Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I love Tech but if UNC and GT offered me a job I would take UNC. And I think he would also. But that is just a guess on my part. Maybe he would like a job that you beat your head against the wall.

I don't think any coach with a big time resume would come to Tech. The recruiting restrictions are very real and the lack of support from the administration is painfully obvious. It will be a long, slow, recovery once the triple option experiment is over.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I think it will be like 1979-1983

Respectfully, I disagree. The circumstances then were worse, much worse, than now. The athletic facilities were arguably the worst in the country back then and metro Atlanta was not producing anywhere near the talent that it does today. A good recruiter with some judicious tinkering of the curriculum and the unqualified support of an administration willing to spare no expense in recruiting and developing football players might be able to turn the program around quicker than was accomplished at that time.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Respectfully, I disagree. The circumstances then were worse, much worse, than now. The athletic facilities were arguably the worst in the country back then and metro Atlanta was not producing anywhere near the talent that it does today. A good recruiter with some judicious tinkering of the curriculum and the unqualified support of an administration willing to spare no expense in recruiting and developing football players might be able to turn the program around quicker than was accomplished at that time.
(y)

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
who are some names y’all think will be considered to be our next head coach? I think Brent Key is a great option. I’ve heard several names. Just interested to see what everyone thinks
I looked back at some ucf message boards & they said Key was a terrible coach , but I would think if Saban hired you that you’re pretty good

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
I think CPJ will get one more year. This year's team looks like about 2 more wins to finish 5-7. No bowl , little , if any improvement. IMO , if we can't get MUCH better OL play and adequate depth we will not improve. Obviously Duke has upgraded. We will be overmatched against VT , too. Can we beat a mediocre UVA team at their place ? Good question. Miami ? Slim chance at best. Dwags ? No way. UNC possibly.
"TQM will be much improved", "With a years experience our OL will be nasty ", " We have good OL depth, best in years !" Remember when we were saying those things not so long ago ? So 7 games in and where are we ? TQM - love the guy, but he is playing out of position. OL depth ? Don't even start ! Nasty ? Don't make me laugh ! WE. SIMPLY. DO. NOT. HAVE. ENOUGH. GOOD. PLAYERS. And one more year of experience, weight room , practicing and coaching will not change that , IMO !!
Why would you give PJ another year?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
F3FDD466-1289-4216-B100-50BF14363AAF.jpeg

Anyone have an idea what he talking about?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
That would’ve been awesome

So he would have had no institutional help here and failed? You do realise it took cutcliffe 7 years to really start having any success at all and when i mean success i mean reach a bowl game.

Also cut had a pretty bad come to jesus moment when he realised he'd have to change his offense completely at duke. Cutcliffe has had the success he's had at duke because they gave him everything he asked for. Do you see our admin doing the same?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
View attachment 4314

Anyone have an idea what he talking about?

Johnson legit wanted to modernize the offense when he recruited vad lee. When monken left for southern and we ended up hiring cook he had a few others he wanted at the time to do just this. He was told no, so he tried to do it himself with Vad. What happened that spooked him is that we became completely mediocre at everything. We couldn't run the option, we couldn't run the routes. We couldn't do anything. Johnson fell back on what he knew. JT happened.

We'll see what happens. Who knows johnson could hire an OC after this year work with him and invent a new offense. The man hasn't forgotten how it works. He could just adopt the RPO as a package too.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Just throwing this out there, but what about Nate Woody for head coach?? Just make Shiel Wood the DC and allow Woody to hire the offensive staff that he wants. Just a thought.

Matt E

GT Athlete
I looked back at some ucf message boards & they said Key was a terrible coach , but I would think if Saban hired you that you’re pretty good

A couple thing I know to be true about Brent:

- He loves GT and hates UGA as much as anyone (obviously so does a guy like Roof, doesn’t mean he would be a good HC)
- He has a lot of energy
- He recruits his butt off
- He understands the need to be physical up front and has been tutored by one very good coach (O’Leary) and one great one (Saban)

How would he fare at GT? I have no idea, but there are some obvious reasons that if we do move on from PJ, he should at least get an interview and be considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.