Pastner Staff Thread

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
As a teacher he can be hired and announced his starting date will just be at the end of the month.

I don't know how things work exactly, but if he officially accepts the position then couldn't it cause some issues with the NCAA any contact he has with recruits at his school? If he says he's reached an agreement, then doesn't that mean he still represents the school?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Something I find interesting/concerning about White: Dude is obviously more than qualified to take a coaching seat on the college level, his success on the prep level is just about unmatched during his time at Miller Grove, and he's got t he background and goods to be the "well connected assistant coach for HS players" thing going...and it's been the case for a while now.

The question is: Why is he still even available? You would think an ACC or SEC program would have been all over him given his connection and ability to recruit high level talent. This guy is close to a no brainer to add to any staff at programs with more resources than GT. Yet here he is...openly campaigning to get on GT's staff?

I have no knowledge of the HS hoop scene or coaches on that level. Just a question that begs to be asked given White's incredible track record.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
I don't know how things work exactly, but if he officially accepts the position then couldn't it cause some issues with the NCAA any contact he has with recruits at his school? If he says he's reached an agreement, then doesn't that mean he still represents the school?
He wouldn't be an official Tech employee until his starting date which would be dictated in his contract.

This means he wouldn't be doing any work for Tech until he started anyway.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Something I find interesting/concerning about White: Dude is obviously more than qualified to take a coaching seat on the college level, his success on the prep level is just about unmatched during his time at Miller Grove, and he's got t he background and goods to be the "well connected assistant coach for HS players" thing going...and it's been the case for a while now.

The question is: Why is he still even available? You would think an ACC or SEC program would have been all over him given his connection and ability to recruit high level talent. This guy is close to a no brainer to add to any staff at programs with more resources than GT. Yet here he is...openly campaigning to get on GT's staff?

I have no knowledge of the HS hoop scene or coaches on that level. Just a question that begs to be asked given White's incredible track record.

He's probably waiting for the program that he is a fan of, right up the road from where he lives, that has struggled mightily on the recruiting trail for years to dig their ****ing heads out of their *** and call him.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He's probably waiting for the program that he is a fan of, right up the road from where he lives, that has struggled mightily on the recruiting trail for years to dig their ****ing heads out of their *** and call him.

Given CBG's struggle to bring in talent, you'd have thought he would have made this move YEARS ago. No brainer to me.

Mark Fox as well.

If Pastner doesn't bring in White, you definitely have to ask some questions.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
He wouldn't be an official Tech employee until his starting date which would be dictated in his contract.

This means he wouldn't be doing any work for Tech until he started anyway.

Seems like a very shady way to get around contact issues though. Think about it. Fire an assistant in February and hire the head coach at a school with a couple top flight recruits, but have him announce he won't start working untill the end of the school year. Everyone knows he's going to be an assistant but he gets around all the rules and regulations about contacting recruits. That seems shady to me. Either wait until the year is over, or have him step away to avoid that type of conflict.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Sounding like it may be-

Conroy
Schrage
LaBarrie or Sharman

Possibly Jon Michael Nickerson for Player Dev

I'll be pretty disappointed if neither Huff or Sharman get a spot...not sounding like Huff will...Sharman is still a toss up

Labarrie, Conroy, Schrage are solid picks and hit Atl, Tactician, Scouting bullets respectively, all with solid experience.

I would've liked to see Sharman, but so it goes.

DaBiz

Georgia Tech Fan
Labarrie, Conroy, Schrage are solid picks and hit Atl, Tactician, Scouting bullets respectively, all with solid experience.

Right, its solid overall...very happy if we get Schrage, he was one from the beginning I really liked; I think he will do well.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You know, I am not so sure what role Laberrie was hired to fill. He is a Tech grad and lettered three years. Was he hired because he is a former Tech man, or because he knows the Atlanta basketball scene, or because he knows his Xs & Os? Nothing about this hire tells me which it is (forgive me stepping on the toes of the Swarm posters who assigned him a role, but I do not think it's all that clear). Could it be that we get two guys with Atlanta roots? What about guys who can help develop talent?

I like having a GT guy on board, so let's see what shakes in the next announcement.

Ramblinwreck07

Jolly Good Fellow
Got no qualms with the LaBarrie hire. I think he can sell Tech, but will not be an asset to the X's and O's, as I've never been impressed with Hunter.

But No Cabral and no White is a massive failure by Pastner. We can skirt it if we want, and put lipstick on the pig. But college hoops success is all geared towards bringing in players. Huff and White are the 2 main names in GA HS basketball, both obviously well connected with local HS programs and AAU programs.

You don't think a high school coach would be comfortable sending his kids to play for White at Tech? Someone he has competed against, talked shop with, exchanged film and scouting reports with, and had come to respect for what he's accomplished. You don't think an AAU coach would want his kids to go play for White? C'mon. If we don't offer either, it is a bona fide mistake.

I was not happy with the Pastner hire. But talks of bringing in guys like Huff and White to lock up Atlanta and recruit top tier talent hade me hopeful. What a slap in the face to GA HS basketball. Winning multiple state titles and building the elite program in GA, and being respected enough to work with USA basketball isn't enough to be on staff? I've heard him at clinics. I've watched his team play. This is a a huge blunder no matter how you want to spin it. Nice job CPast.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer

Labarrie is the only one confirmed.

RE Schrage - from the Stanford bio -
"Mike Schrage completed his eighth season, serving as the program's James C. Gaither Assistant Coach of Men's Basketball in 2015-16.
Schrage is responsible for coaching and scouting, in addition to serving as the team's recruiting coordinator. The Cardinal has continued to make significant strides off the court, with its recent recruiting classes ranking among the top-30 in the country."

Unless he is coming in as the #2 guy, this looks like a move across country for the same job.

Could it be Schrage, Labarrie and White? My problem is that I do not understand why not White. Can I get some help here?

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
Labarrie is the only one confirmed.

RE Schrage - from the Stanford bio -
"Mike Schrage completed his eighth season, serving as the program's James C. Gaither Assistant Coach of Men's Basketball in 2015-16.
Schrage is responsible for coaching and scouting, in addition to serving as the team's recruiting coordinator. The Cardinal has continued to make significant strides off the court, with its recent recruiting classes ranking among the top-30 in the country."

Unless he is coming in as the #2 guy, this looks like a move across country for the same job.

Could it be Schrage, Labarrie and White? My problem is that I do not understand why not White. Can I get some help here?
no experience at this level could be the reason for not hiring White. I'm not saying I agree but I can say I see the reasoning

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
As regards White - does he have to, at this point, consider anything to do with pension/retirement benefits from State of Georgia before he could make a move like this?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I get that White has upside but why are people acting like there's no way we could get a good staff that doesn't include him?