Pastner Staff Thread

LibertyTurns

Banned
I was hoping we would get Mike Schrage, but Hardy should fill a similar role very well.
Is considered a top recruiter and good with the players. Northwestern grad and had 7 years as an asst, including 2 as Associate HC there. Recruited Paul White and LJ Peak for G'town and was responsible for most of NU's better players.

http://www.guhoyas.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/tavaras_hardy_848329.html

Overall i'd grade the hires like this.

LaBarrie - C-, don't like this hire much. Would have much preferred White and someone less affiliated with Celtics program as we need to be broader than that locally. (all of Pastner's Atlanta recruits at Memphis were Celtic kids). I think White would have brought much more into the program from USA Basketball.
Reveno - B-, Lutz would have been a superior candidate in every way except in big man coaching. Coaching at Stanford is a plus though.
Hardy - B+, good hire, gives us roads into Chicago and the Mid-Atlantic. Alot of experience with the Princeton style offense - wonder if we see alot of back cuts in our half court offense.
OK, I'm whipping up a batch of gold koolaid! Now it's time to bag some recruits.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Couple of thoughts on the staff.

I see this as a real solid staff. I am sure Pastner hired guys he felt he could work with and could work with each other.
Chemistry. This staff covers all the areas we have discussed here, just the names are different.

Reveno needs to get here in a hurry. Three big guys already in the gym that need a lot of work.
And, will Reveno's rep as a coach of big men wrap up Romello White or are there really other issues? Anyone in the know?

I have really enjoyed this thread. Good job guys!

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
I was wondering what CPJ's approach to the 2 bigs who redshirted would be. Could easily have been time to move on while I get someone else in here. I wonder if the hiring of Reveno was part of a commitment to them? Not sure I would hire a coach based on 2 redshirts but but I might keep the 2 redshirts based on a belief the coach I did hire could help them work out for the team.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
If Melo leaves, AD could potentially play quite a few meaningful minutes in the upcoming season unless we land some grad transfers.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
May 5, 2016
THE FLATS –
Italian wing Francesca Pan, ranked as the No. 3 international recruit by Prospects Nation, has signed a National Letter of Intent to play at Georgia Tech, head coach MaChelle Joseph announced.
Pan, a five-star wing, joins early signees Zutorya Cook (5-7 guard – Marietta, Ga.) and Anne Francoise Diouf (6-4 post – Dakar, Senegal). Georgia Tech’s 2016 signing class is ranked No. 15 in the country by Prospects Nation.

Ok Coach Pastner, who is going to recruit Europe?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I was wondering what CPJ's approach to the 2 bigs who redshirted would be. Could easily have been time to move on while I get someone else in here. I wonder if the hiring of Reveno was part of a commitment to them? Not sure I would hire a coach based on 2 redshirts but but I might keep the 2 redshirts based on a belief the coach I did hire could help them work out for the team.

More than likely not. Reveno is just a very good big guy coach, which every school needs. You don't hire a coach for two guys already on the roster who are not high profile players...even if they were high profile players. Can't let the tail wag the dog...coaches are meant to be long term while players come and go. Plus the fact that he's coached and recruited at a high academic school which is nothing but good if you're working at GT.

I really like this hire. Rate it higher than some have on here.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

I'm pretty sure Paul won't even be asked about what his approach would be.

Eeeeeyyyoooo!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
On the Atlanta Celtics connection, @CuseJacket (IIRC) mentioned he'd heard a guy state that CPast should avoid too narrow an AAU connection or he'd risk alienating the other strong programs in-state.

Hope that doesn't happen. That's one of the things I hate about AAU. Too many guys looking out for their own agendas rather than doing what's right for their kids.

Speaking of the Atlanta Celtics, didn't GT used to have an "in" with that team? Are they even still considered one of the better AAU programs anymore? I remember when they were LOADED every year...I mean they had the best in state talent plus kids use to come from out of state just to play with them. They had Dwight Howard with Randolph Morris, plus Josh Smith on year plus a bunch of other guys I can't remember now. Derrick Favors also came from there.

Saw that Wendell Carter is playing for Team CP3...that would never have happened during the Celtics peak years. AAU basketball is such a funny thing.

ChasonBaller

on Pastner Polo watch
On the Atlanta Celtics connection, @CuseJacket (IIRC) mentioned he'd heard a guy state that CPast should avoid too narrow an AAU connection or he'd risk alienating the other strong programs in-state.

Hope that doesn't happen. That's one of the things I hate about AAU. Too many guys looking out for their own agendas rather than doing what's right for their kids.
thats all AAU is

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I was hoping we would get Mike Schrage, but Hardy should fill a similar role very well.
Is considered a top recruiter and good with the players. Northwestern grad and had 7 years as an asst, including 2 as Associate HC there. Recruited Paul White and LJ Peak for G'town and was responsible for most of NU's better players.

http://www.guhoyas.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/tavaras_hardy_848329.html

Overall i'd grade the hires like this.

LaBarrie - C-, don't like this hire much. Would have much preferred White and someone less affiliated with Celtics program as we need to be broader than that locally. (all of Pastner's Atlanta recruits at Memphis were Celtic kids). I think White would have brought much more into the program from USA Basketball.
Reveno - B-, Lutz would have been a superior candidate in every way except in big man coaching. Coaching at Stanford is a plus though.
Hardy - B+, good hire, gives us roads into Chicago and the Mid-Atlantic. Alot of experience with the Princeton style offense - wonder if we see alot of back cuts in our half court offense.
I think LaBarrie is a bridge hire. He gives Pastner a guy on the staff who can relate to recruits from first hand experience about the culture at Tech and how they can thrive with the help Tech gives them in the classroom and on the court. Expect to see him eventually transition into a different role and a big time local recruiter brought in later.