Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Institute was literally added as a way to rebrand the school after reconstruction. Georgia School of Technology didn't have the same ring to it. No ifs and or buts GT is a university which pushed the tech side for branding purposes. No attachments otherwise

Sorry. I don't even know where to start. Tech was founded as the Georgia School of Technology AFTER Reconstruction, so your point about adding it to rebrand is just not accurate ... Institute wasn't added to the name until 1948. And no, Tech is not a university as it does not have a majority liberal arts program. It is technology focused as 60% of its 24,000 students are engineers. This is and remains a conscious decision by the University System.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
That's literally what I said. GT branded itself to be an institute. It could be a university of we wanted to but we changed names after reconstruction to try to be the beacon of progress in the south. It's not a restriction, just a name that reflects what people believe to be restrictions.

It has nothing to do with "brand". By definition, an "institute" is a specialized school. Tech can clearly choose to be a university (if the BOR would authorize it), but to do so, it would have to add several colleges to do so. But why would it? Georgia State University is down the street ... there is no need to add another metro university.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Sorry. I don't even know where to start. Tech was founded as the Georgia School of Technology AFTER Reconstruction, so your point about adding it to rebrand is just not accurate ... Institute wasn't added to the name until 1948. And no, Tech is not a university as it does not have a majority liberal arts program. It is technology focused as 60% of its 24,000 students are engineers. This is and remains a conscious decision by the University System.
Sorry dude, but you're wrong on this one. Regardless of whether our name includes the word "University," Tech is still by definition a university. A university is basically a collection of colleges that offer degrees. We have multiple colleges that offer undergraduate and graduate degrees...making us a university. We are also a part of the University System of Georgia.

Honestly I wish people wouldn't get their panties in a wad over this one. Now if you call us "Georgia Tech University" then you deserve to be ridiculed...but while I prefer using the term institute, referring to the school in general as "a university" is not necessarily incorrect.

upload_2018-9-20_9-27-47.png

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
You are still missing the point. In the academic world, a university is commonly assumed to have a predominantly liberal arts program. Ones that are highly focused on a particular subject matter are institutes. The University System of Georgia recognizes GT as an institute ... which is why they do not support a broader academic catalog.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
As has been previously said in many threads. We need improvements in both special teams and the defense, but Offense is far from being a problem for us. We rank 21st in total offense across NCAA, averaging over 7 yard per play and over 500 yards per game. Where we need help is:

> Red zone offense
> 1st half defense
> Special teams

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not about improving the offense. It's about getting rid of the recruiting stigma associated with it. I agree 100% that generally the offense is not the problem on gameday. It absolutely contributes negativily to getting playmakers on both sides of the ball.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Guys, Georgia Tech is a university. So is M.I.T. This is not up for debate. .

I'm just curious, whose definition of "university" are you using? The one in the dictionary? The one that is used in academia? Or the one from the University System of Georgia? I'm not debating it, since it is not up for debate, but curious.

RiseUpATL

Banned
It's not about improving the offense. It's about getting rid of the recruiting stigma associated with it. I agree 100% that generally the offense is not the problem on gameday. It absolutely contributes negativily to getting playmakers on both sides of the ball.

Correct. The offense puts up a lot of yards but at the expense of our defense and special teams. We can’t be really good at one unit if means being deficient in the other 2 units and expect to have any sort of consistency. It’s been 10 years and 4 DC’s. You cannot say the offense does not impact the defense. The data simply does not support that claim.

Tech is very much so a university branded as an institute. Hell in the 40s we were the Georgia school of technology. There is no legal difference between an institute and university. Just branding FYI
Tech is NOT a university. Universities offer BA degrees in good things like journalism (well, sometimes it's good), theater, music, education (used to be good), literature, etc, etc. Tech is exclusively a STEM school and as such, does not offer BA degrees. So, you think because Tech was once named "school" of Technology matters? Was the cesspool ever referred to as the "school" of Georgia? NO. It has always been the UNIVERSITY of Georgia.

Tech is NOT a university. Universities offer BA degrees in good things like journalism (well, sometimes it's good), theater, music, education (used to be good), literature, etc, etc. Tech is exclusively a STEM school and as such, does not offer BA degrees. So, you think because Tech was once named "school" of Technology matters? Was the cesspool ever referred to as the "school" of Georgia? NO. It has always been the UNIVERSITY of Georgia.

Georgia Tech IS a university. The University System of Georgia refers to them as a Research University. If you have an issue with that, take it up with them.

Sorry dude, but you're wrong on this one. Regardless of whether our name includes the word "University," Tech is still by definition a university. A university is basically a collection of colleges that offer degrees. We have multiple colleges that offer undergraduate and graduate degrees...making us a university. We are also a part of the University System of Georgia.

Honestly I wish people wouldn't get their panties in a wad over this one. Now if you call us "Georgia Tech University" then you deserve to be ridiculed...but while I prefer using the term institute, referring to the school in general as "a university" is not necessarily incorrect.

View attachment 4169
Collectively speaking, yes, Tech is considered a university. It is also collectively speaking called a college. But the fact of the matter is that in terms of degrees offered, it is not a university. The same can be and is said of MIT and Cal Tech.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

In theory, and on paper, the system is great. It's well designed and the man calling the plays usually does a really good job of giving the team an opportunity to make a big play.

But if the system negatively impacts recruiting in such a way where we cannot get the OL and QB players into the program to take advantage of such opportunities, then what is the point. A big deal is always made about how we always having receivers running down the field uncovered, but if we cannot recruit a quarterback that can consistently hit these targets in stride, then what's the point? If good OL prospects don't want to come to Tech because of the stigma and (real or imagined) perception of the blocking schemes, then what's the point? If defensive players won't come because of the (real or imagined) stigma that they only practice against the option offense, then what's the point?

RiseUpATL

Banned
And just what did you have to say when Clemons lost to our offense once in 2008, twice in 2009, once in 2011, and once again in 2014?

Clemson is a much different program than they were 10 years ago. So I don’t know how relevant your point is. Kinda goes back to his point arguing with decade old data...just saying.

Collectively speaking, yes, Tech is considered a university. It is also collectively speaking called a college. But the fact of the matter is that in terms of degrees offered, it is not a university. The same can be and is said of MIT and Cal Tech.
You are just making stuff up at this point.

Definition of university:

an educational institution designed for instruction, examination, or both, of students in many branches of advanced learning, conferring degrees in various faculties, and often embodying colleges and similar institutions.

Clemson is a much different program than they were 10 years ago. So I don’t know how relevant your point is. Kinda goes back to his point arguing with decade old data...just saying.

right on. the fact that we have won 6 of the last 7 at home to them is completely irrelevant. the concept of "clemsoning" is irrelevant as well. Basically, any time they lose is considered clemsoning, which is totally asinine.

if it makes fans feel better to know that we won a lot against them at home over the years, then they are welcome to keep thinking that. in reality, our game this year will likely mirror the one played in Atlanta in 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.