Paul Johnson visiting the Ravens today

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I can understand this point of view. I love the option, but at the same time I don't think it's the end all be all. Great fit for Tech, but there may be others that work. I'm just sick and tired of all the posters crapping on the option as if it was the reason for Tech's recent struggles. I'll admit I'm sad to see it go and wish we could keep it and add CGC's obviously great defenses.

I liked it, but was ready for a change. It is a golden age for passing and we are in a hotbed of QBs. That said, CPJ has a lot of knowledge. I am not surprised teams want to hear his insights.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
When the dukes of the world had figured it out then change was needed. That speaks to the fact that the league had caught up.
The ‘14 roster would hold its own vs today’s Duke. Heck, the ‘16 offense would as well. It’s not so much about anybody catching up as it is our roster falling off. And as I pointed out earlier, most of that was not due to recruiting.

Last edited:

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don't hate any offensive system either, but the flip side of that coin are the fans who have an obsession and irrational devotion to CPJ's offense, as if its the end all, be all. That's how the debate in this thread got started. Somebody came along lanenting that we gave up the precious option.
Well, except that the thread was about CPJ being valued by pro coaches. The number of pro coaches who have sought his advice is impressive. So it is a respected system.

In light of that, the fact that some on this thread liked his offensive system more than any other system should not be a threat to you. If you really believe it is an extinct system on the order of the flying wedge then it makes no sense to come on a thread about his expertise just to rain on their parade.

Even if his system is gone forever to the game of football, stretching and distorting facts to try to seal him in his grave seems a little desperate. Again, there is no offensive system that I can think of that I would spend this much time trying to run down. If others like run and gun or pistol or power-I or RPO or any other system I am generally happy to discuss, or just listen to them extol that fact, without getting in a death match to prove that it is the worst system ever and they are just stupid not to see that.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
It's sad that another thread which could have been simply an appreciation for a former coach triggered some to spout nonsense. It still boggles my mind why people who got the coaching change they wanted can't be satisfied and positive for the future without crapping on our past.

Some football basics which apparently need repeating:
1) For the millionth time, it's a team sport. W-L is a measure of team not offense. So citing W-L by itself says nothing about the quality of the offense and offends reason.
2) The faster defenses etc arguments against the offense were made when CPJ brought it to the power5 conference and disproved. Repeating them for the NFL is a speculative faith move and offends reason.
3) I can't think of any other situation where a down year in offensive efficiency has been blamed on the scheme. Like any offensive scheme in football, the spread-option still requires players to make plays, and it is still susceptible to inefficiencies especially when the QB is inconsistent. So, any suggestion that defenses were catching up to the scheme simply from a year or two's data when there were other factors which were likely involved offends reason.
4) As said above, cut-blocking is not the same as chop-blocking which is illegal. Throughout the tenure of CPJ at GT, cut blocking was only legal for players who were inside the tackle box at the snap (OL and Backs in the flexbone). Rule changes about where cut-blocking by these players could take place changed and likely affected the offense some. From a safety standpoint, I fail to see how cut blocking downfield was more dangerous than tackling below the waist by a cornerback. Cut blocking within the tackle box is still legal, even in the NFL, and a common way running backs block in passing plays and OL block in rushing plays.​

Fwiw, I am really enjoying the Collins Culture. I love the tweets with strength and conditioning clips. I love Waffle House Wednesday. I love the branding and the excitement on the recruiting trail. While I am not as optimistic as some, I am hopeful.

So, I'm not somebody who is jumping into every pro-Collins thread trying to throw cold water on the optimism. I've really enjoyed this forum, but I recognize that my time as a very active contributor is over. I was one of the first persons to join and stayed active even when one of the moderators was trying to push me away. Still, for those who complain about people who you perceive as trying to throw cold-water on Collins-optimism, I ask that you model that desire when it comes to threads about CPJ, especially when you don't know what you're talking about.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
It's sad that another thread which could have been simply an appreciation for a former coach triggered some to spout nonsense. It still boggles my mind why people who got the coaching change they wanted can't be satisfied and positive for the future without crapping on our past.

Some football basics which apparently need repeating:
1) For the millionth time, it's a team sport. W-L is a measure of team not offense. So citing W-L by itself says nothing about the quality of the offense and offends reason.
2) The faster defenses etc arguments against the offense were made when CPJ brought it to the power5 conference and disproved. Repeating them for the NFL is a speculative faith move and offends reason.
3) I can't think of any other situation where a down year in offensive efficiency has been blamed on the scheme. Like any offensive scheme in football, the spread-option still requires players to make plays, and it is still susceptible to inefficiencies especially when the QB is inconsistent. So, any suggestion that defenses were catching up to the scheme simply from a year or two's data when there were other factors which were likely involved offends reason.
4) As said above, cut-blocking is not the same as chop-blocking which is illegal. Throughout the tenure of CPJ at GT, cut blocking was only legal for players who were inside the tackle box at the snap (OL and Backs in the flexbone). Rule changes about where cut-blocking by these players could take place changed and likely affected the offense some. From a safety standpoint, I fail to see how cut blocking downfield was more dangerous than tackling below the waist by a cornerback. Cut blocking within the tackle box is still legal, even in the NFL, and a common way running backs block in passing plays and OL block in rushing plays.​

Fwiw, I am really enjoying the Collins Culture. I love the tweets with strength and conditioning clips. I love Waffle House Wednesday. I love the branding and the excitement on the recruiting trail. While I am not as optimistic as some, I am hopeful.

So, I'm not somebody who is jumping into every pro-Collins thread trying to throw cold water on the optimism. I've really enjoyed this forum, but I recognize that my time as a very active contributor is over. I was one of the first persons to join and stayed active even when one of the moderators was trying to push me away. Still, for those who complain about people who you perceive as trying to throw cold-water on Collins-optimism, I ask that you model that desire when it comes to threads about CPJ, especially when you don't know what you're talking about.
Great post.
Coach is an offensive genius who sees everything that is happening.

In 14 after only sqeaking by vt and g southern and then getting beat by Duke, Coach changed the line up of the offensive line. In came erin joe and shamire and for the only time we had a massive offensive line . We went from scoring 26 points against 3 ok ACC teams to scoring over 40 against really good power five and factory teams.

As cheese said after that we just didnt have the horses and all positions.

14 made it appear we had solved the riddle, but sadly the defenses adjusted their techniques- by staying back from shamire/erin and then just running by them.
16 was our best ol after 14 and we hzd a good season. My favorite linemen besides shaq.

The good news is he was a genius and we won some amazing games. The bad news is because he was a genius we underfunded his staff.

No wonder NFL guys want to talk w him.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Bud Carson had a similar crowd pulling against him from day one. It magnified every loss times 10. He went on to establish the Steel Curtain at Pittsburgh and was recognized as a defensive guru but was remembered by his Tech detractors as "not being Dodd."

A guy named Chuck Noll had a whole lot more to do with the “Steel Curtain” than Budroe did.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Cut blocks are not (at least within the tackle box), and have never been illegal. Chop blocks are illegal and have been for some time. They are quite different animals, though the chop block does sometimes contain a cut block. I agree with many that we appeared to cut, sometimes unsuccessfully (and ended up diving) more than one would like (at least more than I would like). But every offense uses it, granted some much more than others

SMH that any Tech fans still have to get educated on the difference between cut and chop blocks. It’s amazing that folks fell for the propaganda so easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.