Parker Braun transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbrown520

Ramblin' Wreck
Whatever. You are THE BIGGEST CPJ obstructionist around.
I make no bones about liking CPJ. I like CGC ok after all the staff hires too. I don't like being an also ran NCAA offense.

What I do see is logic. Parker leaving isn't because he didn't want to play in a non option offense like you claim - it was/is because he doesn't like the new staff - right wrong that's what I believe and is probably much closer to the truth than what he's telling the press.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
My guess would be, didn't get along with the staff. Why would he transfer otherwise? His brother played here. His whole family bleeds white and gold. I know we're putting together an exciting roster of coaches and staff but as others would agree, there's that certain salesmanship aspect of Collins and hype-building by his staff that may not come off as genuine and some people see it right through and they don't respond to that well.

crut

Helluva Engineer
You guys have to have expected some players who committed to CPJ to be overwhelmed by the culture shock of CGC. They are polar opposite program managers. If a player was all in on CPJ's style, it's decently likely he's not going to like CGC's style. Now that being said, if I could have kept 1 senior, it was Parker Braun. So very disappointed he is one of the ones who didn't enjoy the change.

JacketEagle

Georgia Tech Fan
I don’t know if everyone read it but there was a really good post about an introvert culture vs an extrovert culture and how we just became an extreme extrovert culture. It will not surprise me at all if this played a significant role in the decision.
I hate it for the team but I wish Parker all the best

That's right. We've gone from one extreme to the other. All the glitz and blitz and showboat stuff will appeal to lots of kids, but it will be a different type kid. The personalities of some of these current kids will not mesh well with this new staff and i guess to some degree is understandable. I suspect(only guessing) that when we look back after 4 or 5 years our record under Collins will be about the same as under Paul. Hope I'm wrong though.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
I’m not gonna cry about any player leaving. I will admit I cried when Kenny left though. Every person should make the best decision for themselves. No different than when Johnson was our coach.
Almost cried when Dennis & Kenny left! That was rough.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
20170906_213126.jpg
Have heard this strong possibility from Flea.
Started to post but during last 3 games as we discussed Will on this board.
If you remember that I posted that Parker hurried off the field when Detroit bowl ended.

Others were more likely to leave if no changes.

It's possible that parker is not enjoying all the rah rah Strength and conditioning hype.

Imo, Our tutoring is very helpful for smart players to get degree and move on. Hurts when he is a star.

Good luck.
Favorite memory.
All acc for sure.
He used to ignore sewak

Last edited:

MaconBacon IM88

Jolly Good Fellow
I think there was a certain level of discontent with GT before the staff changes...I remember his remark about 'wishing we would fill the stands'....not suggesting it was the school, the team, the staff, the O-system, the fans - he just said it in a way that reflected a bitterness. Nonetheless, he contributed a GREAT deal to our team's performance on field.

Hope it's a well reasoned choice and wish him the best. If folks don't buy in, especially the 'leadership', gotta make a move.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Have heard this strong possibility from Flea.
Started to post but during last 3 games as we discussed Will on this board.
If you remember that I posted that Parker hurried off the field when Detroit bowl ended.

Others were more likely to leave if no changes.

It's possible that parker is not enjoying all the rah rah Strength and conditioning hype.

Imo, Our tutoring is very helpful for smart players to get degree and move on. Hurts when he is a star.

The reality is, when a new staff comes in, a lot of players don't necessarily mesh with the new coaches...and the new coaches don't necessarily view some of the players of "with us". Players will leave.

CPJ was VERY lucky that there were strong upper classmen that held the team together as several of the more talented guys on the team in 2008 were heavily leaning towards transferring...an a few did. I believe there was an article after the 2008 season that talked about guys like Daryl Richards telling everyone to keep and open mind about CPJ and remember GT was an elite education.

Parker will not be the last one to transfer out before the season starts.

lauraee

Helluva Engineer
I think there was a certain level of discontent with GT before the staff changes...I remember his remark about 'wishing we would fill the stands'....not suggesting it was the school, the team, the staff, the O-system, the fans - he just said it in a way that reflected a bitterness. Nonetheless, he contributed a GREAT deal to our team's performance on field.

Hope it's a well reasoned choice and wish him the best. If folks don't buy in, especially the 'leadership', gotta make a move.
Has his degree, new coaching staff so doesn't feel as loyal or guilty about leaving, chance to play for a natty depending where he lands, & a chance to play somewhere where the stands are filled with enthusiastic fans. Can't really blame him for wanting to change it up.

Wish him the best & as long as it's not ugag will cheer him on.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Wow, this is not good for the program. CGC needs the most stability he can get from the high performers & having a possible All-American bolt unexpectedly is not easy to fill. Next man up.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Well, not good news, but turnover was to be expected. He earned his GT degree supposedly, so he's free to do whatever he wants. Parker was a great player (one of the best on the team), but he wasn't going to make or break our team next year. A transition year probably wasn't going to be good for his draft stock, so I wish him luck at whatever program he ends up at next.

Also, can we please not turn this into another Johnson vs. Collins thread? It feels like we finally ended that constant bickering a couple days ago and it's been a much more pleasant board.

Edit: I'll add that if this is culture-motivated, it's definitely for the best. The worst thing for us would be to create a locker room divide. You can see the effects of that with the Beamer players all leaving VT right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.