Pat Narduzzi Joins the Block Haters Club

gtg147g

Georgia Tech Fan
I saw Johnson yelling at Benson coming off the field but didn't rewind to see what happened, then he was done for the day. I figured he must have done something pretty bad to get that treatment.

This is how most illegal chop blocks happen in any offense. RB in charge of picking up blitz blocks the wrong guy low while OL engaged high. It seems less common (again, in any offense) that an OL screws up his assignment to cause a chop.

I have to think CPJ was more upset at Benson for blocking the wrong guy than for almost getting called for a chop.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
It is called defensive holding on the center as the center is trying not to engage, is being held by the NT, and the OG cuts the NT. This happened a lot against KY, was not called, and I expect Pitt to try this this weekend.

Exactly. For a chop block to happen two players have to be engaged with the opposing player. In a slip block the OL player is not engaged, he skirts the DL as the DL comes down hill.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Here is the play:

Thanks for posting that. It looks like he actually could have gotten tagged for a false start there as well (gets a jump from his stance just before the snap) on top of the chop. I don't know if he would have been expected to get the rusher coming around the edge as it looked like he was supposed to carry out the fake, chip on a rusher if needed (which he wasn't on the guy he tried blocking), and then break to the flat as a check down option.
I did like the faces of the other guys on the sideline while he was getting ripped...there was a lot of "I'm glad that's not me" in those looks.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
The center is running past the NT, His hands/arms aren't on the NT; they are flying free as he tries to run by. Thus, he cannot be considered "engaged" with the NT, and there can be no chop block. If the NT prevents him from running away, that's holding.
Can't help but think of this:
family_guy_autopilot_engaged__2013-07-19.jpg

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
Well... I guess @GTpdm and I will have to wear our "cut blocking since 2008" shirts on Saturday. What a whiner!
Oh gosh no--I won't be wearing that shirt on Saturday. I wore it to the UT game, and clearly it has far too much bad ju-ju to ever be worn again. It is currently buried at the bottom of my GT drawer (sealed in a heavy-duty plastic bag to prevent contamination) until I can decide whether to burn it, bury it, or just use it to scoop out the kitty-litter box...maybe I'll do all three...

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Oh gosh no--I won't be wearing that shirt on Saturday. I wore it to the UT game, and clearly it has far too much bad ju-ju to ever be worn again. It is currently buried at the bottom of my GT drawer (sealed in a heavy-duty plastic bag to prevent contamination) until I can decide whether to burn it, bury it, or just use it to scoop out the kitty-litter box...maybe I'll do all three...
It's been my observation that that kind of bad juju can usually be washed out (as can good juju, which is why I don't wash my gameday jersey after a win). Just to be safe, I'd wash it alone so you don't accidentally contaminate other clothes in the wash.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
To date, I have only ever burned one GT shirt. I'm sure you guys will understand. It was my "Beat the Dwags" shirt. I accidentally got some red paint on it, making immediate corrective action necessary. I performed the needed exorcism first, then placed the shirt in my wood burning portable metal fire pit, added a little flammable liquid, and rid myself of the tarnished garment.

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
To date, I have only ever burned one GT shirt. I'm sure you guys will understand. It was my "Beat the Dwags" shirt. I accidentally got some red paint on it, making immediate corrective action necessary. I performed the needed exorcism first, then placed the shirt in my wood burning portable metal fire pit, added a little flammable liquid, and rid myself of the tarnished garment.
Red paint!?! Did you burn whatever you were painting too?

This is unfair. He is just showing us how the NT reaches to grab the center as he passes by. He cries because he knows he is about to eat dirt.
So you are saying the coach that is whining about our legal blocking technique is actually teaching his team to cheat by holding on to our linemen high who are trying to get to the second level, so they can be cut by a second blocker, to give the illusion of getting chopped? What a dirt bag! Is this a popular ploy against us?

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
So you are saying the coach that is whining about our legal blocking technique is actually teaching his team to cheat by holding on to our linemen high who are trying to get to the second level, so they can be cut by a second blocker, to give the illusion of getting chopped? What a dirt bag! Is this a popular ploy against us?
Yes, lots of teams try to do something similar. Basically they just say "don't let the OL get by you to the second level". How do you do that when the OL is purposefully trying to not block you but go by you? You grab on and hold. I am pretty sure we've complained to the league office about this before, which is probably why a lot of the alleged chop blocks we commit don't get called. Our opponents see that happen but don't realize that what their DL are doing is illegal and getting themselves in a bad situation, and then go on to complain that we are just getting away with chop blocks all day.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer

In this case I was just responding to the picture of the child but it is true that defense purposefully try to disrupt blocking assignments. it is always a positive when you can keep a player from achieving their assignment. If our lineman can't get to the linebacker then he is unblocked.