Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Then we should’ve never fired Paul Hewitt.

Well....

Where in his contract does it list one of his job requirements as putting players in the NFL? Last I checked we only pay him for wins, bowl appearances, and finishing in the rankings.

He also has academic requirements.
What do you think succesful programs are selling to recruits? Do you want talented kids?

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
OK. He’s a bad recruiter.
I will use the final 4 years. I don't have time to go find every year, but I thought I'd make sure to include Gailey's outlier year.

2004 48
2005 70
2006 62
2007 15
Avg: 48.75

2018 54
2017 48
2016 60
2015 44
Avg: 51.5

I am not convinced we are doing worse recruiting under CPJ. Gailey had a remarkable recruiting season in 2007, and we will sadly never know whether it could have been repeated.

Does CPJ offensive scheme limited us from getting offensive players who's goal is only the NFL? Probably, but if we keep putting out a top 10 offense I don't think that is a big issue.

The defense never had a 5 star recruit. It has still never had a 5 star recruit. You can blame the offense, but then explain why we did not get one before CPJ?

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m not at all certain a CPJ disciple will replace CPJ if he ends his stay upon retiring. I think one or maybe two might get consideration. But CPJ's scheme isn’t the only scheme that can work at Tech. It’s one of many.

However....if we ever make a coaching hire to generate fan excitement primarily...we could get Bill Lewis 2.0. Fan excitement shouldn’t even be a factor for an AD. It should all be about the potential for Ws.

Agree re: B*** L*****2.0. That's a risk with any coaching change. It's the big reason I'm hesitant to call for CPJ to go any time soon.

But, it's not excitement for excitement's sake we need with a hire. It's about money. We need a hire, whoever it is, that gets the fans optimistic enough to contribute to the program. That is something the AD should consider.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Les is good for Kansas, especially if he's cheap. It gets people interested and he can recruit well. More importantly, he knows how football works and even if he's basically a consultant that tells the administration where to put the money and how to reach out to fans it's a massive upgrade to what they have had before. I don't know how well he'll do, but he can probably at least set them up so whoever the next guy is he has something to work with.
Les Miles is getting paid 2.75 million a season

https://thespun.com/big-12/how-much-kansas-is-reportedly-paying-les-miles

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
How many times has CPJ finished Top 10 in offense? That's an honest question.
What was the record of the team overall?

Sparkybob

Georgia Tech Fan
CPJ just revealed on his show that Ken Niumatalolo was offered the Arizona job but he turned it down after talking with Paul.

Maybe CPJ is angling for Ken to take his job when he retires ;)

Sparkybob

Georgia Tech Fan
Ken won't be on my preferred list of candidates but I can see CPJ if he retires rather than gets fired trying to persuade the school to keep his offense which probably won't work out for him.

Boaty1

Helluva Engineer
Although we've never really brought in the big time 4 and 5 star recruits, a sentiment held by many on this board (and any other one about Georgia Tech football for that matter) is that this offense prevents us for landing elite recruits with legitimate NFL aspirations. But others will bring forth the evidence that this same offense is the great equalizer that allows us to overcome these recruiting deficiencies, and compete with teams with superior talent. My question to the board is do you guys believe the work that T-Stan is doing to raise money and devote more resources towards recruiting will bring better results in recruiting? Or will it always be the same as long as we run the triple option? Will a new offense make us more attractive to kids? Or will we always have a tougher time because we're Georgia Tech?

Recruiting under this coach is not likely to improve regardless of the resources we invest. At a school with several disadvantages in regards to recruiting, the biggest disadvantage is the offense. The argument about this offense being the great equalizer sounds good. But when you see this coach is not outperforming his predecessors, it really falls flat.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Recruiting under this coach is not likely to improve regardless of the resources we invest. At a school with several disadvantages in regards to recruiting, the biggest disadvantage is the offense. The argument about this offense being the great equalizer sounds good. But when you see this coach is not outperforming his predecessors, it really falls flat.

This post during hate week suggests dwag troll.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Here are the ACC Coach ratings according to College Football News

1) Dino Babers Syracuse

2) Dabo Swinney Clemson

3) Pat Narduzzi Pitt

4) David Cutcliffe Duke

5) Bronco Mendenhall Virginia

6) Steve Addazio Boston College

7) Paul Johnson Georgia Tech

8) Dave Clawson Wake Forest

9) Dave Doeren NCSU

10) Willie Taggart FSU

11) Mark Richt Miami

12) Justin Fuente Virginia Tech

13) Larry Fedora North Carolina

14) Bobby Petrino Louisville

Milwaukee

Banned
CPJ just revealed on his show that Ken Niumatalolo was offered the Arizona job but he turned it down after talking with Paul.

Maybe CPJ is angling for Ken to take his job when he retires ;)

That's not how that Arizona situation went down at all. I like Paul but sometimes he's completely full of **** when he talks to the media. 2 weeks ago he was saying everytime he took Southern to UGA Richt pulled his antics, come to find out the timeline didn't even match up. He says a lot of stuff with the media that's just weird.

And hell no to Ken as well please.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
Arizona has a few bad things going for it right now. I think it was a good job for an unemployed guy like Sumlin, but not for a guy like Coach Ken. The school is getting sued for sexual harassment/hostile work environment under Rich Rod and the basketball program might be nuked for the Adidas scandal. The Pac12 deal is also looking like a disaster and nobody sees their games because of the awful Pac12 scheduling.

Does this argument ever end.......We have never been an NFL factory and we never will be. We do however create some great College football players. Robert Lavette, Jerry Mays, Shawn Jones, Josh Nesbitt, I could go on.

The only offensive limitation on the offense is at QB. And as I have said many times, there has never been a starter at QB in the NFL from Georgia Tech. Do you think the NFL would not love to get a very Talented OL from us? How about Wide receivers that can block. B-backs that have to run with power. A-backs that would be great slot backs. If the NFL is all about the Power 5 and running those offenses, why are there so many Group of 5 kids playing and starting in the NFL.

Our recruiting is simply one issue........can you pass calculus?

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Here are the ACC Coach ratings according to College Football News

1) Dino Babers Syracuse

2) Dabo Swinney Clemson

3) Pat Narduzzi Pitt

4) David Cutcliffe Duke

5) Bronco Mendenhall Virginia

6) Steve Addazio Boston College

7) Paul Johnson Georgia Tech

8) Dave Clawson Wake Forest

9) Dave Doeren NCSU