Paul Johnson time frame.

What gets CPJ fired or encouraged to resign?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes! It is the offense that is keeping all these 4 and 5 star phenoms away from Georgia Tech. Tech has such a large athletic budget, and some of the nicest facilities in the country, yet we hinder ourselves with this offense. Prior to running this offense, we had to turn away 4 and 5 star players because we did not have room for them. In fact, the NCAA created the 85 scholarship limit in 2007 because Georgia Tech had over 100 4 and 5 stars that wanted to play for the program.

If we stopped running this offense, Trevor Lawrence would transfer in and Saquon Barkley would forgo his NFL career to return for just one year to play for Georgia Tech's powerful football program. Damn this offense and the 10 National Championships it has cost us in the last ten years.

We can't recruit decent OLmen nor a QB who can complete an 8 yard pass and that's because of the gimmicky, archaic, scored-0-pts-vs-PITT offense we run.

Calvin Johnson and Demaryius Thomas would never step foot on campus today, not that CPJ would bother trying to recruit them.

No amount of $$ spent nor facilities upgraded is going to make any 5-star football player want to play for this coach and this offense.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Those guys are 38-6 under our current styles of offense. They’ve combined for 10k passing yards and nearly 100 passing TDs. Both have led their teams to a college football playoff.

I can promise you Kelly Bryant wouldn’t do well in a triple option. He can barely make the reads on our simplistic RPOs.

Conflating two arguments. Never said that those guys aren't great in the Clemson/Bama offense because they are and have been. The point I was making is that there is no schematic advantage for Kelley Bryant making the NFL for Clemson than there would be for GT. He simply isn't (in my opinion) an NFL QB. Take nothing from the kid, he's really good in the college game and he may be good enough to make an NFL roster, but he's not an NFL career QB. The GT offense would not really hurt his NFL chances any more than Clemson's. Now, a player that is really accurate and make all the NFL throws - yes, GT's offense is detrimental. There are a whole bunch of top tier college QBs that have no real shot at being an NFL player at QB who would put GT at the next level in QB play. Demariyus Thomas has already proven what a WR can do in the NFL coming from this offense. Remember Nick Marshall who took Auburn to the NC? That kid would have been a freak at GT in GTs offense. He was pursued heavily by GT staff. Chose to be a DB at UGA then transferred to Auburn to run the Gus Malzahn offense that is very similar to GT's but from the gun (plus no stigma).

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
We can't recruit decent OLmen nor a QB who can complete an 8 yard pass and that's because of the gimmicky, archaic, scored-0-pts-vs-PITT offense we run.

Calvin Johnson and Demaryius Thomas would never step foot on campus today, not that CPJ would bother trying to recruit them.

No amount of $$ spent nor facilities upgraded is going to make any 5-star football player want to play for this coach and this offense.

Come on man. You're letting your illogical hatred of PJ and his o shine through. Of course PJ tries to recruit the same athletic olinemen that Auburn, UGA, Clemson, etc recruit. Same goes with WR. He just can't reel them in. He can't reel them in because he can't overcome the stigma of the offense and school simultaneously. BTW, Thomas wasn't a very highly rated receiver in high school. He was a lowly 3 star.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
So you are saying that making it to the NFL is the number one reason for going to college?

Don’t think he’s saying that, Supersize. But if a top HS player does indeed have the potential to play in the NFL, he’d most likely pick a school with a pro-style or similar offense, not one like ours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So why didn't any 5-star football player play for any other coach and any other offense we have had? Or do you not realize that Tech has NEVER signed a 5-star football player?

Don’t think he’s saying that, Supersize. But if a top HS player does indeed have the potential to play in the NFL, he’d most likely pick a school with a pro-style or similar offense, not one like ours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I think his response to my post indicates that that was indeed what he was saying.

CUIEgrad21

Banned
Conflating two arguments. Never said that those guys aren't great in the Clemson/Bama offense because they are and have been. The point I was making is that there is no schematic advantage for Kelley Bryant making the NFL for Clemson than there would be for GT. He simply isn't (in my opinion) an NFL QB. Take nothing from the kid, he's really good in the college game and he may be good enough to make an NFL roster, but he's not an NFL career QB. The GT offense would not really hurt his NFL chances any more than Clemson's. Now, a player that is really accurate and make all the NFL throws - yes, GT's offense is detrimental. There are a whole bunch of top tier college QBs that have no real shot at being an NFL player at QB who would put GT at the next level in QB play. Demariyus Thomas has already proven what a WR can do in the NFL coming from this offense. Remember Nick Marshall who took Auburn to the NC? That kid would have been a freak at GT in GTs offense. He was pursued heavily by GT staff. Chose to be a DB at UGA then transferred to Auburn to run the Gus Malzahn offense that is very similar to GT's but from the gun (plus no stigma).

I can almost guarantee it would be detrimental for KB and Hurts to play QB under a triple option offense if they were even good enough to be pro QBs. I’m not arguing that those guys are pro QBs.

I’m arguing that no one takes your offense or footbal program seriously. It’s ran off an offense that was popular in the 1970s and early 80s. It doesn’t suit this era of football and Georgia Tech would be smart to move on from it if they cared about their athletic program.

