Paul Johnson era signature game

GT_receivers

Jolly Good Fellow
My List! CPJ Era Top Ten Games
1. 09 ACC Title game vs Clemson (Raymond James)
2. 08 UGA
3. 14 OB win (Miss State)
4. 14 UGA
5. 16 UGA
6. 11 Clemson
7. 08 FSU
8. 09 Clemson (regular season)
9. 09 VT
10. 14 VT

My List! CPJ Era Top Ten Losses
1. 09 Orange Bowl Blowout (Iowa)
2. 08 Peach Bowl Blowout (LSU)
3. 12 Middle Tenn State
4. 13 UGA
5. 14 Duke
6. 15 UGA
7. 17 Tenn
8. 18 USF
9. 10 Air Force (Bowl Game)
10. 11 Utah (Bowl Game)
09 uga was pretty bad too.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
Paul is gone and posts like this just rip the band-aid off of old sores:rolleyes:

So you're saying it's bad to reminisce about great moments in the last decade-plus of GT football? If you want to bury the last 12 years that's fine. But I'll remember the great moments very fondly, I'll remember our previous coaching staff fondly, and I'll continue to be over-the-moon excited about our new coaching staff. It's indeed possible to say "thank you" to someone and recognize the good he did while here and at the same time be so incredibly jacked up about the future with CGC!

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
The most unbelievable energy in Bobby Dodd goes to 2009 VTech game.
Heh, TV viewers probably think that energy came from knocking off a top 5 opponent, but really everybody was just jumping and hollering to generate some heat in that bloody cold night.

LibertyTurns

Banned
End of 2014, Orange Bowl. It was his best-called game on the biggest stage against one of the highest-ranked teams we'd face during his tenure. The O was never stopped. Even the D played well, all things considered.

It was the pinnacle CPJ-at-GT moment, IMO.
Defense gave up 600+ yds, but it was as if the D had a split personality that game. Outside the red zone they leaked like a sieve, inside the red zone it was random chance if they made a stop with 30% odds of them pulling off a play.

Damn good asswhipping of another SEC team named after a brainless mutt. It was like JfT was a man playing with a bunch of school kids behind an OL that just freaking dominated nearly every damn play. I swear Miss St D was running away from our blockers trying to avoid being hit more than they were trying to make a tackle.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Paul is gone and posts like this just rip the band-aid off of old sores:rolleyes:

It’d be one thing if the end of the Paul Johnson tenure was an unabashed failure and he got fired, but the dude retired with dignity and allowed GT to be in the best possible position moving forward. If you’re so irrational about the man that you can’t even allow other GT fans to look back on the good times, you should probably just log off and take a break. I just don’t get why so many Tech “fans” hate a coach that broke a long losing streak to uga (keeping us with the longest streak in the series), won the conference, and the Orange Bowl. Just let it go, y’all.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if I would call this a signature GAME or not, but I thought his signature moment for us was the Wake Forest overtime win at BDS. I can't really describe how I felt during the timeout, looking at the faces of the people around me in section 103, realizing he's gonna go for it.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I don't know if I would call this a signature GAME or not, but I thought his signature moment for us was the Wake Forest overtime win at BDS. I can't really describe how I felt during the timeout, looking at the faces of the people around me in section 103, realizing he's gonna go for it.
I really hope we don’t start that punting crap on 4th and short again. If you’re going to win games the team needs to man up and take the damn yardage from the team on the other side of the LOS not punt like a bunch of fraidy cats.

RickStromFan

Ramblin' Wreck
I really hope we don’t start that punting crap on 4th and short again. If you’re going to win games the team needs to man up and take the damn yardage from the team on the other side of the LOS not punt like a bunch of fraidy cats.

as long as it's not on our own 35 in the 1st qtr! If you have a weapon at P like we do and a good D, punting can often flip the field to your advantage.

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
Now to the game that set the tone. Down 26 to 12 in Athens at half time and Ga fans heckling PJ about his HS offense. The rest is history. We ripped them a new one in the second half and helped clear my painful memories from being in Athens up 20 to 0 and losing to Ga after Eddie Lee Ivory went down . Although we had big wins over Ga in the next 30 years, none were more enjoyable as I still can see the Ga crowd at halftime laughing it up and looking forward to their bowl game. 1978 to 2008.
28-12.

That has to be THE signature game. We broke a long losing streak to UGA, and if we had lost that game, Georgia would have set the longest streak in the rivalry.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer

Oh I think there will be times we do punt on 4th and “short” (whatever short means).

We now have a staff that believes in expecting excellence in ALL 3 phases of the game O / D / ST. Not just O.

We will, given time, have a D that will enable us to score, put us in position to score, or turn the field position.

IOW, a total football team. Not one that just emphasizes a single aspect of the game to feed an ego.

As for any “signature “ game from the last 11 years - can’t say just one. Of all those labeled great I would have to say ugag 08 because it stopped a streak of theirs. Very important. At the other end of “signature “ games I would have to say kansas.

And the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
Well this particular situation was one where 99 of 100 coaches would have kicked a FG to go to the next OT.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Oh I think there will be times we do punt on 4th and “short” (whatever short means).

We now have a staff that believes in expecting excellence in ALL 3 phases of the game O / D / ST. Not just O.

We will, given time, have a D that will enable us to score, put us in position to score, or turn the field position.

IOW, a total football team. Not one that just emphasizes a single aspect of the game to feed an ego.

As for any “signature “ game from the last 11 years - can’t say just one. Of all those labeled great I would have to say ugag 08 because it stopped a streak of theirs. Very important. At the other end of “signature “ games I would have to say kansas.

And the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Ah yes, because obviously winning a game is less of an ego boost than losing while having a good offensive game. Gtfoh with that kind of nonsense

slugboy

Staff member
I don’t know. The 2008 FSU game screams Paul Johnson to me.
Great offensive play against a top rated team. Against the ropes on defense to end the game. A fluke play to end the game

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GCdaJuiceMan

Helluva Engineer
I have been at Grant watching for 60 yrs.It has never been louder than that night.AWESOME. When Morgan caught their QB on 3rd down, Buckhead shook.

“The hokey pokey is not what it’s all about” I vividly remember someone holding up that sign after the game.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Someone ignoring the importance of D & S/T, and thinking that never punting equals winning more games has a lot of experience with nonsense.
Never punting is idiotic. Kindergarten level statistical analysis is clear when going for it makes sense and it’s most assuredly 4th & short. We’re a damn Institute of Technology for heavan’s sake, but let’s keep burying our heads in the sand and avoid making educated choices.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
There have been a couple of times where going for it on 4th and short straight up cost us the game.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Going for it on 4th and short depends on a lot of factors like field position and how good your defense is. It isn't something you should always do and it isn't something you should never do. Coaches need to get it right more often than not.