Pastner Staff Thread

Techster

Helluva Engineer
My question in regards to White is, if CJP interviewed him at Memphis and knew this, why did he interview him again?

Oakland Raiders are notorious for interviewing coaches they have no intentions of hiring. They like to pick the brains of coaches who could offer valuable information of rival organizations.

Maybe it's just a case of picking White's brain for who Pastner needs to know on the local scene, up and coming talent, etc.

Wonder if he was offered an Ops position with the promise to be promoted at a later date. I believe Huff was offered that?

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I still think CP may have seen it as a really close call and seriously considered hiring White. The interview here may not have been pro forma.

The past incident could be a big part, however, of making it a close call and DLab got the edge from having already been an assistant coach, as well as student-athlete at Tech.

DaBiz

Georgia Tech Fan
Something to chew on:

Auburn needed an assistant, and from the eventual hire, probably one with contacts to the Atlanta recruiting scene. You would have thought White would have been on speed dial. Instead, they hired ex GT assistant Dollar, who from reports, kinda mailed it in here towards the end. White would have been a FAR better hire...at least according to some on this board. In fact, some were calling for CBG to get rid of Dollar for White.

Back to White. From reports, Pastner has spoken to White twice. Neither time was he offered the job. White has one of the best HS coaching resumes in the nation the last 8 years, and he's a pretty well known quantity on the hoops scene. Great coach, and seemingly well connected with AAU types and players. Yet somehow none of the high majors that recruit Atlanta (think ACC and SEC schools) have ever made the move to hire him. This would have been similar to Grayson legend Micky Conn going to Clemson. Reports are now that White is headed to GA State. To me, that tells me White is valued more by message board fans than college coaches who know what's going on behind the scenes. Doesn't mean White won't be a fantastic hire and coach, just saying when things are being said, just look at all the evidence that points to the contrary.

He's been offered D1 asst jobs and D2 head jobs; Clark ATL just offered him the head spot too in April...Pastner offered him the spot at Memphis a few years ago and White turned it down.

The key with him is he wanted to move when the time was right for him and his family...he also really wanted to stay in ATL on the move to college; the time he felt was right...glad he got a spot at GSU, he will do well.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He's been offered D1 asst jobs and D2 head jobs; Clark ATL just offered him the head spot too in April...Pastner offered him the spot at Memphis a few years ago and White turned it down.

The key with him is he wanted to move when the time was right for him and his family...he also really wanted to stay in ATL on the move to college; the time he felt was right...glad he got a spot at GSU, he will do well.

I have no clue...you're more plugged into the scene than I am.

I just see someone who's resume is as good as it gets on the HS level, wants to be a college coach...but 8 yrs later he's publicly campaigning for a job that he doesn't get. Ends up at a mid major. That says more to me. Schools like Clark Atlanta, even Memphis with different standards (no way a Keelon Lawson gets away with that crap at a P5 school), can take chances on someone like White. Just seems something is "off"...JMO.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I have no clue...you're more plugged into the scene than I am.

I just see someone who's resume is as good as it gets on the HS level, wants to be a college coach...but 8 yrs later he's publicly campaigning for a job that he doesn't get. Ends up at a mid major. That says more to me. Schools like Clark Atlanta, even Memphis with different standards (no way a Keelon Lawson gets away with that crap at a P5 school), can take chances on someone like White. Just seems something is "off"...JMO.

You made a very good point. A very good point.

It was countered with a claim that he turned down jobs to stay in Atl. Saying that he campaigned for a job in the Atl and ends up in a job in the Atl doesn't counter that claim.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You made a very good point. A very good point.

It was countered with a claim that he turned down jobs to stay in Atl. Saying that he campaigned for a job in the Atl and ends up in a job in the Atl doesn't counter that claim.

Wasn't countering anything. Just was expressing my opinion. Hence the "JMO"

But thanks for your input as always.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Schrage ends up at Butler. I think we broke even on his spot, given the Hardy hire.