Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Don't move those goalposts, Midtown. We're not talking about perennial 10+ win teams of which There are only a few in America: Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St... that even the wannabes like UF, UT, USCe aren't keeping up with.

We're talking about DUKE. Prior to CPJ, we didn't compare ourselves to Duke. It's another reason why we were better off in 2008 than in 2018. Apparently we've now fallen behind DUKE in the ACC pecking order. Who's next? UVA? Wake?

I’m really not moving the goalposts. When we win games the board blows up with people saying the opponent must have been a cupcake with us having so much success; which is the kind of defeatist attitude you and others on this board accuse TECH fans who don’t have an issue with coach as having. It’s asinine.

You then, not even two posts later said 8 wins isn’t sniffing what you want. So what are your expectations for the team, and do you believe the program is funded and supported in a fashion that matches those expectations.

My point remains that no coach, given the limited resources we have had at our disposal historically, would deliver substantially better seasons than what I have seen under CPJ. When he got here he won multiple coach of the conference awards and was dominate. Other programs (Clemson, VaTech, Miami, Duke) started to up their spending to outclass us, which they have.

TStan seems to be trying to right that wrong our previous administration left us under. I believe coach will deliver increasingly better results as we get the $upport he needs. I don’t believe he forgot how to coach or got lazy or all the other excuses people throw around. I think programmatically we have been limited by the increase in spending around the conference and we have to catch back up.

There aren’t many coaches I’d rather have when you’re backed into a corner than our’s. He has seen it all, won at a consistent level and keeps an even keel. Time will prove one of us right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Duke did the buy in stuff cpj has been asking for they have the third largest support and recruiting staff in the acc. If anything duke is a case study along with clemson that shows the formula for taking a program near its potential.
If we had hired TStan when we hired MBob we’d be right up there with Duke with resources. One bad AD hire and we’re a step back.

I’m really not moving the goalposts. When we win games the board blows up with people saying the opponent must have been a cupcake with us having so much success; which is the kind of defeatist attitude you and others on this board accuse TECH fans who don’t have an issue with coach as having. It’s asinine.

Our 3 wins this year ARE against cup cakes: Alcorn St, BG, and Loserville. https://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-all-130-college-football-teams

Loserville is 90th and is our HIGHEST-ranked victory. BG is #126.

It's naive to celebrate these victories as being awesome, as so many of our fans are doing. We're all glad we won but some are taking it a bit far.

You then, not even two posts later said 8 wins isn’t sniffing what you want. So what are your expectations for the team, and do you believe the program is funded and supported in a fashion that matches those expectations.

My point remains that no coach, given the limited resources we have had at our disposal historically, would deliver substantially better seasons than what I have seen under CPJ. When he got here he won multiple coach of the conference awards and was dominate. Other programs (Clemson, VaTech, Miami, Duke) started to up their spending to outclass us, which they have.

TStan seems to be trying to right that wrong our previous administration left us under. I believe coach will deliver increasingly better results as we get the $upport he needs. I don’t believe he forgot how to coach or got lazy or all the other excuses people throw around. I think programmatically we have been limited by the increase in spending around the conference and we have to catch back up.

There aren’t many coaches I’d rather have when you’re backed into a corner than our’s. He has seen it all, won at a consistent level and keeps an even keel. Time will prove one of us right.

Right now, I'd settle for an 8-win season, given our dismal start. 8+ wins annually, competing for ACC Coastal and decent bowls are good expectations. Unfortunately, we're likely going to miss that for the 3rd time in 4 years.

I think there are plenty of coaches, esp. for $3 million, who could do as well as CPJ is doing right now. It's not that tough to find a coach who can get 5 wins and miss bowl games, as ours has been doing lately.

But you are correct - time will prove one of us right.

For now, we agree that we need to beat the **** out of Duke! I'm hoping for a statement W to silence all the "Duke is awesome!" naysayers here. But I'll be happy for any victory over those jerks.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Our 3 wins this year ARE against cup cakes: Alcorn St, BG, and Loserville. https://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-all-130-college-football-teams

It's naive to celebrate these victories as being awesome, as so many of our fans are doing. We're all glad we won but some are taking it a bit far.

Right now, I'd settle for an 8-win season, given our dismal start. 8+ wins annually, competing for ACC Coastal and decent bowls are good expectations. Unfortunately, we're likely going to miss that for the 3rd time in 4 years.

I think there are plenty of coaches, esp. for $3 million, who could do as well as CPJ is doing right now. It's not that tough to find a coach who can get 5 wins and miss bowl games, as ours has been doing lately.

For now, we agree that we need to beat the **** out of Duke! I'm hoping for a statement W to silence all the "Duke is awesome!" naysayers here. But I'll be happy for any victory over those jerks.
When we beat Duke are you gonna dismiss it as meaningless as well?

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Don't move those goalposts, Midtown. We're not talking about perennial 10+ win teams of which There are only a few in America: Alabama, Clemson, Ohio St... that even the wannabes like UF, UT, USCe aren't keeping up with.

We're talking about DUKE. Prior to CPJ, we didn't compare ourselves to Duke. It's another reason why we were better off in 2008 than in 2018. Apparently we've now fallen behind DUKE in the ACC pecking order. Who's next? UVA? Wake?

David Butliffe was hired for the 2008 season, so it could also be seen as prior to cutcliffe being hired. Its not like CPJ got here and we started losing to Duke. They hadn't beaten us since 2003 under Chan until 2014.
Its not like we were barely beating them year after year either based on the score lines below. They broke through finally in 2014... which was ironically our best year under CPJ. The other times they beat us were last year and 2015 which have been our worst seasons under CPJ, and one of them was because they tackled JT and twisted his damn leg to take him out of the game. So in conclusion, Duke beat us in our 2 most down years in the last 20 years plus the weird 2014 game which means even with whatever Duke does its essentially taken our worst seasons to lose to them.

