Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Our offense has also done pretty good so far this year with us losing our BB1, our QB1 getting hurt, losing our QB2 before the season, and shuffling the OL around so much. Better players will help, but how much? We need better athletes on defense more than anything. While there is negative recruiting due to our offense on that side, if you are dumb enough to not understand what a scout team is then you won't make it at Tech anyway.

Our defense is about as fun as a defense kids could want, and hopefully on field improvement along with developing players gets us bigger recruits.
And faster

COJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
GT had a better chance.
Since CPJ has took over the talent level has dipped across the board. Under Chan GT consistently put players in the league.
Burnett
Dwyer
CJ
Bey Bey
Morgan
ect all under Chan

Under CPJ
JT
Shaq
Waller

It’s not a comparison.
Forgot Gotsis who is doing quite well. I would put smelter on the list. Wasn’t for injury he still woulda be playing. And what about Cone? Or S Hill? Or .... maybe the list is closer than you think

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Forgot Gotsis who is doing quite well. I would put smelter on the list. Wasn’t for injury he still woulda be playing. And what about Cone? Or S Hill? Or .... maybe the list is closer than you think

Or TJ Barnes or Euclid Cummings or Emmanuel Dieke or Brandon Watts or Anthony Allen

Ok, so here is the gist of this entire thing. GT has rarely had issues on offense, except some of the CCG years. What we can not recruit is enough defense. Primarily D-lineman. Even in the Tenuta years we had to blitz a lot and got burned. And those years was before spread attacks. Hell in 1999 we probably had the best offense in the nation, but our D couldn't stop any one. What CPJ understands is this lack of defense at Tech. His offense had never been the issue. We are averaging almost 40 point per game. But what it does is limit his defense to may be having to face 9 possessions per game. For those of you that want a change. are you ready to face giving teams 15 possessions a game? that is probably 49 points we give up. We might as well join the Big 12. And chances are we can't recruit offense to keep up. Argue this if you can.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Ok, so here is the gist of this entire thing. GT has rarely had issues on offense, except some of the CCG years. What we can not recruit is enough defense. Primarily D-lineman. Even in the Tenuta years we had to blitz a lot and got burned. And those years was before spread attacks. Hell in 1999 we probably had the best offense in the nation, but our D couldn't stop any one. What CPJ understands is this lack of defense at Tech. His offense had never been the issue. We are averaging almost 40 point per game. But what it does is limit his defense to may be having to face 9 possessions per game. For those of you that want a change. are you ready to face giving teams 15 possessions a game? that is probably 49 points we give up. We might as well join the Big 12. And chances are we can't recruit offense to keep up. Argue this if you can.

Johnson inherited a program that had been to bowl games for 11 straight seasons. Quit acting like our only hope is Johnson and his offense.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
are you ready to face giving teams 15 possessions a game?
I agree with you but I do want to correct you here. The national average is 12.5 and only Syracuse is close to averaging 15 at 14.8 per game and is the only one close to 15.

Right now we are sitting around 10.5 per game.

Oklahoma is only averaging 11.4.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
How many Orange Bowls, How many wins over Fla State and Georgia. In a time when we had 7 guarantee wins because the ACC was weak.

The ACC is terrible this year and quite frankly the Coastal has been a dumpster fire for a while. The Coastal was certainly better when VT and Miami first came into the conference as both programs were significantly better than what they are now.

I agree Johnson did very well with Gailey’s players. That we can agree with and I loved the 14 team. I was one of the few fans that made the trip to that Orange Bowl.

Here’s an interesting fact that I just discovered. We were ranked in the top 15 at one point in the season every year from 05-11. I was impressed by that and it showed how much respect our program had just 6 years ago. How did we go from that to saying a coach is doing great by winning 7 games? Or accepting a coach that misses bowl games in 2 of 3 years?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
The two have to ignore the facts to validate their narrative.
This is a SUPER hard subject, and I am glad I am not the AD who has to decide these things. Thankfully it sounds like Todd and Paul have a good working relationship. I would guess Todd has laid out his expectations, and Paul has acknowledged how he plans to accomplish them. Hopefully the programs can take another step forward next year

Animal02

Banned
This is a SUPER hard subject, and I am glad I am not the AD who has to decide these things. Thankfully it sounds like Todd and Paul have a good working relationship. I would guess Todd has laid out his expectations, and Paul has acknowledged how he plans to accomplish them. Hopefully the programs can take another step forward next year
It is not just football.......it extends to most sports. Kids will ride the bench for a couple of years at Duke or UNCheat for a shot at a NC ring in BB...........no one does that at Tech.
It will always be hard to recruit the neanderthal type Defensive lineman. :cautious:

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
The ACC is terrible this year and quite frankly the Coastal has been a dumpster fire for a while. The Coastal was certainly better when VT and Miami first came into the conference as both programs were significantly better than what they are now.

I agree Johnson did very well with Gailey’s players. That we can agree with and I loved the 14 team. I was one of the few fans that made the trip to that Orange Bowl.

Here’s an interesting fact that I just discovered. We were ranked in the top 15 at one point in the season every year from 05-11. I was impressed by that and it showed how much respect our program had just 6 years ago. How did we go from that to saying a coach is doing great by winning 7 games? Or accepting a coach that misses bowl games in 2 of 3 years?
Last year was the first time Miami has won 10 games in a season while a member of the ACC. Miami has never won the ACC. Also, O’Leary was gone before VT and Miami joined the ACC. Weren’t you all about factual information? Now you’re just obfuscating.

TheTechGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
It’s really not that hard. GT has been in the ACC for 35 years. Outside of 1990, GT had never won the ACC, never won a major bowl, and never won 11 games in a season. In 24 years!

CPJ has done all of that and twice won 11 games in a season. CPJ is largely a victim of his own success.

Additional note, between 1971 and 2007, GT won 9+ games 5 times in 37 seasons. CPJ has won 9+ games 4 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.