Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think he’s a great coach either, but you have clearly never been to Lubbock. It’s not a push.

Tech has some major advantages in recruiting to go with the academic disadvantage. Our insecure fan base likes to cling to the negative as a defense mechanism.
Most of the advantages are overstated by the “demand” bunch. If you realistically think about what truly matters to the typical 4 star recruit, most of what we like to think we have to offer falls on deaf ears.

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Most of the advantages are overstated by the “demand” bunch. If you realistically think about what truly matters to the typical 4 star recruit, most of what we like to think we have to offer falls on deaf ears.
Also, there’s a very good reason why all the major pro sports leagues have salary caps and drafts. It’s to level the talent and attempt to prevent huge talent disparities like the one that exists in college football between the top 3% and the rest.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
If Coach Nate Woody follows Scott Satterfield to North Carolina (it's rumored that UNC will hire Scott Satterfield) who would y'all want for the next GT defensive coordinator? In that situation i would like Paul to talk to UCF defensive coordinator Randy Shannon,Bob Shoop of Mississippi State or Todd Grantham of Florida.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think he’s a great coach either, but you have clearly never been to Lubbock. It’s not a push.

Tech has some major advantages in recruiting to go with the academic disadvantage. Our insecure fan base likes to cling to the negative as a defense mechanism.
Mississippi State is a very hard place to recruit at and so is Kentucky.

Lubbock was a dry town less than 10 years ago. It really is in the middle of nowhere.
That said put his offense with a solid defensive coordinator and you could have some grease cooking.

Who is the 4th winningest active coach, has 2 national championships, turned the Navy program around and went to 7 bowl games and beat ND. Taken Tech to 3 ACCCG, 2 Orange Bowls and 2 11 win seasons,......yea what does he know.

Well, he doesn't know how to beat Duke anymore lol.

And winning some nattys in basically high-school ball 30-something years ago has zero relevance to college football in the year 2018.

Sparkybob

Georgia Tech Fan
If Coach Nate Woody follows Scott Satterfield to North Carolina (it's rumored that UNC will hire Scott Satterfield) who would y'all want for the next GT defensive coordinator? In that situation i would like Paul to talk to UCF defensive coordinator Randy Shannon,Bob Shoop of Mississippi State or Todd Grantham of Florida.

If UNC can poach our DC then there is no way Tech can go to another P5 school to take a good DC.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Folks ... Georgia Tech is one of the Top 50 STEM universities in the world and still able to field a D1 football program. Caltech can’t. MIT can’t. Carnegie Mellon can’t.

A winning percentage of 0.600 places GT in a Top 25 program. That’s 7-8 wins per year and doable. A breakout year every 4 years ... and you win 10.

Look at Tennessee. Top 5 facilities. Top 5 fan base. And they won fewer games than GT.

We should be proud of where we are at. Its pointless to compare ourselves to Alabama or Clemson ... those are $150 million programs. With athletes that can’t spell C-A-T.

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
If UNC can poach our DC then there is no way Tech can go to another P5 school to take a good DC.
Not to mention we can’t pay anywhere near what MSU or Florida pays.
I’d take Shannon, but I don’t know if he would want to come here. He would recruit metro Atlanta well, and isn’t a bad dc at all.

Sparkybob

Georgia Tech Fan
Lubbock was a dry town less than 10 years ago. It really is in the middle of nowhere.
That said put his offense with a solid defensive coordinator and you could have some grease cooking.

It is but the coach before him Tuberville still had better success going 8, 5, 7 wins before he ditched town so it's not like Kliff took over a dumpster fire.