I'm with you that we just come out and stomp them into the dirt because screw Duke and Cutcliffe. Duke will be less than mediocre again once he retires because no quality coach will stay there long enough to resurrect them in this day and age.

2017/11/18 Duke 43 - Georgia Tech 20 W
2016/10/29 Duke 35 - Georgia Tech 38 L
2015/09/26 Duke 34 - Georgia Tech 20 W
2014/10/11 Duke 31 - Georgia Tech 25 W
2013/09/14 Duke 14 - Georgia Tech 38 L
2012/11/17 Duke 24 - Georgia Tech 42 L
2011/11/19 Duke 31 - Georgia Tech 38 L
2010/11/20 Duke 20 - Georgia Tech 30 L
2009/11/14 Duke 10 - Georgia Tech 49 L
2008/10/04 Duke 0 - Georgia Tech 27 L

MidtownJacket

Staff member

Agreed we all wanna see our boys in Gold (or navy or white) take home a W for homecoming.

I’d also like to see a statement win because I think we are turning the corner and that would propel us back into contention for some of our team goals.

I agree with you it is silly to foam at the mouth in excitement for the three wins we have so far, but that said see the positives in our progression and development. I’ll end my post with the thing we agree on most:

Give those Durham boys Hell, Go Jackets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
...I think there are plenty of coaches, esp. for $3 million, who could do as well as CPJ is doing right now. It's not that tough to find a coach who can get 5 wins and miss bowl games, as ours has been doing lately...

I cannot believe that I feel the need to respond to yet another one of your posts with the exact same message over and over.

NOBODY on this board...LITERALLY NOBODY...thinks missing a bowl is good or that CPJ has been good enough the last three years.

Just in case you accidentally missed that:

NOBODY ON THIS BOARD...LITERALLY NOBODY...THINKS MISSING A BOWL IS GOOD OR THAT CPJ HAS BEEN GOOD ENOUGH THE LAST THREE YEARS.

Some of us just think he can still turn it around and are willing to give him some more time to do that. Call me when you find "plenty of coaches" who will take Georgia Tech to 3 ACC title games and 2 Orange Bowls in 10 years. Because that is why there are still a bunch of CPJ supporters, not because of his record the last three years.

I cannot believe that I feel the need to respond to yet another one of your posts with the exact same message over and over.

NOBODY on this board...LITERALLY NOBODY...thinks missing a bowl is good or that CPJ has been good enough the last three years.

NOBODY ON THIS BOARD...LITERALLY NOBODY...THINKS MISSING A BOWL IS GOOD OR THAT CPJ HAS BEEN GOOD ENOUGH THE LAST THREE YEARS.

NOR DID I EVER SAY THAT. I said there's an "8 is enough" crowd. You must be a dwag fan, to be so poor at math as to confuse 8 with 5.

Jmonty71

Banned
#34 nationally in rush defense
122 yards per game
3.3 yards per carry

Army had 41 rushes for 168 yards. They passed it 21 times which is unusual for Monken. They have all-conference players at linebacker and in the secondary. Maybe 2-3 guys who will play on Sundays. They got an extra week to prepare and played Army already this year. Lots of advantages for Duke.

Georgia Tech has the #1 rush offense in the nation, at 373 yards per game.

Something has to give...
Army beat themselves, in my opinion. But, Duke does have a decent defense. I see this as a low scoring game.

slugboy

Staff member
Does every thread have to turn into a coach debate???? I wish the mods would move all these off-topic posts, even mine, to the appropriate thread.
I'm in favor of a discussion titled "Coach Debate" just for that purpose. You wouldn't even have to pin it to keep it on page 1.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
NOR DID I EVER SAY THAT. I said there's an "8 is enough" crowd. You must be a dwag fan, to be so poor at math as to confuse 8 with 5.

Umm, did you read the text of yours I quoted? You said: “It's not that tough to find a coach who can get 5 wins and miss bowl games, as ours has been doing lately,” as though that is what CPJ supporters are satisfied with.

Point is, you keep setting up a straw man that anyone is happy with the last three years, finds them acceptable, or has somehow lowered our standards and expectations to be okay with the last three years. Nobody has. As to your “8 is enough,” has any poster said they think our ceiling should be 8? Pretty sure nobody has and you are just creating another straw man.

Look, it is just getting old. We get it, you hate CPJ and don’t think he can turn it around. Fine. Just stop pretending anyone is okay with the last three years. Nobody is. We all agree with you there. We all want back to competing for ACC titles and beating UGA on a reasonable basis. We just think CPJ can get us turned back around. And, if he can’t, I think most of us will agree it is time to move on. How about we just start our discussions there?

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Does every thread have to turn into a coach debate???? I wish the mods would move all these off-topic posts, even mine, to the appropriate thread.
I'm in favor of a discussion titled "Coach Debate" just for that purpose. You wouldn't even have to pin it to keep it on page 1.
Done. This is the dumping ground thread. Also reminder to use the report button so that we can more quickly respond.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck

Some of us just think he can still turn it around and are willing to give him some more time to do that. Call me when you find "plenty of coaches" who will take Georgia Tech to 3 ACC title games and 2 Orange Bowls in 10 years. Because that is why there are still a bunch of CPJ supporters, not because of his record the last three years.
GT could lose 100 games in a row & some of y’all would still support him

Status
Not open for further replies.