Paul Johnson era signature game

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Mine are both from 2011.

The incredible 66 - 24 blowout of Kansas: people always said that when the O was working it was like watching a video game. Truer words were never spoken. I have never seen Tech play like that in my entire life. We were - it's a cliche, but it was true that day - unstoppable. I never had a better time watching a game. Until …

Our equally incredible 31 - 17 win over no. 6 Clemson. That was one of the best Clemson teams evah: Taj Boyd, Sammy Watkins, an NFL D-line. And we not only won, we beat their socks off. And they were lucky: if Tevin had spotted Hill free behind the Clemson D on the 3rd quarter play where they intercepted, we would have scored 38 points or more. As I said when I got up from my seat that night and at the top of my lungs: "I love beating Clemson! I love beating Clemson!"

If Coach gives me something like that in the next year or two I'll be extremely happy.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Except going for it "more often than not" isn't really accurate. More often than not, the game situation dictates a punt.

I'd say your example of 4th and one from your own 30 in the first quarter is debatable as to whether one should punt or go for it.

The statistical odds are nearly 80% that you'll make the first down. If you punt it 40 yards and they return it 5 yards (about average, I guess), they'll have it on their 35. From there, they have a nearly 40% chance of scoring. Of course, you have to factor in the relative strength of defenses and offenses of each team, among other factors. If you have a strong defense and a weak offense, you probably should punt.

But I think there is strong statistical evidence that you should go for the first down, on average. There have been exhaustive statistical analyses that show it is right to go for a first down in most situations where it is fourth and one, no matter where you are on the field. The closer you are to your goal line, the closer they will be if you punt. Of course, if you're in field goal range, that's a different situation entirely.

Last edited:

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Our equally incredible 31 - 17 win over no. 6 Clemson. That was one of the best Clemson teams evah: Taj Boyd, Sammy Watkins, an NFL D-line. And we not only won, we beat their socks off. And they were lucky: if Tevin had spotted Hill free behind the Clemson D on the 3rd quarter play where they intercepted, we would have scored 38 points or more. As I said when I got up from my seat that night and at the top of my lungs: "I love beating Clemson! I love beating Clemson!"

Should have been 38-17. Still can't figure out how they didn't call the DT who intercepted our snap on the goal line offsides... (1:31:58 in the video)

Animal02

Banned
I'd say your example of 4th and one from your own 30 in the first quarter is debatable as to whether one should punt or go for it.

The statistical odds are nearly 80% that you'll make the first down. If you punt it 40 yards and they return it 5 yards (about average, I guess), they'll have it on their 35. From there, they have a nearly 40% chance of scoring. Of course, you have to factor in the relative strength of defenses and offenses of each team, among other factors. If you have a strong defense and a weak offense, you probably should punt.

But I think there is strong statistical evidence that you should go for the first down, on average. There have been exhaustive statistical analyses that show it is right to go for a first down in most situations where it is fourth and one, no matter where you are on the field. The closer you are to your goal line, the closer they will be if you punt. Of course, if you're in field goal range, that's a different situation entirely.
And, if you can't gain 1 yard with the game on the line.....you don't deserve to win.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck

Here's what I found and you're right -> http://www.advancedfootballanalytics.com/index.php/home/research/game-strategy/120-4th-down-study

So question is, if it's so statistically favorable to do so, why aren't ANY coaches actually doing so? (The article touches on some reasons). You might respond with "CPJ did that against Clemson!" but 2 things about that are notable:
1. We didn't get the 4th down and Clemson immediately scored, which is the absolute worst-case scenario and fodder for other coaches to point at and say "See? That's damn stupid!"
2. PJ only did that once that I can recall (going for it on 4th and short deep in our own territory in the 1st qtr) so even he wasn't convinced it was the right thing to do.

It's going to take a pretty big culture change at the coaching level for the stats you and the article have cited to become Coaching Norms.

