Pastner Staff Thread

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So... Are we just going to stay a one man staff?

Per the most recent AJC article, it mentioned the plan was to focus on that this coming week following the live period's 2nd weekend.

Kelly Quinlan also tweeted a paywall thread about assistants with a picture of Bruiser Flint attached, so possible he's a candidate for the "Xs & Os former head coach" assistant.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Would Flint be content as an assistant after 20 years as the head man. Believe he as an assistant at UMass under Calipari so there is that connection
between Pastner and Flint. Calipari would recommend for sure.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
What gets lost in all that is Pastner is grinder. From what we've seen so far, the guy doesn't stop eating and breathing basketball for GT. LOVE it.

Gotta say this, at least he's self-deprecating about it and can roll with the punches. Lord knows he could have made an overblown situation worse, but he's willing to laugh with everyone else.

gtfan088

Georgia Tech Fan
Wow. From nobody to a staff in the next two days?

I suppose he could have some guys who have basically indicated interest behind the scenes but is trying to get the right mix of guys before making things official? Just speculating, of course.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It may or may not be White as the "assistant coach with inside track to talent" guy, but if he was named we wouldn't be surprised anymore:

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/sharman-white-a-candidate-to-join-josh-pastner-on-/nrC5F/

Miller Grove High coach Sharman White is a candidate for a position on new Georgia Tech coach Josh Pastner’s staff. White, who this week was named theNational High School Coaches Association boys basketball coach of the year, said he has spoken in depth with Pastner about a possible job and is definitely interested.

“The more I think about it, the more I think I would revel at the opportunity to help Georgia Tech,” White said.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Hmmm, you have a chance to get a guy on your staff who's a proven winner and who will be developing a coaching relationship with the best high school basketball players in the country on the U-17 team?

C'mon Josh, git 'er done.
He was an assistant on the 2015 U16 USA team last year.

I would sleep soundly if Pastner introduces Flint and White. You guys can pick the others.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
I liked Darryl as a player but don't know much about his time as a coach. Would this be a good move?

IMHO it'd be a good move considering the timing (really late in the coach-hiring cycle and such). It'd be an even better move depending on who the seasoned hire will be. IOW, I hope he'd not be coming over to be 2nd in command (so to speak).

I perused the GASt board a bit and they seem to be very happy with the job he's done there. It sounds like he's been key in the little recruiting resurgence they've had locally lately. Their insider(sic) claims to have spoken with Hunter re. the possibility that Labarrie would be a candidate to come back here. Said Hunter dismissed the possibility citing Labarrie's ties to PHew. I can't imagine anyone on our side cares about that.

http://georgiastate.247sports.com/B...oses-assistant-mens-basketball-coach-44998946

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
IMHO it'd be a good move considering the timing (really late in the coach-hiring cycle and such). It'd be an even better move depending on who the seasoned hire will be. IOW, I hope he'd not be coming over to be 2nd in command (so to speak).

I perused the GASt board a bit and they seem to be very happy with the job he's done there. It sounds like he's been key in the little recruiting resurgence they've had locally lately. Their insider(sic) claims to have spoken with Hunter re. the possibility that Labarrie would be a candidate to come back here. Said Hunter dismissed the possibility citing Labarrie's ties to PHew. I can't imagine anyone on our side cares about that.

http://georgiastate.247sports.com/B...oses-assistant-mens-basketball-coach-44998946

Interesting. I agree with you. I haven't encountered any such "hate for all things PH" or whatever. The majority reaction to Hewitt I've encountered was simply the time for a change, followed by some who have a personal gripe against how he personally handled his last years at GT. Again, I haven't heard anything that would translate to his staff.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
On the football side many people look at, for example, Ted Roof's experience being a student-athlete at Tech as a really valuable quality for his coaching here. Wouldn't the same be true for a LaBarrie as coach in basketball? And with less players to deal with maybe it could even be more valuable on the basketball side to have someone who gets the unique situation of student-athletes at Tech.

Btw, this isn't to suggest the reasonableness of hiring Neal or Price as head coach, I am just thinking that having someone on the bench who has been through it could really help the HC as well as players adjust to Tech.