Pat Narduzzi Joins the Block Haters Club

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
This is classic opposing coach attempting to plant seed in the officials' minds.

We'll see how well it works. We've seen some sketchy chop block penalties in the past (and some reasonable but clearly accidental, and no more in number than the other team gets against us). Yes Ricky pushes off but it's usually because he's being interfered with first or both players are pushing/contesting equally and it's a wash. IMO he sees his team as a little outmanned and is trying to gain an advantage.

It's still a puss move though and hope we ram it down their throats.
Pat Narduzzi is a pr*ck:mad:

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
This is classic opposing coach attempting to plant seed in the officials' minds.

We'll see how well it works. We've seen some sketchy chop block penalties in the past (and some reasonable but clearly accidental, and no more in number than the other team gets against us). Yes Ricky pushes off but it's usually because he's being interfered with first or both players are pushing/contesting equally and it's a wash. IMO he sees his team as a little outmanned and is trying to gain an advantage.

It's still a puss move though and hope we ram it down their throats.

I hope they call a few offensive PIs and illegal blocks on Pitt as a result.

Adadu

Helluva Engineer
Pat's delusional. Any real football coach understands whats going on with the center/NT and why they get cut when they hold on to the center, and the refs know it too. The guys who say this are just too stubborn to tell their interior tackles "don't grab onto the center otherwise you're going to hurt yourself" It's always our fault.

GTdragons

Jolly Good Fellow
The center is trying to get to the 2nd level and the nose tackle is doing everything he can to prevent that which is defense holding which they never call and extremely dangerous for the nose tackle to do. I feel like this is where a lot of teams feel they get uncalled chop blocks, but it would always be offsetting with how many teams like to hold onto our centers.

Also I haven't had any respect for Narduzzi since the their games against VT last year. He complained that his DB's we're being pushed off against all night when in reality what was happening was they were holding onto receivers 10-15 yards downfield on every pass.

I'm not quite following how the defensive hold leads to something that looks like a chop block. Is it that the NT is holding the center (who is not trying to block him) and then a second offensive player comes in to block the NT while the hold is occurring?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I'm not quite following how the defensive hold leads to something that looks like a chop block. Is it that the NT is holding the center (who is not trying to block him) and then a second offensive player comes in to block the NT while the hold is occurring?

Bingo. C is trying to get to lbs. Dt grabs him and get blocked by the guard

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow

The center is running past the NT, His hands/arms aren't on the NT; they are flying free as he tries to run by. Thus, he cannot be considered "engaged" with the NT, and there can be no chop block. If the NT prevents him from running away, that's holding.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
The center is running past the NT, His hands/arms aren't on the NT; they are flying free as he tries to run by. Thus, he cannot be considered "engaged" with the NT, and there can be no chop block. If the NT prevents him from running away, that's holding.
I remember VT fans getting all up in arms about one of their DTs getting hurt (Luther Maddy maybe?) by a "chop block" when the video clearly showed that the C was trying to run past him to the LBs. He grabbed onto our C, got his body turned, and then the cut from the G got him right in the side of the knee/ankle. An absolutely correct no call...DT got himself hurt.

northgajacket

Banned
Pitt website just updated Narduzzi's bio page with a new pic:

upload_2017-9-21_12-55-30.jpeg

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
The pass oriented teams don't like it and would like to see all blocking below the waist outlawed. Duke has been lobbying against it for years going back to when Wake used that type of blocking before PJ even arrived.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
There was a chop block by Benson that didn't get called on his last play in the JSU game. I wasn't sure if CPJ was yelling at him about the possible penalty, or for misreading and missing another defender that went right beside him.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
There was a chop block by Benson that didn't get called on his last play in the JSU game. I wasn't sure if CPJ was yelling at him about the possible penalty, or for misreading and missing another defender that went right beside him.
I saw Johnson yelling at Benson coming off the field but didn't rewind to see what happened, then he was done for the day. I figured he must have done something pretty bad to get that treatment.