Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Bill O'Brien if he gets canned this year, Geoff Collins, Mike Bloomgren if he turns Rice around in a few years (this one is assuming CPJ is here next year and/or the year after), Dave Clawson especially if he takes Wake to a third straight bowl game, Mike Elko. Just some other names of guys that have P5 experience and success. I'm not convinced that a guy like Charlie or Lane that build their teams on top level recruiting will be successful at Tech. I think either having been at Tech and knowing what you are in for or having coached at an "academic" school so you know how to recruit and coach with those restrictions is what we should look for.

Also no HUNH coaches. It doesn't work down here unless you have absolutely elite talent like Clemson. Even Auburn can only do it every so often.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Bill O'Brien if he gets canned this year, Geoff Collins, Mike Bloomgren if he turns Rice around in a few years (this one is assuming CPJ is here next year and/or the year after), Dave Clawson especially if he takes Wake to a third straight bowl game, Mike Elko. Just some other names of guys that have P5 experience and success. I'm not convinced that a guy like Charlie or Lane that build their teams on top level recruiting will be successful at Tech. I think either having been at Tech and knowing what you are in for or having coached at an "academic" school so you know how to recruit and coach with those restrictions is what we should look for.

Also no HUNH coaches. It doesn't work down here unless you have absolutely elite talent like Clemson. Even Auburn can only do it every so often.
HUNH?:wideyed:

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
^^^What they said. It's my biggest knock on the Troy Coach. I think his NASCAR offense would do great in the Big12. Just everyone who has done it in the South has failed except Clemson, and even their offense was not very good last year against better defenses like Auburn or Alabama. You need elite players at QB and RB or else it falls apart and that's not something we are realistically going to have.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
The subject of Key is an interesting one. Look at Scott Frost at Nebraska as a comparison. They have started 0-6 and their fans are saying this is the worst Nebraska team of all time. What if Frost wasn't a "Nebraska Man"? Would they already be trying to run him out of town? The reason I ask is many believe that when PJ leaves and we reset our roster into a new system with guys out of position, no TEs on the roster, limited WR options, etc, we will really struggle and it could get ugly before it gets any better. Would our fan base be patient? If it were a Tech Man would there be significantly more grace given?

My understanding is that there is an enormous amount of locker room problems at Nebraska, similar to what Coach Ross had to endure his first two years at Tech, when Coach Frost gets his players there will be a renaissance of sorts for the Big Red. It is particularly acute when his predecessor apparently went to some lengths to ensure that Coach Frost would have a very difficult first year. Sometimes, transitions from one coach to another go smoothly and sometimes they do not.

heyhellowhatsup

Jolly Good Fellow
Charlie Strong couldn’t retain players/keep them in school at Texas. Texas might be on a similar level to Tech for “normal” students but it’s much easier for athletes. Lookup the “Florida 5.”

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
All of those except Godsey will want too much money. Keep in mind that Norvell and Strong make $2.5 million next year. We pay CPJ $3 million, but we save a bit of money on not hiring an OC. So, we will need to hire one of those guys for about $3.5 million (the going rate for new ACC head coaches, using Fuente and Mendenhall for reference) and hire an OC. Considering how little money we spend, it's not a good situation.

It is never a good situation when an athletic director has to clean up multiple foolish mistakes of predecessors that hamstring recruiting, fundraising, and leave the athletic department paying for coaches that no longer coach.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
There’s a small town in Wyoming where all the men are strong and all the women are good looking. The high school graduates 35 5 star athletes a year, and they all go on to study engineering. If only we had a national recruiting program to reach this Utopia, we would be saved.

Look, recruiting is hard. I’m all for expanding the net. But we are irrelevant as soon as you step off the sidewalk on North Ave.

Sounds like Lake Woebegone. Let's start a NPR radio program based on a utopic Tech athletic program. At least we would not have to fund it.

Dpjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
In this age of social climate defining success you might want a Lane Kiffin for at least a temporary shot of wind. At least when you seem to be sailing against the tide. Also: toss overboard all the cannons and all the food.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Scott Satterfield is making a base salary of 425,000 a year

I am afraid that we are stuck with Coach Johnson for a while because of financial restraints. The best thing to do is to support the program, encourage the players, ask for more resources for recruiting and see what happens. Maybe he will right the ship. That is why I voted that he is here through the 2020 season. IIWII

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I am afraid that we are stuck with Coach Johnson for a while because of financial restraints. The best thing to do is to support the program, encourage the players, ask for more resources for recruiting and see what happens. Maybe he will right the ship.
Bobby Dodd Stadium will probably be close to empty if CPJ is around for 2 seasons or more. Empty Stadiums are a big way to force a coaching change,that's what got Derek Dooley fired at Tennessee in 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.