Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
It’s really not that hard. GT has been in the ACC for 35 years. Outside of 1990, GT had never won the ACC, never won a major bowl, and never won 11 games in a season. In 24 years!

CPJ has done all of that and twice won 11 games in a season. CPJ is largely a victim of his own success.

Additional note, between 1971 and 2007, GT won 9+ games 5 times in 37 seasons. CPJ has won 9+ games 4 times.
I’m right there with you man. Sadly, part of running a program is ensuring the money keeps coming in. I know nothing about the big donor support, but facts like you’re making won’t help if we lose big money.

I think it’d be incredibly short sighted to fire CPJ, but his resume to date is only part of the story.

Animal02

Banned
It’s really not that hard. GT has been in the ACC for 35 years. Outside of 1990, GT had never won the ACC, never won a major bowl, and never won 11 games in a season. In 24 years!

CPJ has done all of that and twice won 11 games in a season. CPJ is largely a victim of his own success.

Additional note, between 1971 and 2007, GT won 9+ games 5 times in 37 seasons. CPJ has won 9+ games 4 times.
Agree mostly, but to be fair it wasn't until 1990 that they played 12 regular season games.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Here’s an interesting fact that I just discovered. We were ranked in the top 15 at one point in the season every year from 05-11. I was impressed by that and it showed how much respect our program had just 6 years ago.

This is a pretty interesting stat. Pretty crazy we finished the year ranked under O’Leary with records of 7-5, 8-5, and 8-4.

We have had five different seasons since then with the same or better record in which we did not end up ranked (including both CCG and CPJ years). Interesting.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Agree mostly, but to be fair it wasn't until 1990 that they played 12 regular season games.

More like 2004 or so...from 1990 til then there was an occasional 12 game year due to 1aa teams

Edit. It was actually 2006 when it switched to 12 game schedules across the board.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
More like 2004 or so...from 1990 til then there was an occasional 12 game year due to 1aa teams

Edit. It was actually 2006 when it switched to 12 game schedules across the board.

Not only that, but on two separate years Johnson got to face two FCS opponents in the same year.

Winning % against FBS opponents:
O’Leary: 60%
Gailey: 56%
Johnson: 54%

CPJ has definitely been our most successful coach at racking up FCS wins.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
O can understand comparing CCG to CPJ vis-a-vis recruiting, but to compare CGO'L to CPJ ignores a major issue. In 2005, GT was put on probation for using academically ineligible players, and initially the records from 1998/1999-2004/2005 were to be vacated. CGO'L was a piece of work, a liar, and after being found negligent in the death of a student athlete, should never work in this business again. I liked him when he was our coach, but that was before I found out what a horrible person he is.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Not only that, but on two separate years Johnson got to face two FCS opponents in the same year.

As much as I support CPJ, I loathe playing FCS schools, and detest playing two in one year. That being said, the coaches do not set the schedule, and the years that we played two were a function of schedules having to be made in a hurry due to the rapidly evolving landscape in regards to conference realignment at that time. Since the terrain has settled, we don't see schedules like that anymore.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
As much as I support CPJ, I loathe playing FCS schools, and detest playing two in one year. That being said, the coaches do not set the schedule, and the years that we played two were a function of schedules having to be made in a hurry due to the rapidly evolving landscape in regards to conference realignment at that time. Since the terrain has settled, we don't see schedules like that anymore.

I think we only played 2 FCS maybe one year? No one is going to do that anymore because only one can count toward bowl eligibility.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
I think we only played 2 FCS maybe one year? No one is going to do that anymore because only one can count toward bowl eligibility.
The only reason we did that IIRC was because we had a team cancel on us and we couldn't find anyone else willing to play us.

THWG

Helluva Engineer

I get what you're saying, but CCG and CGO'L never had to deal with a Clemson team that is as good as they are now, or a well coached Duke team. They also didn't have to deal with Va Tech or Miami every year (at least not until the end of CCG's tenure). There also wasn't the parity in the ACC then like there is now.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
The only reason we did that IIRC was because we had a team cancel on us and we couldn't find anyone else willing to play us.

