in jeopardy if GT is 7-6 after the Bowl game? I think if that is the case GT will have to win 8-9 games in 2017 for him to keep his job.

I just hope we make a bowl this year after blowing the streak. I know some might disagree but we know CPJ is a good coach, one that can field a top 10 team and win the Orange bowl, but if this trend year on year continues of mediocre records, I would be concerned about his coaching abilities

I'm still trying to remember when Tech beat the factories for all the elite players. I'm afraid I wasn't around back when Dodd was coaching and must have slept through the other years you must be referring to.

Having said that. I think we are very close talent wise to Miami. Hell our skill guys on offense were better than the Miami skill guys IMO. We were close in other positions. I still think our talent is improving with the last couple of classes but it's still young.
Even Dodd didn't get all the "elite" players of his day.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I just hope we make a bowl this year after blowing the streak. I know some might disagree but we know CPJ is a good coach, one that can field a top 10 team and win the Orange bowl, but if this trend year on year continues of mediocre records, I would be concerned about his coaching abilities
I hope CPJ can get them back to the level of 2009 and 2014. I hope GT isn't stuck in a rut of mediocre 5-7 win seasons.

VolJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Same here and that's why I'm really hoping these adjustments work out. Seeing a repeat of 2015 with the offensive mistakes and having the continue would be a bad sign
It's starting to look like Pepper Rodgers time at GT from 1974-1979. What happens in the remaining games of 2016 and the games of the 2017 season will decide what will happen to CPJ. I just have a feeling that GT will have a new head coach by 2018

It's starting to look like Pepper Rodgers time at GT from 1974-1979. What happens in the remaining games of 2016 and the games of the 2017 season will decide what will happen to CPJ. I just have a feeling that GT will have a new head coach by 2018
Pepper Rogers was a jerk and was way too much into himself. Johnson WANTS to win, and he won't be satisfied with mediocrity

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I've never been on the fire Paul Johnson train but I was wondering how long do you guys think our new AD will give him if we continue to lose. Not necessarily play poorly, but still lose.
I have stood by Coach Johnson up until now, i have come to this conclusion, we can lose to the big boys Mia, Uga, VT, and Clemson with any coach. I for the 1st time think we need to try somebody else. We dont have anything to lose, going to a conventional offense with a new young coach just might improve recruiting. Whats that guys name Mcintyre,

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I have stood by Coach Johnson up until now, i have come to this conclusion, we can lose to the big boys Mia, Uga, VT, and Clemson with any coach. I for the 1st time think we need to try somebody else. We dont have anything to lose, going to a conventional offense with a new young coach just might improve recruiting. Whats that guys name Mcintyre,
The kids won't have to go to school if we get a new young hot coach?

LarryMunson

Jolly Good Fellow
Just did a major cleanup of this thread which mostly effected posts in the first few pages. Please note that personal attacks against coaches and/or players are against the rules; name calling is a personal attack for those that weren't aware.

Did not give out any warnings as I sympathize with everyone's frustration after this loss regardless of which side of the fence you sit on this topic.
This is the premier board for Tech sports discussion. Thank you for the frustrating yet necessary work.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I'm glad to see him making those adjustments and just hope we can flush these two games and win out the rest of the season.

I think it is at least a likely, maybe even more likely, that we lose out the rest of the season. UNC, Pitt, and VT on the road all look unwinnable to me. Duke, UVa and Georgia Southern are all challenges where those teams "on any given Saturday" can rise up and knock someone off. Georgia....heck, who knows what our mindset will be going into that game. If we are 3-8 or 4-7 going into the UGa game, I think we lose. Even if we win all three home games, we will be 6-5 going into UGa, not exactly a stellar season (although most on the boards would accept that and move on).

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I think it is at least a likely, maybe even more likely, that we lose out the rest of the season. UNC, Pitt, and VT on the road all look unwinnable to me.
Even if we win all three home games, we will be 6-5 going into UGa, not exactly a stellar season (although most on the boards would accept that and move on).

otoh they all are winnable. If we win 8 and beat Uga, it will be a decent to good season. No matter what, what does it look like to "not accept" the results? outside of writing emails, withdrawing financial support and complaining on the internet? I have feen a GT fan for nearly 4 decades and over the years i have found my thoughts' deeds and feelings and the outcomes of football games to be independent events. Mathematically speaking,P(A) = P(A/B) where A is the season record and B my thoughts and actions towards same.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I think it is at least a likely, maybe even more likely, that we lose out the rest of the season. UNC, Pitt, and VT on the road all look unwinnable to me. Duke, UVa and Georgia Southern are all challenges where those teams "on any given Saturday" can rise up and knock someone off. Georgia....heck, who knows what our mindset will be going into that game. If we are 3-8 or 4-7 going into the UGa game, I think we lose. Even if we win all three home games, we will be 6-5 going into UGa, not exactly a stellar season (although most on the boards would accept that and move on).

If these team keeps imploding on winnable games then I will be worried. I know his system works, and the adjustments yesterday were good, just not good enough. CPJ has easily been able to beat teams like this in the past, but he just seems baffled on why the offense implodes like this which worries me that something is not being coached right.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
UGA has a huge fan base in Georgia, because they can spell "Dwags", but they can't spell "Yellow Jackets".

Many of the parents of current ugag, non-alum fans were indeed GT fans back in the day. A GT ticket was (very hard to believe now) difficult to come by.

Our HC & Administration ran these non-alums off by dropping SEC, being elitist, killing traditional rivalries and many other reasons. Some being displayed here.

Spelling had nothing to do with it.

65Jacket

GT Athlete
What shouldn't be overlooked is the attendance. The last 2 games the opposition has been out in full force in our home stadium. Are tech fans staying away because of the product on the field?
They are staying away because they are not what I call real fans. Loyalty is #1 in my definition of being a true fan. Do you know that some Dwags are already calling for Smartypants' firing?