Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Exactly. People have short memories. To throw the ball all over the place, you have to have a QB to do it.
I think that is what is going to happen. If you look at our QB recruits for the last three years, two things stand out. First, they are all bigger then usual. Graham is the shortest at 6'1". The rest are all 6'2" or better. Second, they are all players who can both run and throw, but their passing stats are on the better side. In their senior years:

Graham: rush = 956, pass = 1725
Johnson: rush = 1166, pass = 2571 (!)
Oliver: rush = 1460, pass = 1604.

I don't think this is a coincidence nor is the recruitment of Yates this year. What Yates said about Tech when is committed ("They are going to throw 15 - 20 times a game.") is probably what they told him was being planned. Yates will be the short guy at 6', but he's already shown that he has what it takes.

Next year, I wouldn't be surprised to see us try for a 3oo rush, 150 pass balance. We'll have the troops.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
I think that is what is going to happen. If you look at our QB recruits for the last three years, two things stand out. First, they are all bigger then usual. Graham is the shortest at 6'1". The rest are all 6'2" or better. Second, they are all players who can both run and throw, but their passing stats are on the better side. In their senior years:

I don't think this is a coincidence nor is the recruitment of Yates this year. What Yates said about Tech when is committed ("They are going to throw 15 - 20 times a game.") is probably what they told him was being planned. Yates will be the short guy at 6', but he's already shown that he has what it takes.

Next year, I wouldn't be surprised to see us try for a 3oo rush, 150 pass balance. We'll have the troops.
This is what makes me so excited about seeing us stay the course. We are getting some consistent chaos from the D and they are getting better. Add in the healthy return of KB and the OL; we are going to be nasty next year.

Deleted member 2897

Yup, don't forget James Graham is one of the highest rated recruits on our roster, and may be THE single highest at 4-stars/5.8 on Rivals. #19 rated athlete in the country.

Had offers from Auburn, Georgia, Michigan, Arkansas, Miami, Ole Miss, NC State, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, etc

Last edited by a moderator:

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
I've said before but my concerns with CPJ were if he could fix the issues and turn things around . Last night we played great, VTs D wasn't stellar but what I saw last night was a thing of beauty. I know many on here including me have said that we need to ditch the TO and or CPJ , but watching last night reminded me of why I love the TO so much. IF CPJ can ultimately get the offense to click like last night the the rest of the seasonn , get throwing dialed in and make sure our D shows up at the beginning of games we will be fine.
We have such a unique offense that when dialed in, is fun to watch and pretty lethal .

I know there are many that are over CPJ and this offense , but really why should we switch to a scheme that just about every other team runs.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Because the other scheme usually wins, attracts better recruits?

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
So, when we can run the ball we win big, but when we can't we lose?
In the games we lost, we did need to pass, and really couldn't.

I think that is true this year and last. When we have needed to pass, we have been unable to do so efficiently. And, Oliver aside, we have not been consistently running well due largely to all of the fumbles, penalties, and negative plays. Thus, when we have poor running games this year and last, we have lost.

My point is that, with our best teams, we should be able to run well and therefore do not need to pass a lot. We can and have won most of our big games by mostly running straight at teams and then hitting them with the play action pass. That is how we have taken down numerous top 15 teams under CPJ. Thus, I 100% agree we need a QB/WR combo that can pass efficiently when needed (which we don't currently have), but I totally disagree that we need to pass more to win more.

Our goal should first and foremost be to run effectively, not revamp our offense to pass more.

slugboy

Staff member
I think that is true this year and last. When we have needed to pass, we have been unable to do so efficiently. And, Oliver aside, we have not been consistently running well due largely to all of the fumbles, penalties, and negative plays. Thus, when we have poor running games this year and last, we have lost.

My point is that, with our best teams, we should be able to run well and therefore do not need to pass a lot. We can and have won most of our big games by mostly running straight at teams and then hitting them with the play action pass. That is how we have taken down numerous top 15 teams under CPJ. Thus, I 100% agree we need a QB/WR combo that can pass efficiently when needed (which we don't currently have), but I totally disagree that we need to pass more to win more.

