Pastner Staff Thread

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
If we considered both him and Labarrie and determined Labarrie to be the better choice, I can't be too mad about that. Nice to be in the position actually picking and choosing for once, instead of just setting for whoever didn't turn us down. I am not in a position to really know whether White or Labarrie were the better choice, but am confident that CJP and MBob are in a better position than me to determine that. Would be nice to get him in a support position though, if possible.

As we can see in the announcement above, Labarrie brings knowledge of what it means to be a student athlete at Tech. To me, that is a key filter in determining which student athletes to recruit. To me, it is more that simply looking at the GPA and standardized test scores. This isn't to say that White would not be successful in this area however it would require an onboarding process that CPast may not have enough time for.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Why I like these hires:

DL - knows what it takes at GT, very well respected in ATL Hoops scene, Good recruiter, Very hard worker, Underrated X's and O's (he actually drew up most of State's sets)
ER - Head coach experience, X's and O's guy, worked at Stanford (can recruit to our academics, Very well respected big-man coach, will take a lot of admin duties off CJP so he can do what he does very well which is recruit

I think everyone agreed we wanted a former head coach - check, a guy with ATL ties - check, so now lets see where we go with spot 3 and Director roles. I like what I'm hearing.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Why I like these hires:

DL - knows what it takes at GT, very well respected in ATL Hoops scene, Good recruiter, Very hard worker, Underrated X's and O's (he actually drew up most of State's sets)
ER - Head coach experience, X's and O's guy, worked at Stanford (can recruit to our academics, Very well respected big-man coach, will take a lot of admin duties off CJP so he can do what he does very well which is recruit

I think everyone agreed we wanted a former head coach - check, a guy with ATL ties - check, so now lets see where we go with spot 3 and Director roles. I like what I'm hearing.
I agree. Both of these guys understand that GT is not the place for everyone, and they need to match that fact with the dreams of 17-18 year old athletes. There is no need to recruit kids hard who simply do not fit.

scrappy_95

Georgia Tech Fan
This is not shade per say but as someone who works at Redan High School I can say White recruits Dekalb very well. He's ability to fend off the private schools is very impressive. They have a good system and they coach it before they become varsity. Redan is just starting to do this with their new coach.
He aligned well with the AAU circuit too.
Redan Class of '94 Baby....yeah I am old.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I love it.

Pastner is used to recruiting midwest and Southwest

Hardy is used to recruiting midwest and northeast

Reveno is used to recruiting the west

LaBerrie is used to recruiting Southeast

A truly national bench. Well done, Pastner.

Also, The Reveno coaches bigs and LaBarrie focuses on guards. I must say I'm pleased with the staff especially if they can rope in Huff in a support role.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I really like the hires. People are getting upset bc we didn't hire s high school coach yet we landed guys that have coached at top level programs like our own GT, Stanford, and Georgetown. Landed 2 guys known for recruiting and 1 known for strategy and development. I think we can get a guy like Huff or White for director role and we'll all be happy

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was hoping we would get Mike Schrage, but Hardy should fill a similar role very well.
Is considered a top recruiter and good with the players. Northwestern grad and had 7 years as an asst, including 2 as Associate HC there. Recruited Paul White and LJ Peak for G'town and was responsible for most of NU's better players.

http://www.guhoyas.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/tavaras_hardy_848329.html

Overall i'd grade the hires like this.

LaBarrie - C-, don't like this hire much. Would have much preferred White and someone less affiliated with Celtics program as we need to be broader than that locally. (all of Pastner's Atlanta recruits at Memphis were Celtic kids). I think White would have brought much more into the program from USA Basketball.
Reveno - B-, Lutz would have been a superior candidate in every way except in big man coaching. Coaching at Stanford is a plus though.
Hardy - B+, good hire, gives us roads into Chicago and the Mid-Atlantic. Alot of experience with the Princeton style offense - wonder if we see alot of back cuts in our half court offense.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
On the Atlanta Celtics connection, @CuseJacket (IIRC) mentioned he'd heard a guy state that CPast should avoid too narrow an AAU connection or he'd risk alienating the other strong programs in-state.

Hope that doesn't happen. That's one of the things I hate about AAU. Too many guys looking out for their own agendas rather than doing what's right for their kids.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I was hoping we would get Mike Schrage, but Hardy should fill a similar role very well.
Is considered a top recruiter and good with the players. Northwestern grad and had 7 years as an asst, including 2 as Associate HC there. Recruited Paul White and LJ Peak for G'town and was responsible for most of NU's better players.

http://www.guhoyas.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/tavaras_hardy_848329.html

Overall i'd grade the hires like this.

LaBarrie - C-, don't like this hire much. Would have much preferred White and someone less affiliated with Celtics program as we need to be broader than that locally. (all of Pastner's Atlanta recruits at Memphis were Celtic kids). I think White would have brought much more into the program from USA Basketball.
Reveno - B-, Lutz would have been a superior candidate in every way except in big man coaching. Coaching at Stanford is a plus though.
Hardy - B+, good hire, gives us roads into Chicago and the Mid-Atlantic. Alot of experience with the Princeton style offense - wonder if we see alot of back cuts in our half court offense.

It's always good when someone who knows something says what idiot me was thinking.

I would probably grade them a little higher, but was still thinking in these categories.
White LaBarrie
Schrage Hardy
Lutz Revemo

On each line, I would have chosen the first name, but see reasons for the second. It's a solid staff, so no real complaints.

Now, on to complaining about not getting 16 class in order faster.