Pastner Staff Thread

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
At least we didn't go super cheap on asst.
Pastner's contract puts him in the bottom third of ACC coaches, but at least more competitive. He's in the same basic spot as Brownell, Larranaga, and Brey and ahead of Christian.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
In the ACC, there are a group of established coaches that deserve top dollar: K, Ol Roy, Boeheim, Pitino, Brey, Larranaga, Hamilton. Bennett is in that group now, too. The next tier is mid-career guys who have established a track record but are not elite: Buzz, Gottfried, Stallings. Then there are the young, unproven bunch: CJP, Brownell, Christian, Manning
CJP should be paid far less than Brey and Larranaga. He should be on par with the peer group (Brownell, Christian, Manning) CJP is still very young and has a shaky record so far, but lots of potential.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The only coach being paid less right now straight up is Christian.

Both Brownell and Manning are being paid slightly more. Larranaga and Brey are almost right on the number (both are basically being underpayed relative to their performance, unless they have gotten recent raises I missed which is totally possible).

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
The assistant coach’s salaries demonstrate a financial commitment to improving the coaching and teaching aspects of basketball. I know there were some that wanted to see Sharman White of Miller Grove hired but given these salaries, it would have been tough to justify given he doesn't have any college coaching experience.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The assistant coach’s salaries demonstrate a financial commitment to improving the coaching and teaching aspects of basketball. I know there were some that wanted to see Sharman White of Miller Grove hired but given these salaries, it would have been tough to justify given he doesn't have any college coaching experience.

Fwiw, I'm not sure that "he would have cost less" is an argument that will persuade them that White was not a good choice.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
If Brey and Larranaga are making about the same as Brownell and Manning, they are being seriously underpaid. Just sayin...

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
If Brey and Larranaga are making about the same as Brownell and Manning, they are being seriously underpaid. Just sayin...

Or the opposite.

Keep in mind that with private schools the numbers usually lag by two years, when the tax returns become available, since they aren't required to disclose them.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/201...xplains-process-behind-techs-assistant-hires/

Pastner and Bobinski envisioned three different slots – a coach with Atlanta and Georgia recruiting connections, another with a national recruiting background and a third with head-coaching experience.

“That was our plan going in and we talked it through multiple times, literally multiple times,” Bobinski said. “Do we want to change it? Do we want two Atlanta guys? Do we want two Georgia guys? So we talked about adjusting it, but at the end of the day, we ultimately said, ‘You know what? This feels like the right move to make’ and we were able to get really good guys to check all those boxes.”

Bobinski said they cast a wide net for candidates and brought “a bunch” of them to Tech for interviews. Two were former Tulane coach Ed Conroy and Miller Grove High coach Sharman White, the latter of whom has since been hired at Georgia State, filling a vacancy left open by LaBarrie.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Just to kind of tie-off one of the loose ends from the staff discussion. Seems Huff has landed.

You know ... for all the hype behind Huff you'd think he would've been able to garner better spots than AlcSt and GASou.

I don't really mean anything negative behind that. Just thinking out loud a bit.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Just to kind of tie-off one of the loose ends from the staff discussion. Seems Huff has landed.

You know ... for all the hype behind Huff you'd think he would've been able to garner better spots than AlcSt and GASou.

I don't really mean anything negative behind that. Just thinking out loud a bit.

Was just about to post Ken S's tweet about it.

I think you can apply the same thing with Sharman White. Sometimes we view candidates within the spectrum of what happens locally, as opposed to coaches who have to deal with recruiting nationally and actually coaching/teaching players individually.

I do think Sharman White's move to GA State is a good one for him. Establish himself on the college level and move up. If he's as good as we think he is, it won't be long till we hear his name at a P5 school.

ASURAMS07

Jolly Good Fellow
There are a few other positions added that we haven't had before....not that I can remember. This list is a lot longer than in the PAST....

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-05-24-15-02-37.png
    Screenshot_2016-05-24-15-02-37.png
    208.5 KB · Views: 52