1. Welcome to Georgia Tech Swarm! JOIN US and be a part of the SWARM! GO JACKETS! THWg!

Pastner Staff Thread

Discussion in 'Georgia Tech Basketball' started by shakim3, Apr 8, 2016.

1. RamblinRed

RamblinRed Helluva Engineer Featured Member

At least we didn't go super cheap on asst.
    Pastner's contract puts him in the bottom third of ACC coaches, but at least more competitive. He's in the same basic spot as Brownell, Larranaga, and Brey and ahead of Christian.

2. mstranahan

mstranahan Helluva Engineer

In the ACC, there are a group of established coaches that deserve top dollar: K, Ol Roy, Boeheim, Pitino, Brey, Larranaga, Hamilton. Bennett is in that group now, too. The next tier is mid-career guys who have established a track record but are not elite: Buzz, Gottfried, Stallings. Then there are the young, unproven bunch: CJP, Brownell, Christian, Manning
    CJP should be paid far less than Brey and Larranaga. He should be on par with the peer group (Brownell, Christian, Manning) CJP is still very young and has a shaky record so far, but lots of potential.

3. RamblinRed

RamblinRed Helluva Engineer Featured Member

The only coach being paid less right now straight up is Christian.

Both Brownell and Manning are being paid slightly more. Larranaga and Brey are almost right on the number (both are basically being underpayed relative to their performance, unless they have gotten recent raises I missed which is totally possible).

4. GTHomer

GTHomer Helluva Engineer

The assistant coach’s salaries demonstrate a financial commitment to improving the coaching and teaching aspects of basketball. I know there were some that wanted to see Sharman White of Miller Grove hired but given these salaries, it would have been tough to justify given he doesn't have any college coaching experience.

5. Peacone36

Peacone36 ACCBasketballReport.com Contributing Writer

I am one of those people.

6. AE 87

AE 87 Helluva Engineer

Fwiw, I'm not sure that "he would have cost less" is an argument that will persuade them that White was not a good choice.

Peacone36 likes this.
  7. mstranahan

mstranahan Helluva Engineer

If Brey and Larranaga are making about the same as Brownell and Manning, they are being seriously underpaid. Just sayin...

8. ESPNjacket

ESPNjacket Helluva Engineer

Or the opposite.

Keep in mind that with private schools the numbers usually lag by two years, when the tax returns become available, since they aren't required to disclose them.

9. JacketFromUGA

JacketFromUGA Helluva Engineer

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/201...xplains-process-behind-techs-assistant-hires/

10. kg01

kg01 Get-Bak! Coach Featured Member

Just to kind of tie-off one of the loose ends from the staff discussion. Seems Huff has landed.

You know ... for all the hype behind Huff you'd think he would've been able to garner better spots than AlcSt and GASou.

I don't really mean anything negative behind that. Just thinking out loud a bit.

11. Techster

Techster Helluva Engineer

Was just about to post Ken S's tweet about it.

I think you can apply the same thing with Sharman White. Sometimes we view candidates within the spectrum of what happens locally, as opposed to coaches who have to deal with recruiting nationally and actually coaching/teaching players individually.

I do think Sharman White's move to GA State is a good one for him. Establish himself on the college level and move up. If he's as good as we think he is, it won't be long till we hear his name at a P5 school.

Jacketman1, GTHomer and kg01 like this.
  12. dtm1997

dtm1997 Helluva Engineer Featured Member

Fantastic news to finish off the staff.

13. DaBiz

DaBiz Ramblin' Wreck

Home. Run.

Love that Mario is back at GT. He's a great ambassador and will be tremendous. Awesome guy and hard worker.

14. Techster

Techster Helluva Engineer

Ultimate "If I can do it, you can do it, too!" guy. From walk on, to scholarship player, to undrafted free agent, to 4+year NBA veteran. Pretty awesome story for SAs to learn from.

15. ramblinjacket

ramblinjacket Helluva Engineer

16. gameface

gameface Jolly Good Fellow

Love the shot of Stallings just standing there with his arms folded and looking at the floor.

17. kg01

kg01 Get-Bak! Coach Featured Member

:ROFLMAO: That's his go-to move, no? #GoodLuckWithThatPitt

18. ASURAMS07

ASURAMS07 Ramblin' Wreck

There are a few other positions added that we haven't had before....not that I can remember. This list is a lot longer than in the PAST....

Attached Files:

19. ASURAMS07

ASURAMS07 Ramblin' Wreck

Who's Dan Taylor?

20. DaBiz

DaBiz Ramblin' Wreck

New Strength Coach...replacing Bewley