Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LibertyTurns

Banned
We are hemorrhaging fans and constantly missing out on gaining new ones. The long term financial health of the program is in way worse shape than the short term.

Right now our financial strategy seems to be to squeeze blood out of a decreasing number of stones.

We have a way bigger issue than buyouts.
This is why guys like Stansbury get paid the big bucks to create a strategy. Firing the coach provides some short term uplift in terms of fan enthusiasm among some, fear of the unknown in others. If you’re going to support the new coach in the same fashion you supported the old coach but be saddled with $2-3M extra per year in expenses. You need to sell 7-8k more tickets each year to break even under that scenario. If you go cheap and try to hire an up & comer then misfire, well you have a real mess on your hands.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So what happens if Paul Johnson next week announces he's retiring after the Bowl Game?:cigar:

Hopefully TStan is prepared if something like that happens(y):cigar:

I think CPJ has already decided whether he is going to stay or not. I don't know and won't be surprised either way.

Looking at how pissed off he was at the false start that killed our first or second drive yesterday, I think he'll stay. He doesn't need to for money or fame; maybe for ego to do something everyone else recognizes isn't possible.

What would surprise me is that CPJ hasn't already talked to TStan about it. The grand plan is for CPJ to be able to help select/groom his replacement.

{Comment: sorry if this has been hashed through but I can't read about 50 pages of missed posts.}

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I think CPJ has already decided whether he is going to stay or not. I don't know and won't be surprised either way.

Looking at how pissed off he was at the false start that killed our first or second drive yesterday, I think he'll stay. He doesn't need to for money or fame; maybe for ego to do something everyone else recognizes isn't possible.

What would surprise me is that CPJ hasn't already talked to TStan about it. The grand plan is for CPJ to be able to help select/groom his replacement.

{Comment: sorry if this has been hashed through but I can't read about 50 pages of missed posts.}

Is that CPJ’s Grand Plan, or someone else?

If it is CPJ’s grand plan and TStan sits there and accepts that up the wazoo, then we have even bigger problems.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck

I agree that he has made up his mind about retirement and I think he is staying too. No way his ego allows him to leave after a program he beat in his first year completely embarrassed him in year 11. That said, I don't think we should fire him either. He did win 5 conference games and second in his division. However, this idea of him grooming his replacement is garbage. When its time for him to leave, good bye to him, I don't want his imprint on this program after he is gone.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Is that CPJ’s Grand Plan, or someone else?

If it is CPJ’s grand plan and TStan sits there and accepts that up the wazoo, then we have even bigger problems.

I think TStan has been quoted as saying this. And while this is contrary to conventional practice in college football, I think the idea has merit when the outgoing coach is competent and retiring, i.e. not being fired for cause.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Whether alums or fans want to admit it, GT is not a destination coaching job any more. It is an interim step whilst he goes about campaigning for a really good job somewhere. So folks with sugar plums dancing in their heads need to know the first result is: no name coach to Georgia Tech. There is no profit to it, in career or money. The second is start looking at the third year coach who whose Keokuk Finishing School won the Carousel Conference this season by slinging it on every down and is really, really, really good with the media. Or a coordinator from a good program who will be in Atlanta two years and high hurdle higher. (See Morris -- Clemson, SMU, Arkansas. Clemson because he ran the type offense Swinney demanded; SMU because he couldn't lose no matter how much he lost, and Arkansas because presumably it was a destination job. Another year like this one, though, and ...) But if one insists on dreaming, dream big. No Stoops. Get Saban.
Are you saying we couldn’t get Heuple? That goes against what someone who’s son was asked to coach for Heuple says. I don’t think he’s a big name yet, and could use GT as. Stepping stone potentially.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
I think TStan has been quoted as saying this. And while this is contrary to conventional practice in college football, I think the idea has merit when the outgoing coach is competent and retiring, i.e. not being fired for cause.

Not doubting you, but I sure would like to see that quote or any semblance thereof.

Additionally, at this point, there are great questions about competency. Example being “missed assignments” being mentioned time after time after time in pressers the last 2 years. We are not coaching them correctly, or the players can not grasp the system we are forcing them to try and operate. Anything but competency at this point.

It appears we are trying to put square pegs in round holes come hell or high water (insert your own cliches here).

There seems to be a willingness to let the program suffer as long as a certain philosophy is allowed. And beating lousy teams with losing record, as often as not, is not a sign of competency.

Last edited:

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
So would there be anything wrong with selling the idea to a new coach - “hey look, we want you here and believe you will be successful. We are putting all these millions of $ into facilities, staffing and spiffy unis of any color you want. You will, unlike other places, be given ample time. Heck we gave one guy 11 years for going 50%. And, if you win, we have a track record of getting guys the chance to land the HC job at bama, n.d., and even NFL jobs like the Chargers.”

But they got those chances because they succeeded here. Rinse and repeat.

But maybe it is more satisfying to try and make us Ga Southern instead of something better.
To be clear, I am not in the "fire Johnson" camp. I think sometimes he should get his ears boxed because of his thin skin, but he can coach. But to your proposition, nothing is wrong with it. That was my point. My question is who are you gonna get, because it will not be a name anybody recognizes, he will be here briefly, and is Tech willing to throw Clemson-sized money into recruiting, assistants' salaries and facilities? Not having done it so far I am guessing that is a quick no. (Swinney got those commitments before he took the job 10 years ago. But Swinney knew if he got them, then Clemson had everything he needed to compete for national championships and so it was not a transitional job for him.) He has as couple of assistants now ready for a head job. I would be astonished if Georgia Tech would be that job for them.

