Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
But but but Boaty thinks coaches will flock to Tech......and that every thing is CPJ’s fault.

Not at all. I understand the challenges and most of them structural. But just because there are structural issues doesn’t mean there aren’t coaching issues as well. Hopefully we are attempting to improve all the way around. I acknowledge that there are things the administration can do to help a coach a recruit. My point is that it doesn’t matter what changes we make to support the football program we will not recruit to our potential with this offense. T

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Fans act as if we are a top 10 program. That just changing our head coach will fix everything that is what is so irritating about this whole situation.

No, the frustrating thing is the fans that refuse to take any chance to try and improve and are content just to sit and pray that the next qb will be able to pass when the system is flawed itself in that regard, and that DC#4 will be the answer so that we finally don't have a bad defense after 11 years.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Nobody adds anything new. We have the same people blaming the BoR/ADs/Academics/Blah blah blah.

We just got blown out by UGA, a topic is started about firing coaches and you don't expect it to turn into one about Johnson? Really?
I agree that the same old arguments are being thrown out there, both in support of and critical of the current coaching staff. Neither argument is instructive to our current situation, and essentially turns the threads into *****-fests. In fairness, I should probably suggest to the people who are ranting about the "Hill" or the BOR that we get it too. Yours was just the post that triggered my response. Nothing personal.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
No, the frustrating thing is the fans that refuse to take any chance to try and improve and are content just to sit and pray that the next qb will be able to pass when the system is flawed itself in that regard, and that DC#4 will be the answer so that we finally don't have a bad defense after 11 years.

Uh not sure if serious on trying to improve. Tech is in a very delicate spot. Let's say we fire Paul Johnson and hire a Larry Fedora and tank to 1-11. We are already in a financial mess with coaches another "chance" puts you deeper in the hole. Sure we could hit it big but that is not the correct move at the moment.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Uh not sure if serious on trying to improve. Tech is in a very delicate spot. Let's say we fire Paul Johnson and hire a Larry Fedora and tsnk to 1-11. We are aleealr in a financial mess with coaches another "chance" puts you deeper in the hole. Sure we could hit it big but that is not the correct move at the moment.

Then we shouldn't have made a reactionary move to pay Johnson so much more after one good year, and then extend him after missing a bowl.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Then we shouldn't have made a reactionary move to pay Johnson so much more after one good year, and then extend him after missing a bowl.
When he got his big pay raise in 14, didnt he get it because the success proved. HE AND AST COACH were what we needed for orange bowl like success .

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Uh not sure if serious on trying to improve. Tech is in a very delicate spot. Let's say we fire Paul Johnson and hire a Larry Fedora and tank to 1-11. We are already in a financial mess with coaches another "chance" puts you deeper in the hole. Sure we could hit it big but that is not the correct move at the moment.
So what happens if Paul Johnson next week announces he's retiring after the Bowl Game?:cigar:

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
When he got his big pay raise in 14, didnt he get it because the success proved. HE AND AST COACH were what we needed for orange bowl like success .

I don't know why he was given it. I do know it hasn't payed off. Also, remind me, who was the DC that year?

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Guys unless we expand the curriculum AND lower our admission standards our recruiting will never change. I’ve always paid lip service to this and believed it to a certain extent. But this weekend has absolutely convinced me. I was at my hunting camp and one of my friends (an OBGYN as well as his wife) kid who is a freshman at Mississippi State came over. He is majoring in chemical engineering. Very smart kid. He wants to go to medical school. Said he was switching majors to something easy to get his GPA up. His hardest class....calculus. I was shocked. Calculus 1-3 were my easiest classes just about. He never took it in high school (how I do not know cause I will damn sure make sure my kids do). Most 18 year olds that don’t have a mathematical background do not want to major in engineering. So that leaves management. We have got to offer something that kids want to major in. Like a sports science degree. Sports management. Something.

