Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Institutional support is everything when you have a good coach. If you don't give it you get bad results so whatever happens that has to be our mantra going forward.

This. It doesn't matter if we keep or fire CPJ. We could hire a superstar tomorrow and if we didn't get him better resources, he's struggle at GT.

Deleted member 2897

What about Willie Taggart? In his very first season, he’s taken FSU from Florida’s 7th best team to its 5th best team.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Yes - it'd be nice to compete with those teams. There's an ice cube's chance in hell of doing that now.

Do you want to keep having seasons like this one? 'Cause that's what more of CPJ or another option coach will bring us. Complete, total mediocrity and irrelevance.

Is that what you want?

Who's to say next season or the following ones will be like this one? Why could they not be like 2014? Tech is never going to be able to compete for the same athletes as the factory schools. Sorry but that is reality regardless of who the coach is or the scheme being run.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Who's to say next season or the following ones will be like this one? Why could they not be like 2014? Tech is never going to be able to compete for the same athletes as the factory schools. Sorry but that is reality regardless of who the coach is or the scheme being run.

Interesting on Alabama: "The Crimson Tide's secret? Excellent recruiting classes and elite facilities certainly help, but it's their unrivaled practice intensity that really sets them apart." Saban seeks perfection.

http://www.stack.com/a/the-secret-to-alabama-footballs-success-the-hardest-practices-in-the-nation

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Is Duke sports run by an "athletic department" or an "athletic association"? It matters because if it's a department of the school, then yes ... institutional support is needed. Tennessee for example, is a department of the school. If it's an "athletic association", then ... athletics is more or less on its own. Support is to be generated from the fanbase along with donations, etc.
I think he talking about support as a commitment to success, but I would like to know more about how gt verses other ollege sports programs in GA are organized.. Gt, ga state, uga?? Any ideas

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I think he talking about support as a commitment to success, but I would like to know more about how gt verses other ollege sports programs in GA are organized.. Gt, ga state, uga?? Any ideas

I know UGA is operated by an "Athletic Association" much like Tech. In fact, I think it's a BOR requirement. A few schools, like Tenneseee ... athletics are part of the school administration and the school calls the shots.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Well, it would sure liven up the scene around here. He did a great job at Alabama breathing life into a moribund Crimson Tide offense but man Coach Saban got to where he could not stand him. You could see that in the way Saban would look at Kiffin while they were on the sidelines. It must have been a tense working environment for sure.

Saban looked that same way at Kirby Smart, and every other coach there.

Don’t know if Saban throws players under the bus or not.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I know UGA is operated by an "Athletic Association" much like Tech. In fact, I think it's a BOR requirement. A few schools, like Tenneseee ... athletics are part of the school administration and the school calls the shots.

I thought it was as much by state law as any ruling by BoR? May be same thing.

But mainly, long ago, it was determined that state of Ga universities would not allow academic funding to be intermingled with athletic funding.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Whats the damn fear of losing Johnson, the team sucks. How many “we’ll get em next year” do you want to have? The program is a laughingstock in its own state and not a
thought nationally. Why wouldn’t you want more for your program?

The scheme DOES hurt recruiting. As a former educator and someone that continues to work with teens in youth sports it’s absolutely hurts recruiting.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
I don't think it is USG policy but is needed if funding needs exceed the allowable institutional amount. Regardless of having athletic association or not, USG and SACSCOC both specify ultimate responsibility is president.
USG Policy 4.5 - https://www.usg.edu/policymanual/section4/C331/
Also, SACSCOC in Principle 5.2.b requires institution president/CEO to be responsible for athletics - http://www.sacscoc.org/pdf/2018PrinciplesOfAcreditation.pdf

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I don't think it is USG policy but is needed if funding needs exceed the allowable institutional amount. Regardless of having athletic association or not, USG and SACSCOC both specify ultimate responsibility is president.
USG Policy 4.5 - https://www.usg.edu/policymanual/section4/C331/
Also, SACSCOC in Principle 5.2.b requires institution president/CEO to be responsible for athletics - http://www.sacscoc.org/pdf/2018PrinciplesOfAcreditation.pdf

Isn't this accomplished by having the President of the school also serve as President of the GTAA? What I see is that it is up to the GTAA to figure out how to put out a winning product. And they have been incredibly mismanaged for decades. Just my opinion.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Whats the damn fear of losing Johnson, the team sucks. How many “we’ll get em next year” do you want to have? The program is a laughingstock in its own state and not a
thought nationally. Why wouldn’t you want more for your program?

The scheme DOES hurt recruiting. As a former educator and someone that continues to work with teens in youth sports it’s absolutely hurts recruiting.

So how does Tech overcome this? Running a spread? RPO? Pro set? Where are the 4-5 stars needed to run those at the highest level going to come from?

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
So the thing with a new coach is that if Paul Johnson is fired it means a losing record for the third time in 4 years and another missed bowl game. I'm of the mind of hiring a solid hire for a reasonable 4-5 year contract and give him 3 years to get us back to 7-8 win consistency. If we hire an untested guy who is an "up and come" there is a bigger chance they flame out and we go three more years without a bowl and dig a hole too big to climb out of.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
So the thing with a new coach is that if Paul Johnson is fired it means a losing record for the third time in 4 years and another missed bowl game. I'm of the mind of hiring a solid hire for a reasonable 4-5 year contract and give him 3 years to get us back to 7-8 win consistency. If we hire an untested guy who is an "up and come" there is a bigger chance they flame out and we go three more years without a bowl and dig a hole too big to climb out of.

Totally agree with this. We need a proven P5 coach. We can see the up and comers ... give a guy 3-5 years and a percentage of the gate. Even Les Miles ...

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer
I remember when people said that about CPJs first year and we ended up doing pretty well.

But now, regardless if CPJ is fired or retired , it will be interesting. Who ever comes on will be working with kids built for the TO, I'm not sure we really have a QB for a pro style offence .

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Totally agree with this. We need a proven P5 coach. We can see the up and comers ... give a guy 3-5 years and a percentage of the gate. Even Les Miles ...

No "proven P5 coach" is coming here. Period. If you want a P5 head coach to come here to clean up after the TO, we are getting Brian Gregory.

Status
Not open for further replies.