Kliff has had a lot of time to find a solid defensive coordinator and he could not do it (sounds familiar.....). I don't see why the donors with Kliff will decide to pony up to get a star guy when they choose not to do it for CPJ.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Are you saying we couldn’t get Heuple? That goes against what someone who’s son was asked to coach for Heuple says. I don’t think he’s a big name yet, and could use GT as. Stepping stone potentially.
Why would you think he would come to Georgia Tech? That "stepping stone"can be slick. Hasn't this job killed more than one college coaching career? He did get fired at Oklahoma, you know, and Clemson wore him out -- but more to the point, if everything else negative about Johnson is true, and he gets the better of that argument, then he has messed up an already messed up situation. But why would a) a really promising coach or b) an established coach with lingering hopes of playing for a title, come to Georgia Tech? I've been a Tech football fan for a lot of years and will hang in there regardless of the coach or offensive/defensive systems. Fandom cannot be explained. There is a difference in ego and pride, and what I see on the board now is a lot of ego that threatens objective reason. It's not exactly Harvard during the week and Notre on Saturday analogy, but close enough. We'll get 7-8 wins a year, sometimes nine and, cue the music, a glorious double win season. But Tech will not be the birthplace of the next Lombardi. Quick: two jobs are open. One is Tech. The other is UNC-Chapel Hill. So ....

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
I don’t have a strong inclination for who our next head coach should be. I don’t think I care if CPJ has influence over that hire or not. What I do want is a calculated decision to hire a head coach as one major piece in a larger plan to upgrade our entire program. I think our program benefits over the long haul if we keep CPJ as HC and gracefully transition him out over the next few seasons. College football has changed since CPJ was hired, and two of our most bitter rivals are now members of a brand new class of football team that has not yet existed in the sport. Not only that, but we got left behind as a program by schools that should be peers or lesser opponents.

We need a program level overhaul. Stansbury seems to be leading us in that direction, but that type of change takes longer than a knee jerk reaction to fire a head coach. That’s the easy, visible way to show you are changing things and make fans happy at a press conference. CPJ is a good coach. I would call him great given the $h1t hand he’s been dealt. Keeping him until we find THE GUY to replace him and until we’ve positioned our program to take a step forward is the better path to take.

Programs loaded with talent and money are better equipped to weather instability, but even then, there are massive casualties (Florida. FSU.) Whatever we do with the head coach position in the future, we have to be smarter than our opponents. We preach to our student athletes and recruits to think about the big picture. We as a program need to do the same.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I would be surprised, not upset, if CPJ was not our coach next year.

He has had some fantastic flashes of brilliance to go with a mediocre record in a so so conference. Losing 4 of last 5 to duke, 3 of last 5 to unc, being 3 & 8 vs um is totally unacceptable.

I think he in no way should help influence who replaces him. That would prove we have a castrated AD.

I admire how he has reserved mentioning shortcomings in our $ raised, facilities, etc. Very classy on his part.

Assume our academics remain a hindrance (could some coach turn them into a positive? Tough, I know), I have to believe that a different system / coach would still help our recruiting. We are not going to get better players, imo, on O OR D while this system is here. It narrows our pool of recruits even more than it already is. It hurts ticket sales as well. People are not going to, I am afraid, spend money watching a team throw one pass. Winning teams have to run the ball to win, but there has to be a balance of some sort.

We have a new Lt. Gov that is a former GT athlete. We have a U.S. Senator that is a GT grad. Can we get them to help us with issues involving the BoR, either real or perceived?

Can any of us imagine if our only issues were the PA system, promotions or which bowl we go to?

We that care have to give more $. Any amount will help. But we need to stop selling ourselves so short.

Just some random thoughts.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I believe the problem is CPJs *COACHING*, backed up by his stubbornness. How many times have you heard him insist the plays were there, but so-and-so didn't run the play right (and you can see that on the video that he's right). But here's the thing - after 10 years through players of all kinds of ratings, intelligence, talent, and tenure, if he can't coach his players to run the system, then that's on him. I don't care what the system is, but you have to be able to coach it. We've had very senior offensive lines at times (for example), like 2015 and strangely we couldn't figure out what to do half the time. Or this years OL things did not get worked out until after the Duke Game...(at Guard..W. Bryan, Brad Morgan, to Conner Hansen....WTF???)

Status
Not open for further replies.