Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Just want to put this out there for thought. IF PJ leaves at the end of the year I see a number of folks who want this coach or that coach yet I wonder if they completely understand what a hotshot FCS coach or even a top flight assistant FBS coach faces coming into Tech. NOTHING in FCS is going to prepare a coach for the job at hand coming into Tech. Most assistants who are ready for their own program are coming from programs where the academic side is given lip service at best. If y'all will remember after CCG was let go one of the things that was voiced as a criteria for the new coach was someone who understood the combination athletic and academics at Tech. Most if not all applauded the choice of PJ for that very reason. So when a new coach search is done it will be more difficult than most of you can imagine to hopefully get the correct hire.
And if it happens won't be anyone on here that was named

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
A young, energetic coach would absolutely improve recruiting. CPJ has never put a big emphasis on it, and has mentioned many times how he thinks the rankings are not worth crap. He just doesn't have the personality of a recruiter, or someone who tries to sell the program or hype it up at all.

I understand what you're saying but that is NO guarantee. Look I'm not defending PJ he's a big boy and can handle himself. All I'm saying it isn't going to be as EASY as a lot of you seem to think.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
When I was at Tech there was no Ivan Allen Liberal Arts college. Now, Tech has 10 liberal arts majors. The only math class that has calculus in the title for these majors is a one semester course called Survey of Calculus. These majors are no harder than you would find at UVA, Duke, or even UNC--all of which are in our conference and rated academically higher than us. And we lost to 2 out of 3 of those schools last year.

The majors may not be harder, but convincing a kid that he can pass calculus when he comes from a **** high school education is a lot harder than someone telling him he doesn't have to take it.

And we all know what UNC was doing for athletes.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
I understand what you're saying but that is NO guarantee. Look I'm not defending PJ he's a big boy and can handle himself. All I'm saying it isn't going to be as EASY as a lot of you seem to think.

It's not a guarantee but it would be much better then whatever is going on with the program now, it certainly wouldn't be worse. Right now we're getting shut down by Duke and Pittsburgh, if this is acceptable then why even try anymore?

The top kids these days don't even give us a chance because of the perception of our offense not being able to put guys in the NFL. I'm not saying we'll take a huge recruiting jump, but if we can just get 1 or 2 extra playmakers per year that would make a HUGE difference.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

Things are bad now but things could get worse. I really do appreciate CPJ and everything he has done but I am moving more toward the idea of making a change. Why? I keep thinking about 2015. Things were bad then but I was more optimistic about the future of the program than I am now.

CPJ will not be easy to replace. I’m wondering if coach writes a “tell all” book after he leaves describing how impossible coaching at Tech is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
It's not a guarantee but it would be much better then whatever is going on with the program now, it certainly wouldn't be worse. Right now we're getting shut down by Duke and Pittsburgh, if this is acceptable then why even try anymore?

The top kids these days don't even give us a chance because of the perception of our offense not being able to put guys in the NFL. I'm not saying we'll take a huge recruiting jump, but if we can just get 1 or 2 extra playmakers per year that would make a HUGE difference.

When Tech matches or exceed the financial commitment to the program those two school have made then talk to me. That has zero to do with who the coach is it has to do with finding them and getting them to the program. Do you not grasp just how far behind Tech is?

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
When Tech matches or exceed the financial commitment to the program those two school have made then talk to me. That has zero to do with who the coach is it has to do with finding them and getting them to the program. Do you not grasp just how far behind Tech is?

Yeah if only we had the same funding as those schools we wouldn't fumble the ball 6 times. With more funding do you think that would allow CPJ to let us run a two minute offense when down 3 TDs?

We have more funding than USF, I guess that's the school you left out. Why did we lose to them?

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Yeah if only we had the same funding as those schools we wouldn't fumble the ball 6 times. With more funding do you think that would allow CPJ to let us run a two minute offense when down 3 TDs?

We have more funding than USF, I guess that's the school you left out. Why did we lose to them?

How many strawman arguments do you want to throw out there? Never mind you aren't interested in an honest discussion, you're another that is pi**ed off and it all PJ's fault. Go ahead and fire him, he'll enjoy it all the way to the bank and leave Tech with far from enough money to hire a Go Getter Hotshot Recruiter and staff, got it

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
9d5abeab991c72eb63801c0c610a3688.png

Here’s what the mutts think...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hope against hope that those damn Dwags are wrong about GT hiring Ken Niumatolo. I don't want another option offense head coach at GT! I wouldn't mind GT hiring Colorado head coach Mike MacIntyre.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
How many strawman arguments do you want to throw out there? Never mind you aren't interested in an honest discussion, you're another that is pi**ed off and it all PJ's fault. Go ahead and fire him, he'll enjoy it all the way to the bank and leave Tech with far from enough money to hire a Go Getter Hotshot Recruiter and staff, got it

I've been a CPJ supporter all 11 years he's been here. There are no strawman arguments, I only am making one argument. Funding has nothing to do with the way we've lost some of these games, and is only being thrown out there recently as an excuse to defend the coaching because that is all that is left.

ETA: I was only responding to your question asking if it was possible to have better recruiting then there is now and then you got defensive. I'm not calling for anyone's job, just giving my opinion, sorry if that hurt your feelings.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I've been a CPJ supporter all 11 years he's been here. There are no strawman arguments, I only am making one argument. Funding has nothing to do with the way we've lost some of these games, and is only being thrown out there recently as an excuse to defend the coaching because that is all that is left.

You think he's forgotten how to coach? Like I said I'm not here to defend PJ. I'll go back to what I said, it ain't going to be as easy as a lot of folks think to bring in the right hire. Do you find fault with that comment?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

USF has a 6 million dollar coach that they are getting on the cheap because texas is still paying him.

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
You think he's forgotten how to coach? Like I said I'm not here to defend PJ. I'll go back to what I said, it ain't going to be as easy as a lot of folks think to bring in the right hire. Do you find fault with that comment?

No way has he forgotten how to coach, but recruiting is part of the job and we just aren't getting the same caliber of player that we were a decade ago. The NFL draft is proof of that.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
No way has he forgotten how to coach, but recruiting is part of the job and we just aren't getting the same caliber of player that we were a decade ago. The NFL draft is proof of that.

You do understand that the assistant coaches do the VAST majority of recruiting don't you? The head coach is limited to ONE in home visit with a recruit. Why do you think PJ is not a good recruiter?

Status
Not open for further replies.