CUIEgrad21

Banned
I think his response to my post indicates that that was indeed what he was saying.

So you think Taquan Marshall, Travis Etinne, don’t have aspersions to play in the pros ? You honestly think Marshall choose GA Tech because it has an outstanding engineering school and STEM program ? You’d be a fool to believe this.

Ga Tech isn’t good at football because they hired a man who runs an offense straight out of the 70s. It has nothing to do with how hard your school is to get into. Academic standards are lower for college atheletes, that’s just the fact.

Milwaukee

Banned
I can almost guarantee it would be detrimental for KB and Hurts to play QB under a triple option offense if they were even good enough to be pro QBs. I’m not arguing that those guys are pro QBs.

I’m arguing that no one takes your offense or footbal program seriously. It’s ran off an offense that was popular in the 1970s and early 80s. It doesn’t suit this era of football and Georgia Tech would be smart to move on from it if they cared about their athletic program.

But those 2 qbs aren't good enough nor have the skill set to run our TO at an elite level. You can go away now, or you can continue to take time out of your sad afternoon to do what you're doing.

Milwaukee

Banned
Wrong. 247 list Megatron as a 5 Star.

But Calvin would never attend Ga Tech under this gimmicky offense.

Calvin was not a 5 star when he was recruited, you moron. Were you peacockin' when Deshaun went down in '14? That's a rhetorical question, don't answer that. You talk a lot when you're winning apparently.

Have a good one bud.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
So you think Taquan Marshall, Travis Etinne, don’t have aspersions to play in the pros ? You honestly think Marshall choose GA Tech because it has an outstanding engineering school and STEM program ? You’d be a fool to believe this.

Ga Tech isn’t good at football because they hired a man who runs an offense straight out of the 70s. It has nothing to do with how hard your school is to get into. Academic standards are lower for college atheletes, that’s just the fact.

CPJ is 5-6 against Clemson during his tenure and he’s 3-1 against Clemson at home. Not great but nothing like you describe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

I read that Taquon wants to go into broadcasting. I think most of our guys would play in the NFL if they had the chance but they are making preparations beyond college if they don’t make it, as every college athlete should.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck

You and I are largely in agreement, just for different reasons.

I think the offense doesn't suit GT only because I do believe that it has hurt recruiting because of the perception that it hurts NFL chances, not because of a real flaw in the system. I don't know your age, but there was once a day and age where Urban Meyer had a similar stigma although not nearly as extreme. Then he won like crazy and the spread offense from the gun became wildly popular and even spread to the NFL in some elements.

Bottom line is good players are good players. There are a bunch of QBs in college that are pretty highly touted who don't have a legit shot at the NFL as a QB no matter what they do. Look at Hurts. Dude has phenomenal stats in college and all everyone can talk about is how he can't pass. Guarantee you if PJ has a player that can throw for 2k and run for 1k he would do it and if that player had a legit shot at the NFL he would get a look. PJ has never had a QB that could pass good enough to even get a sniff of a look at the NFL and it's not because of the system. Nesbitt was a 4star dual threat out of high school. Had a rocket arm, but it was a scatter gun. Couldn't reliably make NFL throws. The system didn't hurt his draft stock, the fact that he couldn't throw at an NFL level did. Dude was pretty good at QB for GT, but wouldn't have played a serious down at another school as a QB that didn't run some option game. To make it in the NFL you have to be elite of the elite. There are a ton of QBs for major programs that would be excellent at GT in this offense who don't have a legit NFL shot, but they all think they can.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is a tough question to answer: "What gets Paul Johnson fired or encouraged to resign?". I took it from the Stansbury perspective so I said he's here till 2020. The only change to that will be if we start getting 15,000 fans in the seats. But with opposing teams buying up so many seats (UGAg), that won't happen except for BG and similar mismatched games.

But if I take the question from my perspective, it's making a bowl game.

I don't think we'll make a bowl game. We have too many weaknesses on O, D and ST.

We started the year and I thought we'd go 7-5 regular season. Now I think 5-7 is a stretch goal. The O is banged up already, we have no reliable backup for QB, the ST look like they may be as bad as last year (Football Outsiders rankings start after week 7), and the D can't perform in the crunch so far.

BTW, Atomic now has us at 5-7 after starting the year at a 7-5 projection. http://atomicfootball.com/archive/teams/tm_9.html

I don't think a new coach will be that much better or worse overall. All coaches / people have their strengths and weaknesses. So let's just enjoy the games as much as we can. I'll do that by watching the games till it gets ugly and then do something more enjoyable with my life.

CUIEgrad21

Banned
I read that Taquon wants to go into broadcasting. I think most of our guys would play in the NFL if they had the chance but they are making preparations beyond college if they don’t make it, as every college athlete should.

Clemson graduates more players than Tech. I can guarantee we do a better job at preparing our athletes for futures outside of football than Tech does.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck

Other post of mine was tldr;

The reason no one takes the offense seriously is because it doesn't map to the NFL, not because it's not effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.