Paul Johnson era signature game

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
If I had to pick a “signature” game for the CPJ era, it would have to be 2012 vs (u)NC. Final score 68-50. Our offense was unstoppable and our defense was incapable of getting a stop.

Doesn’t that result pretty much encapsulate PJ’s offensive superpower and his defensive kryptonite, all in one game?

Last edited:

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
Why did OP even bring up Collins in a post about Paul's signature game?
The reason I brought Coach Collins up is because it's always natural to expect better of the next coach, even one following a 'legend'. That's always the hope, anyway. Having seen the ups and downs of the program over the years (and not being around for Coach Dodd), I recognize that CPJ is probably a once-in-a-generation coach at Tech. It'll be hard for any new Tech coach to top that (so, this wasn't a dig at CGC specifically or a criticism of him). My comments would be the same for just about any CPJ successor. It was a special time at the Flats, and I'm going to miss it.

One thing for sure, it's likely the defense will improve under CGC. A lot of comparisons have been made between Coach Collins and Pepper Rodgers, one of my very favorite all-time Tech coaches (and not necessarily for his record). Coach Rodgers was a skilled recruiter and always had some very tough defenses. If the defense can hold, maybe be won't have to score so much!

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I was at the 2018 UVA game and the 2015 FSU game. They were both unbelievable but for different reasons.

Things were so bad in 2015 that I tried to give my tickets away to the FSU game but I couldn’t find any takers. Lucky me. To beat a good Criminole team by blocking the extremely dependable Aguayo...that was awesome. The UVA game was like watching a Rocky movie. Back and forth and we came out standing at the end. I’m still scratching my head about the attendance at that game after coming off a big Miami win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glad u agree w me on the 18 uva game. Their qb is awesome. Did u see how low the uva dt came into parker or our center. It was text book but we still got a yards.

Sorry to disagree w your description of cgc s actions. Try to realize that he is not talking to us. He's talking to -- for example my dental hygienists. She and her husband are sidewalk fans for fsu. They have season tickets and know all about the coaching and player changes. She likes to talk about it while clean in my teeth. There are way way way more potential sidewalk fans for gt.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
If I had to pick a “signature” game for the CPJ era, it would have to be 2012 vs (u)NC. Final score 68-50. Our offense was unstoppable and our defense was incapable of getting a stop.

Doesn’t that result pretty much encapsulate PJ’s offensive superpower and his defensive kryptonite, all in one game?

I was thinking about a signature win, but I reckon this one had the best and the worst of the era all in one game.

GT_receivers

Jolly Good Fellow
Glad u agree w me on the 18 uva game. Their qb is awesome. Did u see how low the uva dt came into parker or our center. It was text book but we still got a yards.

Sorry to disagree w your description of cgc s actions. Try to realize that he is not talking to us. He's talking to -- for example my dental hygienists. She and her husband are sidewalk fans for fsu. They have season tickets and know all about the coaching and player changes. She likes to talk about it while clean in my teeth. There are way way way more potential sidewalk fans for gt.
I love the 18 uva game, but my favorite senior day game was clemson 14. Defense played out of their minds. It gave us a ton of momentum heading into COFH.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Games that stick out to me:

08 UGA
08 FSU
09 Clemson (both regular season and ACC championship)
09 VT
09 FSU (wasnt a great FSU team, but they were fired up to play for Bobby that day)
11 Clemson
14 UGA
14 VT
15 FSU
16 UGA

FSU 2009 might just be my single favorite college football game of all time, and it definitely had my favorite play of all time (Nesbitt’s strip recovery). I’ll always remember the way we kept using that trips formation with an AB out wide going into motion for the usual pitch relationship with JN, and they pretty much never figured out how to stop it (and then we literally never saw that formation again the rest of Paul Johnson’s tenure). Hell, I think I might pop onto GTBob’s channel and watch that game again...it was a hell of a game!

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
FSU 2009 might just be my single favorite college football game of all time, and it definitely had my favorite play of all time (Nesbitt’s strip recovery). I’ll always remember the way we kept using that trips formation with an AB out wide going into motion for the usual pitch relationship with JN, and they pretty much never figured out how to stop it (and then we literally never saw that formation again the rest of Paul Johnson’s tenure). Hell, I think I might pop onto GTBob’s channel and watch that game again...it was a hell of a game!
Was that the night when Bowden coined the phrase, “dadgum wishbone” ?

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
Was that the night when Bowden coined the phrase, “dadgum wishbone” ?

His halftime speech was pretty funny. I also remember that was one of the only games at that point where he put on the headset. He was pretty famous for running veer at WVU.

One of the few games where I think we lost the time of possession battle and still pulled it out. FSU had the slogging drives and we had the quick hits.

Highlights BTW, I liked the highlight vids from that year. Good mixing of music and game play.

GTFLETCH

Banned
My List! CPJ Era Top Ten Games
1. 09 ACC Title game vs Clemson (Raymond James)
2. 08 UGA
3. 14 OB win (Miss State)
4. 14 UGA
5. 16 UGA
6. 11 Clemson
7. 08 FSU
8. 09 Clemson (regular season)
9. 09 VT
10. 14 VT

My List! CPJ Era Top Ten Losses
1. 09 Orange Bowl Blowout (Iowa)
2. 08 Peach Bowl Blowout (LSU)
3. 12 Middle Tenn State
4. 13 UGA
5. 14 Duke
6. 15 UGA
7. 17 Tenn
8. 18 USF
9. 10 Air Force (Bowl Game)
10. 11 Utah (Bowl Game)

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
OP said 'I don't know what to make of Coach Collins yet.' which is pretty much the definition of casting doubt. Not that there is anything wrong with the statement, but it's a weird thing to comment about in a post about a Paul Johnson signature game. If I say I opened this thread expecting to see 2012 MTSU highlights, would you tell me to grow up?

Saying ‘I don't know what to make of Coach Collins yet’ is hardly casting doubt. Casting doubt would be something like ‘I question that CCG can do better’.

That said, I do agree with you though that the OP should have left any reference to the current coaching staff out of his post. By including it as was done, the OP practically invited the comment. It appears that we may have to get to the end of the CCG era before we can talk about the CPJ era in a levelheaded fashion!

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
My List! CPJ Era Top Ten Games
1. 09 ACC Title game vs Clemson (Raymond James)
2. 08 UGA
3. 14 OB win (Miss State)
4. 14 UGA
5. 16 UGA
6. 11 Clemson
7. 08 FSU
8. 09 Clemson (regular season)
9. 09 VT
10. 14 VT

My List! CPJ Era Top Ten Losses
1. 09 Orange Bowl Blowout (Iowa)
2. 08 Peach Bowl Blowout (LSU)
3. 12 Middle Tenn State
4. 13 UGA
5. 14 Duke
6. 15 UGA
7. 17 Tenn
8. 18 USF
9. 10 Air Force (Bowl Game)
10. 11 Utah (Bowl Game)

For the losses your missing the loss at Kansas. Or maybe like me, you’ve tried like hell to forget it.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Games that stick out to me:

08 UGA
08 FSU
09 Clemson (both regular season and ACC championship)
09 VT
09 FSU (wasnt a great FSU team, but they were fired up to play for Bobby that day)
11 Clemson
14 UGA
14 VT
15 FSU
16 UGA

Great list. I might add:
08 Miami
16 @ VT