Yeah it was 2013. We ended up adding Alabama A & M, but we tried getting a team from the Big 10, Big East or CUSA.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

There is unquestionably an argument to be made that O'Leary was a better coach at GT than CPJ (at least based on just the on-field results). That said, once he had success, he bolted for a better job, so we will never know if he could have kept it up for 11 years.

As for Gailey, I think folks get that the win percentages between Gailey and CPJ are pretty close. The overall win percentage is not the reason most "CPJ fans" want to keep him. The reason most CPJ fans want to keep him is that, despite some bad years, he has had some years with great success. And they are willing to put up with some bad/mediocre years if they also come with that success. For most CPJ fans, these are the comparison stats that matter:

Seasons with more than 7 wins: CCG 1/6 -- CPJ 5/10
Seasons with winning ACC record: CCG 2/6 -- CPJ 7/11
ACC Championship games: CCG 1/6 -- CPJ 3/11
BCS Bowls: CCG 0/6 -- CPJ 2/11
Wins over UGA: CCG 0/6 -- 3/10

Last edited:

33jacket

Helluva Engineer

many teams coaches get ridiculous amounts of cupcakes. Look at uga. Umass. Austin Peay. MTSU

Last year. Samford. ND. App state. For their ND I give you our UT. Sure you can't tell how good those teams will be once scheduled. But we played a P5 too

2016 LA Lafayett, Nichols State. UNC. We played Vandy, the same vandy that beat UGA.

2015 lousiana monroe, southern, georgia southern. We played notred dame, tulane, georgia southern

my point is, its not like UGA does anything any different. These are so comparable with many of the same teams....we can knock the schedule we play but the reality is so many teams do about the same thing.

so for me...its a wash...Look at the 2 cupcakes a year Bama plays...etc etc...so...eh..

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
O can understand comparing CCG to CPJ vis-a-vis recruiting, but to compare CGO'L to CPJ ignores a major issue. In 2005, GT was put on probation for using academically ineligible players, and initially the records from 1998/1999-2004/2005 were to be vacated. CGO'L was a piece of work, a liar, and after being found negligent in the death of a student athlete, should never work in this business again. I liked him when he was our coach, but that was before I found out what a horrible person he is.
I can tell you first-hand he was a jerk, but I had always respected him as a coach until the bold above. I would imagine the hard fall that UCF had under him had a lot to do with his style. Not many players liked him. Respected him as a coach and for his defensive knowledge, yes, but no love lost.

Plus as you say - you can't compare the two. As far as inheriting a 1-win team, that team had a lot of talent on it thanks to the recruiting under Ross. B*** L***** just wasn't a good head coach. It took him all year to realize he had two NFL running backs on his roster, NFL talent on defense, etc.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
many teams coaches get ridiculous amounts of cupcakes. Look at uga. Umass. Austin Peay. MTSU

Last year. Samford. ND. App state. For their ND I give you our UT. Sure you can't tell how good those teams will be once scheduled. But we played a P5 too

2016 LA Lafayett, Nichols State. UNC. We played Vandy, the same vandy that beat UGA.

2015 lousiana monroe, southern, georgia southern. We played notred dame, tulane, georgia southern

my point is, its not like UGA does anything any different. These are so comparable with many of the same teams....we can knock the schedule we play but the reality is so many teams do about the same thing.

so for me...its a wash...Look at the 2 cupcakes a year Bama plays...etc etc...so...eh..

What does UGA have to do with this? Simply comparing Tech coach’s ability to win vs FBS teams.

GOL and CCG did a better job of that than CPJ.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I get what you're saying, but CCG and CGO'L never had to deal with a Clemson team that is as good as they are now, or a well coached Duke team. They also didn't have to deal with Va Tech or Miami every year (at least not until the end of CCG's tenure). There also wasn't the parity in the ACC then like there is now.

You are right. There is parity in the ACC. It is trash across the board (save Clemson). The coastal is the worst division in the P5.

Status
Not open for further replies.