You can talk to these kids until your blue in the face. Nothing is going to change. You can look at the places that are super successful and it is because they have lots of variety to offer lots of different kinds of kids with different interests. Right now Alabama, Clemson, and OSU are the NFL’s minor leagues. We will not be that. Other teams can compete with them every so often. Now we can as wel. It is just that much harder because the smaller pool of kids that will be interested.

Odds just are not in our favor. I truly believe this offense is an equalizer. And in 11 years we have been pretty dang competitive. And ever so often it comes together and we are very competitive. We were never really competitive with Gailey. We were with O’Leary but that was a different time academically so it’s. It really comparable.
Most of UGA’s players only go to class because they have to. They only pick a major because they have to. These people have one focus/drive in life and that’s football. If they don’t make the NFL they have no backup plan. They are extremely good at football and it is their entire life plan.

I wish more attention was brought to what happens to the vast majority that don’t go pro, but nobody cares about that or it makes them feel uncomfortable.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
This is rich. You say a coaching change is the answer on O but you imply the same is impossible on D. What’s the magic difference between O and D that allows one to be greatly affected by the guy who oversees it and one not at all?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Whether alums or fans want to admit it, GT is not a destination coaching job any more. It is an interim step whilst he goes about campaigning for a really good job somewhere. So folks with sugar plums dancing in their heads need to know the first result is: no name coach to Georgia Tech. There is no profit to it, in career or money. The second is start looking at the third year coach who whose Keokuk Finishing School won the Carousel Conference this season by slinging it on every down and is really, really, really good with the media. Or a coordinator from a good program who will be in Atlanta two years and high hurdle higher. (See Morris -- Clemson, SMU, Arkansas. Clemson because he ran the type offense Swinney demanded; SMU because he couldn't lose no matter how much he lost, and Arkansas because presumably it was a destination job. Another year like this one, though, and ...) But if one insists on dreaming, dream big. No Stoops. Get Saban.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Some perspective on others programs facing coaching dilemmas. It’s not all a bed of roses & we had better be prepared to enter the arms race if we cut and run. It’s the equivalent of having too big a mortgage, two huge car loans plus starting down the barrel of sending a couple of kids to college but then going boat shopping. Man I hope my company performs better so I can pay off all this crap!

https://www.denverpost.com/2018/11/25/colorado-buffaloes-mike-macintyre-buyout-ncaa-insanity/

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Whether alums or fans want to admit it, GT is not a destination coaching job any more. It is an interim step whilst he goes about campaigning for a really good job somewhere. So folks with sugar plums dancing in their heads need to know the first result is: no name coach to Georgia Tech. There is no profit to it, in career or money. The second is start looking at the third year coach who whose Keokuk Finishing School won the Carousel Conference this season by slinging it on every down and is really, really, really good with the media. Or a coordinator from a good program who will be in Atlanta two years and high hurdle higher. (See Morris -- Clemson, SMU, Arkansas. Clemson because he ran the type offense Swinney demanded; SMU because he couldn't lose no matter how much he lost, and Arkansas because presumably it was a destination job. Another year like this one, though, and ...) But if one insists on dreaming, dream big. No Stoops. Get Saban.

So would there be anything wrong with selling the idea to a new coach - “hey look, we want you here and believe you will be successful. We are putting all these millions of $ into facilities, staffing and spiffy unis of any color you want. You will, unlike other places, be given ample time. Heck we gave one guy 11 years for going 50%. And, if you win, we have a track record of getting guys the chance to land the HC job at bama, n.d., and even NFL jobs like the Chargers.”

But they got those chances because they succeeded here. Rinse and repeat.

But maybe it is more satisfying to try and make us Ga Southern instead of something better.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck

We are hemorrhaging fans and constantly missing out on gaining new ones. The long term financial health of the program is in way worse shape than the short term.

Right now our financial strategy seems to be to squeeze blood out of a decreasing number of stones.

We have a way bigger issue than buyouts.

Status
Not open for further replies.