Paul Johnson era signature game

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
A few games could legitimately be called "signature games" for Paul Johnson as coach. I'm not thinking here of a signature game for Paul Johnson the coach, but rather, a signature game for "Paul Johnson" the era, the signature game of his tenure. I keep going back in my mind to the '15 game against FSU. This encapsulates the whole spirit of his coaching tenure: the highs amidst the lows... the unexpected turning points... This game had it all: grit, determination, scrappy players, a formidable opponent, a great coach... and a little bit of what one might call "luck". And arguably two of the best play-by-play announcers in college football today to document it all.

I don't know what to make of Coach Collins yet. I think we're going to get a talent bump in the short term. Maybe some early success. But I still don't know if we'll be able to keep up with the factories in today's climate of "championship-or-bust". The TO kept us in games against a lot of teams that outclassed us in talent. It remains to be seen, but I have a feeling the CPJ era won't be matched or eclipsed at the Flats for quite some time. Anyway...

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Paul Johnson retired. Leave it alone.

If people are going to continue with posts like this one that cast doubt on the new staff, I am going to again post FACTS that contradict the OP. I've been biting my tongue, er, fingers, but posts like the OP need to cease.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Not a high flyer game 2018 Virginia game was text book trench warfare. Their dl was great and so was our ol.
My favorite ol dl was Clemson in 14.
Gt 17 in middle 2.quarters - offense a was rolling.

As to keeping up w the factories, I am afraid that the only hope is ncaa.

The ticket sales at university of Texas are 78,000,000. Our total budget is 85,000,000. There total budget is 220,000,000. Both of us have same debt of 220,000,000 and a yearly debt payment (Iirc) of 13,000,000.. We have had thec200,000,000' debt for 8 years. Before that we had 100,000,000 debt since 2006. I wonder what we got for 200,000,000 debt. Now we are building some more stuff. IMO, Should have borrowed more money for coaches. I do wonder where we go from here.

Baylor built a new 44,000 seat ( expandable to 55,000 ) stadium 240,000,000. Minhesr rumblings of debt dissatisfaction there.

The power 5 factoryship has sailed.m We are in debt but launching a fiesta pirate ship. Get a qb and a WR and we could play them close. ButvIbam am hoping we have lots of mid tier success.

Sorry i got side ways on your thread.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
Not casting doubt on the new staff at all. It seems like a better staff than we could have hoped for under the circumstances. A pretty good group. I'm (*cautiously*) excited. However, there are certain realities about college football these days. It seems programs are selling out to get that brass ring, and money and resources are no longer an object for many. It's more cutthroat than I've seen in over 40 years of watching football. Ten-year coaching stints were once normal, and a few guys even coached for an entire generation. Now, the patience of fan bases, major donors and sports writers is incredibly short. Kirby Smart, for example, was hired to do the one thing Mark Richt failed to do: bring a championship to Athens. If he doesn't do that soon, considering his high-profile failures, then he will likely be on the hot seat soon. I don't see Coach Collins under that kind of pressure, but that is the situation Tech faces in many of its opponents, especially among the top-tier programs. It's going to be hard to compete against a lot of that.

To your comment: "Paul Johnson retired. Leave it alone." Unless the moderators determine otherwise, or if one happens to be actively denigrating the new coach, this is an open forum for all kinds of Tech Football topics. And as it turns out, Paul Johnson's legacy is a very important topic. CPJ accomplished a lot and touched a great deal of people during his time here. (Other coaches have retired or left Tech as well.)

GT_05

Helluva Engineer

If people are going to continue with posts like this one that cast doubt on the new staff, I am going to again post FACTS that contradict the OP. I've been biting my tongue, er, fingers, but posts like the OP need to cease.

