Pastner Staff Thread

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
And don't forget we have Marvin working finance in the ADs office.

Good ambassadors all around. Marvin never got the love he deserved IMHO. He was straight up cash his senior year it seemed.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Ran across this article. A few different insights from Pastner.

http://us6.campaign-archive2.com/?u=2cf324200cd8a891c384a4e81&id=e011846d77

Articles like this make me wonder about those that were harsh about him after the hiring. He was a 31 y/o first time coach following a legend. He made mistakes and can admit them, especially with respect to his staff. A GT basketball fan has to be impressed with the staff he has put together for his inaugural season. I cannot remember that last time we were actively talking about this many top recruits that have offers, 3 years out.

I don't know how things will turn out here for CJP however I believe in 2-3 years, we will be in a much better place as a basketball program.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Articles like this make me wonder about those that were harsh about him after the hiring. He was a 31 y/o first time coach following a legend. He made mistakes and can admit them, especially with respect to his staff. A GT basketball fan has to be impressed with the staff he has put together for his inaugural season. I cannot remember that last time we were actively talking about this many top recruits that have offers, 3 years out.

I don't know how things will turn out here for CJP however I believe in 2-3 years, we will be in a much better place as a basketball program.

For me it was pretty simple. I watched his teams play. He hardly ever beat top 25s and the program got worse the longer it went on. Once again we just hired a coach another school really wanted to fire.

But......we have offered some good players scholarships so..it's all good.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I'm keeping an open mind about Pastner. I really like the staff he's put together, and how hard he's hitting the recruiting trail. Lots to like so far.

At the end of the day, it's about W's, so that will be the ultimate judge of this hire. The ACC is not the CAA or whatever mid major league. Good coaches have wilted in this league time after time. How will Pastner stack up? TBD...but right now, he's busting his tail to make our program better, and he's getting an audience with recruits our last coach couldn't even get. He gets GT.

I think he's easy to pull for...you may have to remind me of this post when we become the meat in the grinder next season, but I'm at least positive about the direction of our program. Something I haven't been since Jarrett Jack and Co. left the program.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I'm keeping an open mind about Pastner. I really like the staff he's put together, and how hard he's hitting the recruiting trail. Lots to like so far.

At the end of the day, it's about W's, so that will be the ultimate judge of this hire. The ACC is not the CAA or whatever mid major league. Good coaches have wilted in this league time after time. How will Pastner stack up? TBD...but right now, he's busting his tail to make our program better, and he's getting an audience with recruits our last coach couldn't even get. He gets GT.

I think he's easy to pull for...you may have to remind me of this post when we become the meat in the grinder next season, but I'm at least positive about the direction of our program. Something I haven't been since Jarrett Jack and Co. left the program.

This is where I'm at right now as well. My previous post was in response to someone asking "why?" Some people didn't like the hire.

It's all well and good, but our last coach tried real hard too. Like you said, in the end, it's all about the Ws.

We all also need to remember we can't hold 16-17 against Pastner. It's going to be a rough one.

You guys are going to be pleasantly surprised with how the 17 recruiting class is going to turn out. 18 and 19 are going to remind us of the golden days. The faculties are there, the pro connection is there, meeting pro players is common, education for those desiring a top notch one. Pastner is going to bring this program back to title contention.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
You guys are going to be pleasantly surprised with how the 17 recruiting class is going to turn out. 18 and 19 are going to remind us of the golden days. The faculties are there, the pro connection is there, meeting pro players is common, education for those desiring a top notch one. Pastner is going to bring this program back to title contention.
I'm having whatever you are drinking.
:)

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Gotta beleeve in somethin', Peac.

I believe in giving Josh a shot. I never gave Gregory a shot because I don't think he was ever put in a position to succeed and wasn't up to task. JPs youth, initiative and skill on the recruiting trail at least have me thinking he CAN succeed. Whether or not I think he will I beleive will ultimately depend on keeping quality assistants around him. Hardy seems to be well respected from what I've read. You can predict a D1 offer coming his way in the coming years given his stops and playing career.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I believe in giving Josh a shot. I never gave Gregory a shot because I don't think he was ever put in a position to succeed and wasn't up to task. JPs youth, initiative and skill on the recruiting trail at least have me thinking he CAN succeed. Whether or not I think he will I beleive will ultimately depend on keeping quality assistants around him. Hardy seems to be well respected from what I've read. You can predict a D1 offer coming his way in the coming years given his stops and playing career.

Pretty much agree. I have sort of a 'well, he's here now' attitude so he's getting my full support. Despite some comments I may have made about him in the past, but I digress. :whistle:

Also, wanted to see how many different ways one person can spell 'belieev'.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I was skeptical of Gregory hire and adopted patient optimism to play nice with others. I was skeptical of Pastner hire and can only manage patient agnosticism at this point.

I do think that any idea that a change in coach will make all 4* and 5* guys capable of /open to Tech is obviously crazy. Some guys who get interest maybe even reported offers may be pulled back from once transcripts become clear. That's why guys like Carter should get full court press.