Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Buddy I’ve given you examples time and time again. I’ve schooled you enough on this topic and the fact you still don’t understand my perspective on recruiting speaks volumes to your intelligence.

Ugh.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
This article goes into how we pitch GT to recruits. It's quoting Jordan Woods who was a big time recruit out of Florida at the time but transferred after his Redshirt year because he was burried on the depth chart.

https://www.myajc.com/blog/georgia-...woods-his-recruitment/zr67vNmErKoCKj0slFiOwN/

Thanks for the link. i think it tells us what we already know....that a business degree from Georgia Tech University ;) is superior to a thousand other majors/degrees at Big State U. But it doesn't get into why/what GT can offer to a kid interested in business that a Texas or Michigan or UNC can't. My premise is that when we think about GT as a clear cut better choice, we are thinking from the perspective of an engineering education and thus may have biases that aren't true for athletes who are thinking of business as a major/career choice. I am curious as to how we differentiate ourselves in that sector, which is the pool where most of the fish swim.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Thanks for the link. i think it tells us what we already know....that a business degree from Georgia Tech University ;) is superior to a thousand other majors/degrees at Big State U. But it doesn't get into why/what GT can offer to a kid interested in business that a Texas or Michigan or UNC can't. My premise is that when we think about GT as a clear cut better choice, we are thinking from the perspective of an engineering education and thus may have biases that aren't true for athletes who are thinking of business as a major/career choice. I am curious as to how we differentiate ourselves in that sector, which is the pool where most of the fish swim.
at least for non athletic recruits the IAC recruits by talking about a course load that prepares you to sit at the intersection of STEM and Traditional Liberal Arts. They spend a lot of time and effort explaining how we prepare students to discuss high tech issues with the same fundamental reasoning skills developed by top tier LibArts majors.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I am curious about one thing...assume most of our FB players are not in engineering but in IM or business or whatever they call it now. How would one sell/differentiate GT as there are many schools who can offer P5 FB AND good (or even better actually)business schools. Uva, UNC, Uga, USC (E & W), Texas, Michigan, Indiana, etc.,etc. Outside of selling location (ATL), what IS an effective sales pitch for GT over the schools listed? I think the sell would be a lot easier IF the majors of interest for FB players were engineering as we are the clear leader (in most cases) in the various engineering disciplines. I am not directing this specifically at you but just curious as to what the others here have to say, esp. the business/IM majors. What did you get at Tech that you wouldn't have gotten at the schools I mentioned?

Actually, GT's business school is a nationally ranked program that has traditionally been higher ranked than uga for undergrad degrees. Our business program is no joke, but that in itself should tell you something, Our "easy athlete degree" is a nationally ranked business degree. We might lose a few athletes to the schools you mentioned because they want a better business program, but we lose far more to the ones who would rather focus on football and have an easier major to deal with. And that's not to mention the ones who simply want to follow a degree path not offered by GT at all.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
I will say that Clemson was nothing back then like they are now & we didn’t have to play VT & Miami then , but we got nfl talent !! Now we don’t ! If the school won’t allow us to we should play in the IVY league

We would dominate in the Ivy League, but there would be no TV money to divvy up...

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it goes into it in the article but our pitch includes internships at some of the biggest companies which are headquartered in Atlanta.

bikeseat

GT Athlete
FWIW GT's business school reputation does not extend much beyond the Southeast. I am in banking and there is almost 0 name recognition in the NE & Midwest.

Unfortunately the 'academic name' of Cal, Michigan, UVA, NW & Duke all are far ahead of us and the only remedy for that is time and continued excellence

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
^^^This is true for the college of science as well. I have worked all over the east coast in academic and private sectors and I can't count the number of people who haven't even heard of GT in my field. I remember someone asking me if it was a 2 year "Tech" school lol.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
^^^This is true for the college of science as well. I have worked all over the east coast in academic and private sectors and I can't count the number of people who haven't even heard of GT in my field. I remember someone asking me if it was a 2 year "Tech" school lol.

Someone told me they had visited the northern campus of Georgia Tech in Blairsville. North Georgia Tech, a 2-year technical college, has a campus in Blairsville.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
FWIW GT's business school reputation does not extend much beyond the Southeast. I am in banking and there is almost 0 name recognition in the NE & Midwest.

Unfortunately the 'academic name' of Cal, Michigan, UVA, NW & Duke all are far ahead of us and the only remedy for that is time and continued excellence

I think that this speaks to my point. We (or rather a lot of us) incorrectly assume that because GT is in the top 5 engineering schools, that we should be able to recruit athletes interested in a world class education. But the reality is that the majors where most of our FB athletes concentrate are NOT considered to be "best in class". Though certainly reputable and a good foundation for life after school, our business school has many competitors who offer what we have - a good business school AND P5 FB. But I think many of us, especially the engineering grads, tend to overestimate the selling power of our brand name because in our fields, it does carry weight, no matter where you are in the US or perhaps even overseas.

I am of course disregarding in this discussion the "student athletes" who are seeking the path of least resistance and schools with the joke majors. Selling a GT degree to those people is a fool's errand.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Sure but we recruit from Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, and the Carolinas heavily where the GT name does have some weight behind it. I think bikeseat's point was that we are gassing it up to be a lot better than it really is.

I'm not a business guy but from what I know from friends is that there are a few schools (like Wharton) that can get a job ecause of the name alone. But 95% of B schools are about internships which Atlanta/Georgia Tech can get you at some major companies.

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
I told my Illinois high school guidance counselor I wanted to apply to Georgia Institute of Technology and they told me I could do better than a regional tech school. As others have said, name recognition is weak outside of the SE. Michigan is better in almost every way and is a more regional name there, and Purdue, Northweatern, and Illinois compete with us academically

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I told my Illinois high school guidance counselor I wanted to apply to Georgia Institute of Technology and they told me I could do better than a regional tech school. As others have said, name recognition is weak outside of the SE. Michigan is better in almost every way and is a more regional name there, and Purdue, Northweatern, and Illinois compete with us academically

Yankee ignorance doesn't mean much. Georgia Tech is internationally known.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Actually, GT's business school is a nationally ranked program that has traditionally been higher ranked than uga for undergrad degrees. Our business program is no joke, but that in itself should tell you something, Our "easy athlete degree" is a nationally ranked business degree. We might lose a few athletes to the schools you mentioned because they want a better business program, but we lose far more to the ones who would rather focus on football and have an easier major to deal with. And that's not to mention the ones who simply want to follow a degree path not offered by GT at all.

This ^^^^

I tell folks that our "easiest" degree at GT is more often then not, the hardest degree offered at "Football U".

smathis30

Ramblin' Wreck
Yankee ignorance doesn't mean much. Georgia Tech is internationally known.

not denying that its internationally known, but you're naive if you think its brand presense is weak anywhere outside of the south. Kim Kardashian is known internationally, doesn't mean people like her.

Status
Not open for further replies.