(PS: This discussion is entirely about the "in your own territory" stuff. I agree that in almost every case with the ball on the other side of the 50, you should go for it on 4th and short. A good PK or good defense or sizable lead late in the game affects that decision but that's about it)

LibertyTurns

Banned
It’s a lot like Moneyball. Nobody did it, nobody understood when they started doing it & now nearly everybody does it. It’s accepted in baseball where you have a 162 game schedule and nobody goes back to early June and criticizes a call made that lost a game. With a 12 game football season, it takes some nuts to do what’s actually the right thing when most people believe the opposite is the right move. They way I see it, we’re an Intstitute that’s a world leader in technology and it’s applications. We should be way out ahead of the power curve in every single aspect of the game giving our players the best edge possible. We shouldn’t be following the crowd trying to beat them at their own game. We’re at a significant disadvantage when that’s our strategy & generally history has not been kind to us.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Here's what I found and you're right -> http://www.advancedfootballanalytics.com/index.php/home/research/game-strategy/120-4th-down-study

So question is, if it's so statistically favorable to do so, why aren't ANY coaches actually doing so? (The article touches on some reasons). You might respond with "CPJ did that against Clemson!" but 2 things about that are notable:
1. We didn't get the 4th down and Clemson immediately scored, which is the absolute worst-case scenario and fodder for other coaches to point at and say "See? That's damn stupid!"
2. PJ only did that once that I can recall (going for it on 4th and short deep in our own territory in the 1st qtr) so even he wasn't convinced it was the right thing to do.

It's going to take a pretty big culture change at the coaching level for the stats you and the article have cited to become Coaching Norms.

(PS: This discussion is entirely about the "in your own territory" stuff. I agree that in almost every case with the ball on the other side of the 50, you should go for it on 4th and short. A good PK or good defense or sizable lead late in the game affects that decision but that's about it)

I think one big reason why nobody does it is public perception. If a coach punts from his 30 yard line, whatever happens the coach isn't going to be criticized for it, because everybody does it.

But if he goes for it and doesn't make it, he will be lambasted unmercifully. So while the odds are in the teams favor for going for the first down, the odds for the coach are quite different. Go for it and make it and half the fans are still going to think you're nuts, anyway. Go for it and not make it and it could be the beginning of the end for your million dollar job.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
And if coaches start going for it more often the statistics around it as well as defensive strategies will change.

Maybe a little, but not much I would wager. The odds of making third and one are not going to be appreciably different from the odds of making fourth and one.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I think one big reason why nobody does it is public perception. If a coach punts from his 30 yard line, whatever happens the coach isn't going to be criticized for it, because everybody does it.

But if he goes for it and doesn't make it, he will be lambasted unmercifully. So while the odds are in the teams favor for going for the first down, the odds for the coach are quite different. Go for it and make it and half the fans are still going to think you're nuts, anyway. Go for it and not make it and it could be the beginning of the end for your million dollar job.

I like the article's explanation (paraphrased): "If he goes for it and fails, the coach is blamed. If he punts it and loses, the team (defense) is blamed".

If a coach does start going for it on 4th and 1 from their own 25 early in the game, they better convert at least 80% of the time else they will lose their job, deservedly.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I don't have a signature game, I'll just miss the hoards of big plays. The 20-30yd gashers were fun as hell to watch, and it seemed like when it rained it poured in a good way when it was rolling.

The biggest thing I'm going to miss (again i've already done this transition once as a southern fan as well) is the feeling that every play could be a 60 yard + td) When i watch the falcons or any other style of offense you kinda know when they are calling a shot play. It's setup by other players, its usually rare instead people focus on gettign 4-6 yards on 1st and then going from there.

Now under johnsons' offense we did that but that was kinda the "dump off" of the play. (the last two years due to the lack of passing threat and loaded boxes we became more boom or bust.) But the plays and blocking were always designed for the homerun.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
FSU 2009 might just be my single favorite college football game of all time, and it definitely had my favorite play of all time (Nesbitt’s strip recovery). I’ll always remember the way we kept using that trips formation with an AB out wide going into motion for the usual pitch relationship with JN, and they pretty much never figured out how to stop it (and then we literally never saw that formation again the rest of Paul Johnson’s tenure). Hell, I think I might pop onto GTBob’s channel and watch that game again...it was a hell of a game!
My buddy called in a question to the CPJ radio show after that game, asking why we were in that trips formation all night. He answered that they had used that look in the 2008 game with some success and figured they would be expecting it, except that this game he threw in a wrinkle. And then he said "and they never adjusted or figured it out" and he chuckled. Major kudos to my wingman for making Paul laugh on his call in show.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if it was a signature win, whatever the definition of that may be, but 2008 against Georgia, down two scores at the half followed by a blistering "pep" talk -- which apparently consisted of "if you don't want to play I am taking out your entire family and the neighbors on either side" -- and the lead erased about halfway through the third quarter and a rousing win, sums it up about as well as anything. People forget how badly that "rivalry" was going.