Our goal should first and foremost be to run effectively, not revamp our offense to pass more.

I think it should be to take what the defense gives you, or what's easiest. If you're up against 320 lb defensive linemen and 265 lb linebackers, quick receivers can zip past them. I don't think we need to go crazy, but passing 20-25 times a game will open up a lot for us against most good defenses.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
I was just thinking today, we are probably going to finish at the exact worse case scenario for those that hate CPJ and his system - winning just enough games for him to stick around another year. :D

LOL! Why does that make you smile?

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Show me proof that you will get better recruits today not 10 years ago. And that they would be willing to come to Tech and do the class work that they would need to do. It' only a guess no way to prove it.

Show me proof you won't.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
It's not a matter of CPJ or another coach. We get a new coach he is still going to be handicapped by GTAA and GT plain and simple.

Just saying , look at the rest of the acc right now , other than Clemson every other team that's running a pro style offense is still having issues .
Show me proof you won't.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
That was my point no one can prove it.

So your solution is to just assume we can't and be content not to go to bowl games 2 of 3 seasons and potentially 3 of 4? I'm not trying to be a smart A** but I sincerely don't understand the acceptance of this sub par play compared to our programs historical standards. It just seems to me some are throwing in the towel ENTIRELY too quickly on the idea of fielding a competitive football team.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
It's not a matter of CPJ or another coach. We get a new coach he is still going to be handicapped by GTAA and GT plain and simple.

Just saying , look at the rest of the acc right now , other than Clemson every other team that's running a pro style offense is still having issues .

And over the past 4 seasons they are beating us more than we are beating them.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I think it should be to take what the defense gives you, or what's easiest. If you're up against 320 lb defensive linemen and 265 lb linebackers, quick receivers can zip past them. I don't think we need to go crazy, but passing 20-25 times a game will open up a lot for us against most good defenses.

In a perfect world, we would have six different offensive schemes we could run perfectly and be able to adapt to different teams each week and within games. In practice though, the way to become a good team is to establish an identity and take the time needed to become great at that. It is better to be great at one thing than average at a lot.

If you become great at that, start layering on more. That is why teams like 2014, with a competent senior QB and NFL wide receivers threw more than our general average under CPJ, but our teams with Nesbitt and TM with less proficient passing QBs did not. Under CPJ, we have shown that we can absolutely win big by becoming great at running and competent at passing.

As CJP says, we should strive to get more talent and "get old and stay old." And, when we have that combination, we should stretch our passing playbook and play calling. But until any individual team reaches that base level of greatness at running, I don't see a need to incorporate more passing. I just don't think any of the data shows it has led us to more wins when we have tried.

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
None of us are happy with that . But also again gotta look big picture it's not just a coach issue.
If we win out this season , something good has changed.
If we lose out then yes changes should be made.

But those are ifs for the end of the season, let's just enjoy the fact that we looked damn good last night .
So your solution is to just assume we can't and be content not to go to bowl games 2 of 3 seasons and potentially 3 of 4? I'm not trying to be a smart A** but I sincerely don't understand the acceptance of this sub par play compared to our programs historical standards. It just seems to me some are throwing in the towel ENTIRELY too quickly on the idea of fielding a competitive football team.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Why are you reading things I didn't say? Did I say I would accept sub par play ? Yes I like CPJ but I still think it's time to look maybe after this year maybe after next year> But I see no way the anyone can tell me for a fact that our recruiting would be better no one knows till the time comes.

TheTimes

Jolly Good Fellow
The shift in support for coach Johnson on this thread after a few wins over bad football teams is so disappointing... We did all just watch VT lose to an awful Old Dominion team. But the overwhelming support for CPJ and the Triple is the issue. The fan base is willing to accept mediocrity. When that is the case, why would the athletic dept improve?

Status
Not open for further replies.