I do have to say, however, that having read this board and the attitudes and pride, some of it undeserved actually, for years, are you really gonna boast to a guy that, "If you do good you can coach at Alabama!"? Next, Georgia!

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer

Lol cute how you assume there are even 5 good posts in 50 pages of this thread.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Are you saying we couldn’t get Heuple? That goes against what someone who’s son was asked to coach for Heuple says. I don’t think he’s a big name yet, and could use GT as. Stepping stone potentially.
If Heuple is running his mouth to junior people on his staff then run away from that dude like he’s got the plague. Guys like him have already been promoted above the level they’re competent at and need a demotion not a promotion.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Some perspective on others programs facing coaching dilemmas. It’s not all a bed of roses & we had better be prepared to enter the arms race if we cut and run. It’s the equivalent of having too big a mortgage, two huge car loans plus starting down the barrel of sending a couple of kids to college but then going boat shopping. Man I hope my company performs better so I can pay off all this crap!

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/11/25/colorado-buffaloes-mike-macintyre-buyout-ncaa-insanity/
I believe but am not certain that Swinney's buyout after three straight NC playoff runs, is $35 million. That in a state whose legislature limits the amount of money its university professors can earn teaching summer courses. Think there's an anti-education bias there?

LibertyTurns

Banned
I believe but am not certain that Swinney's buyout after three straight NC playoff runs, is $35 million. That in a state whose legislature limits the amount of money its university professors can earn teaching summer courses. Think there's an anti-education bias there?
How long until the ESPN ponzi scheme of there will be more money to fund stuff like this comes crashing down hard? There’s only so much you can leverage a business. At some point the business model doesn’t make any sense to anyone. And yes, as much as I love watching GT sports at the end of the day this is a business and needs to be managed by adults making grown up decisions.

The climate right now is viewership is down, competition for entertainment dollars is up, more kids are playing video games than sports, the fan base is aging, etc. Clemp, Bammer, etc may be able to fund the mega programs but there’s going to be a crap ton of little guys going to get squashed in the process.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
I think TStan has been quoted as saying this. And while this is contrary to conventional practice in college football think the idea has merit when the outgoing coach is competent and retiring, i.e. not being fired for cause.
What competency has CPJ shown that would enable him to offer any kind of productive input on the program? His hiring practices, media relations or recruiting? He is a glorified offensive coordinator not a P5 football coach. TStan should thank him for his service and let him hit the golf course when they decide the time is right.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
How long until the ESPN ponzi scheme of there will be more money to fund stuff like this comes crashing down hard? There’s only so much you can leverage a business. At some point the business model doesn’t make any sense to anyone. And yes, as much as I love watching GT sports at the end of the day this is a business and needs to be managed by adults making grown up decisions.

The climate right now is viewership is down, competition for entertainment dollars is up, more kids are playing video games than sports, the fan base is aging, etc. Clemp, Bammer, etc may be able to fund the mega programs but there’s going to be a crap ton of little guys going to get squashed in the process.
Good questions because at least on the surface the gravy train for TV money is slowing down. I don't know the numbers but ESPN has lost a bunch of cable viewers and frankly, GT football is the only reason I get cable. Apparently I am not alone.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
What competency has CPJ shown that would enable him to offer any kind of productive input on the program? His hiring practices, media relations or recruiting? He is a glorified offensive coordinator not a P5 football coach. TStan should thank him for his service and let him hit the golf course when they decide the time is right.
One thing to be down on a guy but sledgehammers are not really productive. Nor particularly accurate.

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Not doubting you, but I sure would like to see that quote or any semblance thereof.

Additionally, at this point, there are great questions about competency. Example being “missed assignments” being mentioned time after time after time in pressers the last 2 years. We are not coaching them correctly, or the players can not grasp the system we are forcing them to try and operate. Anything but competency at this point.

It appears we are trying to put square pegs in round holes come hell or high water (insert your own cliches here).

There seems to be a willingness to let the program suffer as long as a certain philosophy is allowed. And beating lousy teams with losing record, as often as not, is not a sign of competency.

The "missed assignment" excuse is another way of saying that Tech is not big enough, strong enough, or fast enough to make up for the mistakes that happen on most every play. Kirby was ranting all game long about their mistakes yet they beat us like a drum.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Good questions because at least on the surface the gravy train for TV money is slowing down. I don't know the numbers but ESPN has lost a bunch of cable viewers and frankly, GT football is the only reason I get cable. Apparently I am not alone.
The ship may have sailed on us unfortunately in this timeframe. If we would have kept a proportional share of revenue increases during the run up of the current arms war, we might be in a better position now. Not sure what the options would have been because going to the Big 10 in my mind was not going to be a good call. In any event, we’re currently mired near the bottom in P5 budget for football & squeezing an extra $10-15M/yr out of maybe 100-150k interested fans is not going to be easy. Expanding 25-50k fans is not going to be easy either. Tough spot for Stansbury to be sure. His campaign for $125M only includes $12M for operations total not annually because Edge Center & Baseball renovations are going to sap about $85M.

Status
Not open for further replies.