There are no facts that you can post that will refute this: CGC is 0-0 as a GT head football coach. I don’t think the OP meant any disrespect to the coaching staff. Personally, I’m hopeful about the future but I want to see how CGC’s off the field zeal translates to W’s and L’s at GT before I drink the Koolaid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

This post is no different than asking for the signature game of any GT coach. Stop projecting.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Not casting doubt on the new staff at all. It seems like a better staff than we could have hoped for under the circumstances. A pretty good group. I'm (*cautiously*) excited. However, there are certain realities about college football these days. It seems programs are selling out to get that brass ring, and money and resources are no longer an object for many. It's more cutthroat than I've seen in over 40 years of watching football. Ten-year coaching stints were once normal, and a few guys even coached for an entire generation. Now, the patience of fan bases, major donors and sports writers is incredibly short. Kirby Smart, for example, was hired to do the one thing Mark Richt failed to do: bring a championship to Athens. If he doesn't do that soon, considering his high-profile failures, then he will likely be on the hot seat soon. I don't see Coach Collins under that kind of pressure, but that is the situation Tech faces in many of its opponents, especially among the top-tier programs. It's going to be hard to compete against a lot of that.

To your comment: "Paul Johnson retired. Leave it alone." Unless the moderators determine otherwise, or if one happens to be actively denigrating the new coach, this is an open forum for all kinds of Tech Football topics. And as it turns out, Paul Johnson's legacy is a very important topic. CPJ accomplished a lot and touched a great deal of people during his time here. (Other coaches have retired or left Tech as well.)
You certainly have your view of things . If anyone thinks that our defensive production and recruiting will remain the same under Collins they are not investigating our new staff. I Loved PJ and am loving Collins and company . Love reflection on great games under PJ but also see no reason to attach it to your concerns.

Animal02

Banned

No one is casting doubt on the new staff with a post like this.......grow up.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I was at the 2018 UVA game and the 2015 FSU game. They were both unbelievable but for different reasons.

Things were so bad in 2015 that I tried to give my tickets away to the FSU game but I couldn’t find any takers. Lucky me. To beat a good Criminole team by blocking the extremely dependable Aguayo...that was awesome. The UVA game was like watching a Rocky movie. Back and forth and we came out standing at the end. I’m still scratching my head about the attendance at that game after coming off a big Miami win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
Now to the game that set the tone. Down 26 to 12 in Athens at half time and Ga fans heckling PJ about his HS offense. The rest is history. We ripped them a new one in the second half and helped clear my painful memories from being in Athens up 20 to 0 and losing to Ga after Eddie Lee Ivory went down . Although we had big wins over Ga in the next 30 years, none were more enjoyable as I still can see the Ga crowd at halftime laughing it up and looking forward to their bowl game. 1978 to 2008.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
No one is casting doubt on the new staff with a post like this.......grow up.

OP said 'I don't know what to make of Coach Collins yet.' which is pretty much the definition of casting doubt. Not that there is anything wrong with the statement, but it's a weird thing to comment about in a post about a Paul Johnson signature game. If I say I opened this thread expecting to see 2012 MTSU highlights, would you tell me to grow up?

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
Games that stick out to me:

08 UGA
08 FSU
09 Clemson (both regular season and ACC championship)
09 VT
09 FSU (wasnt a great FSU team, but they were fired up to play for Bobby that day)
11 Clemson
14 UGA
14 VT
15 FSU
16 UGA

TaxJacket

Jolly Good Fellow

Asking what you think Paul Johnson's signature game was means that the OP is casting doubt on the new staff? You must get that good good, I need your hook up hahah

LibertyTurns

Banned
Sorry #1 is 2008 mutt game. Then 2016 mutt game. #3 is 2014 Orange Bowl which eclipses FSU win.

Can’t hardly beat beating the mutt especially when it’s in dramatic fashion. After that it’s a colossal beatdown of a formerly #1 ranked SEC team. They were so pissed they couldn’t stop the damn run. FSU game was unexpected and dramatic. After that game my favorite was the Clemson kid meltdown game. Anyone remember the year?

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
OP said 'I don't know what to make of Coach Collins yet.' which is pretty much the definition of casting doubt. Not that there is anything wrong with the statement, but it's a weird thing to comment about in a post about a Paul Johnson signature game. If I say I opened this thread expecting to see 2012 MTSU highlights, would you tell me to grow up?
Perhaps you need to research the difference between “expressing uncertainty” and “casting doubt”.

Backstreetbuzz

Jolly Good Fellow

I agree with you. The CPJ years were pretty good, but really nothing to write home about. Let’s move on and hope the CGC years are.