Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Milwaukee

Banned
The shift in support for coach Johnson on this thread after a few wins over bad football teams is so disappointing... We did all just watch VT lose to an awful Old Dominion team. But the overwhelming support for CPJ and the Triple is the issue. The fan base is willing to accept mediocrity. When that is the case, why would the athletic dept improve?

Last night didn't change a thing imo, but if you're unwilling to at least enjoy a win then you have issues.

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
The shift in support for coach Johnson on this thread after a few wins over bad football teams is so disappointing... We did all just watch VT lose to an awful Old Dominion team. But the overwhelming support for CPJ and the Triple is the issue. The fan base is willing to accept mediocrity. When that is the case, why would the athletic dept improve?
Exactly. VT is AWFUL. Its still time for a change

TheTimes

Jolly Good Fellow
Last night didn't change a thing imo, but if you're unwilling to at least enjoy a win then you have issues.
The discussion on this thread a month ago was all about possible replacements for coach Johnson. Now the discussion has shifted towards what the team will look like going into next season with coach Johnson. The fan base shifted. Perhaps you haven’t but it feels like many people are back on the Triple Option bandwagon. And no, I’m not satisfied with one win. The Triple option era at GT will end eventually, and will be followed with some struggling seasons while we implement a scheme that belongs in this century. I want to get that process started ASAP.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Is the coach or the system? They didn’t run much TO. If CPJ put in a pro style offense, would you still want to get rid of him?

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
The fan base is willing to accept mediocrity.

The absolute very worst thing about Al Gore inventing the internet is that it allows people to use the inane phrase "accept mediocrity". I have been blessed to have been on this earth a long time. This is a phrase I honestly have never heard another human being use in an actual real live conversation. But sadly. I have read it numerous times...on the internet. It needs to go away. Rant over.

TheTimes

Jolly Good Fellow
Is the coach or the system? They didn’t run much TO. If CPJ put in a pro style offense, would you still want to get rid of him?
I would be inclined to wait it out if he was fully committed to running a more modern offense. He would have to bring in a new offensive staff imo. Coach Johnson was a great coach when we were winning regularly. I don’t believe he got dumber and worst at coaching the game. But momentum matters and there is too much negative momentum in the program for me to believe that he will get us back to consistently winning 8+ games a year considering that he is a coach that’s simply not big on recruiting.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
I would be inclined to wait it out if he was fully committed to running a more modern offense. He would have to bring in a new offensive staff imo. Coach Johnson was a great coach when we were winning regularly. I don’t believe he got dumber and worst at coaching the game. But momentum matters and there is too much negative momentum in the program for me to believe that he will get us back to consistently winning 8+ games a year considering that he is a coach that’s simply not big on recruiting.

When was that again? I'm willing to wait this season out before deciding what I would like to see.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer

Fair. But he’s 61. It’s not as if we talking another decade. I think he’s back for next year. Retire after.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
When was that again? I'm willing to wait this season out before deciding what I would like to see.
Me too. If he makes it to a bowl, then CPJ will be back no matter what (unless he retires). If we don't make a bowl, then I believe that we'll see a coaching change. Now, regardless of who the coach is next year, I'm excited for the future because we have 3 talented QBs (with Yates and Knight coming in also) and we will return a lot of our OL. The defense will be a lot better and more experienced next year. I'm still looking forward to the end of this year because we could win 8 games if we can replicate last night.

inGTwetrust

Ramblin' Wreck
So you're of the belief the option needs to go even in the face of success that may build momentum. Understood.

I'm not jumping to conclusions until this season is completed.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Coach Johnson was a great coach when we were winning regularly.

When was that? He hasn't had back to back winning seasons vs FBS opponents since 2008-2009, his first 2 years, when he had Gailey's recruits and opponents hadn't seen his offense.

Maybe you say "we" because you are a Ga Southern fan. He won regularly at the 1-AA level. He's 13-0 at Tech against that level of football. If we want to drop down to FCS we have the coach for it, and the size of our fan base is getting there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.