Pastner Staff Thread

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
is he being mentored on his coaching hires by mbob?

Yup, that's why assistant names pop up with a lot of smoke followed by no one being hired and radio silence.

I'm waiting for the Sharman to Vandy news to be reported by "sources"

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
yeah, but did he talk about golf? [jk]

:punch: I'm shaking my fist at you. Just so you know ...

is he being mentored on his coaching hires by mbob?

Sounded like a definite 'yes'. He kinda stumbled around answering it but it was clear he's working with "my AD" to find the right guys.

IOW, it'll be about 2 months and about 6 embarrassing refusals before we finally hire a guy (kidding, kidding). :smuggrin:

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Let's hope MBob (or Silent Bob) is doing the first interview for each candidate.

Would it be OK if I were to wish for MBob doing the final interview for each candidate? Though I guess I shouldn't be that much more comfortable with his hiring skills either :cry::(

ESPNjacket

Helluva Engineer
Would it be OK if I were to wish for MBob doing the final interview for each candidate? Though I guess I shouldn't be that much more comfortable with his hiring skills either :cry::(

I am concerned with Boy Wonder running off the good ones if he goes first. You may be right though.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Here's some national guys discussing coaching hires including ours ...

Observation #1 - I literally hate Gary Parrish after having listened to him speak for the 1st time. I hate him and if you don't get it, I challenge you to listen to about 3 seconds of him. Toolbag with an annoying voice.

Nothing earth shattering. Anyways, they seem to think Pastner-to-GT is a good fit overall. Said his resume isn't as bad as it seems. Basically his NCAA losses have come to some of the best coaches in the business. Tony Bennett, Izzo, etc.

Said MEM admin told Pastner, "we can't fire you but if you find a comparable job we'll help you go" or STTE. Whatever, could be true but doesn't matter. MEM forgave $500M (which he technically owed the school somehow) and actually paid him to go. I don't think that's true but I don't care either. Just summarizing so y'all don't have your ears bleeding from having to listen to this guy speak.

The guy who did the follow-up to the AJC's golf story was on and he discussed his interview with Coach. Said he asked what makes golf any different than ex. going to a baseball game with your family or w/e. Said Coach was more speaking to the fact that golf takes you away from your phone, connectivity to recruit, etc.

They agreed the 'golf comment' was probably just a throwaway comment to illustrate the fact that he's going to work hard and he wants guys around him that also are working hard. Unfortunately, Coach made the stupid comment and hasn't recognized that he should back down from it because it makes him look bad. Said he tried every year to hire Penny Hardaway as an asst. who's known to be an avid (i.e. daily) golfer (which is apparently why he's never decided to be an asst).

Said Tarkanian is another coach who's said his assts can't play golf. Other coaches understand the point he's trying to make but don't know why he's been so public about it. Just silly so let's move on.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
This one of the worst interviews I've ever heard... he seems somewhere else.

But 10 minute mark is interesting. Wants an assistant coach who has been a hc before and he mentioned "one recruit may not be coming for other circumstances" which points to White...

He also had some weird thoughts on his staff following "me" and listening to "me".

Left a weird taste in my mouth:

http://m.espn.go.com/general/play?id=15271502

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

But 10 minute mark is interesting. Wants an assistant coach who has been a hc before and he mentioned "one recruit may not be coming for other circumstances" which points to White...

He also had some weird thoughts on his staff following "me" and listening to "me".

I didn't understand your comment about "points to White" could you clarify?

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
I didn't understand your comment about "points to White" could you clarify?

He made a reference to there only possibly being 9 scholarship players on the roster for next year and there are currently 7. He mentioned we have 3 guys coming in and then later made a comoment about how one may not be coming. Reports are saying the other two recruits are staying committed to GT but nothing about White yet. So that was just me connecting the dots a bit.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

Yeah, i didnt like that interview at all. The 'oh, he couldnt work for me" stuff is just galling.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Does CJP really think Memphis is the most intense coaching job in the country? Is he delusional or just stupid? It's not even in the top 20. So far his inability to manage the press worries me more than anything. I think we need to hire Kevin Costner to coach him through the media relations thing. ("Meat, just tell them what they want to hear. I'm happy to be here. I just want to do my best and help the team win.)

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Does CJP really think Memphis is the most intense coaching job in the country?

He said that within a 50 mile radius, not nationally. And he isn't that far off. Memphis basketball fans are some of the most delusional and irrational in the country.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Does CJP really think Memphis is the most intense coaching job in the country? Is he delusional or just stupid? It's not even in the top 20. So far his inability to manage the press worries me more than anything. I think we need to hire Kevin Costner to coach him through the media relations thing. ("Meat, just tell them what they want to hear. I'm happy to be here. I just want to do my best and help the team win.)

Yeah, like @lv20gt said, it was more of a statement about the MEM fanbase being delusional.

I do find it odd how uncomfortable he's been with the media considering his supposed prowess as a recruiter.

An experienced, old-head coach could do him some good but he's gotta be willing to trust.

shakim3

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, like @lv20gt said, it was more of a statement about the MEM fanbase being delusional.

I do find it odd how uncomfortable he's been with the media considering his supposed prowess as a recruiter.

An experienced, old-head coach could do him some good but he's gotta be willing to trust.

I'm with you. Every time I hear him speak I think: "How does this guy convince players to play for him?"