Parker Braun transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I remember playing basketball with him multiple times and being blown away by how quick his feet were and how agile he was in the post with the ball.

I have a theory. If you want to know how quick and athletic a football player is, just watch him play pickup basketball. Some of the football players during my time at GT use to play pick up with the basketball team, and outside of height, you couldn't really tell who was on the basketball team. I mean, you had 240 lb LBs and 275 lb DLs running game on the guys that played on the basketball team. It was pretty amazing to watch.

That's why they say NFL players are freaks. Guys that size that can move like they're 185 lbs is a phenomenal sight.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
If I were Parker and I finished my degree at Tech and I had another year of eligibility left and can start immediately after transferring, I'd go somewhere with a beach... and better ratio than Tech. Pick a school in Florida.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Uga only down about 10.
Is that real?
There’s a correlation between success in NCAA’s major sports & a college’s reputation/ranking. It’s only when you get to elite academics is there really any separation. You want a metric? Use starting salary or salary after 5-10 years. If an employer is willing to pay your average graduates more, you’ve got a product worth buying. After all, isn’t that what’s college supposed to be about, preparing students for a prosperous career? Money talks. We all know the rest of that story.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Uga only down about 10.
Is that real?

Yes. uga isn't a terrible school for the real students. They just don't really push their football players to be real students and have degree fields to hide them in. It's one reason I've always said having 1-2 easier majors for athletes at GT wouldn't devalue the degrees for the general student population.

Animal02

Banned

Why these ranking are such BS.
Now we have "social justice" impacting college rankings.....give me a frikkin break......no to mention using high school counselors.......I never met one that was worth a crap......and I know several.

Methodology
1)Social mobility: New this year, we factored a school's success at promoting social mobility by graduating students who received federal Pell Grants 5%
2)Graduation and retention rates:
The higher the proportion of first-year students who return to campus for sophomore year and eventually graduate, the better a school is apt to be at offering the classes and services that students need to succeed. This has two components: We weighted it at 22 percent total
3)Graduation rate performance: We compared each college's actual six-year graduation rate to what we predicted for its fall 2011 entering class. We weighted it at 8 percent
4)Class size is the most highly weighted faculty resource measure, at 8 percent.
5)Faculty salary is weighted at 7 percent and is the average faculty pay, plus benefits,
6)U.S. News also factors the proportion of full-time faculty with the highest degree in their fields (3 percent), student-faculty ratio (1 percent) and the proportion of faculty who are full time (1 percent).
7)The peer assessment survey averages results from spring 2017 and 2018. It is weighted at 15 percent for National Universities
8)The high school counselor assessment survey averages results from spring 2016, 2017 and 2018. It is weighted at 5 percent
9)Financial Resources (10 percent)
10)We weighted standardized tests at 7.75 percent
11)High School class standing We weighted this at 2.25 percent,
12)Alumni Giving (5 percent)

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
Parker is a smart and funny dude. I don't think we will really know his motivation for leaving, but I don't think it is an NFL decision. He will make an NFL roster if he wants to, no matter where he plays his last year of eligibility. I think he was pointing out the absurd notion that you could not make an NFL roster playing in CPJ's spread option offense. After the coaching change to an NFL style offense, he is just poking fun at this notion. IMHO

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Now we have "social justice" impacting college rankings.....give me a frikkin break......no to mention using high school counselors.......I never met one that was worth a crap......and I know several.

Methodology
1)Social mobility: New this year, we factored a school's success at promoting social mobility by graduating students who received federal Pell Grants 5%
The higher the proportion of first-year students who return to campus for sophomore year and eventually graduate, the better a school is apt to be at offering the classes and services that students need to succeed. This has two components: We weighted it at 22 percent total
3)Graduation rate performance: We compared each college's actual six-year graduation rate to what we predicted for its fall 2011 entering class. We weighted it at 8 percent
4)Class size is the most highly weighted faculty resource measure, at 8 percent.
5)Faculty salary is weighted at 7 percent and is the average faculty pay, plus benefits,
6)U.S. News also factors the proportion of full-time faculty with the highest degree in their fields (3 percent), student-faculty ratio (1 percent) and the proportion of faculty who are full time (1 percent).
7)The peer assessment survey averages results from spring 2017 and 2018. It is weighted at 15 percent for National Universities
8)The high school counselor assessment survey averages results from spring 2016, 2017 and 2018. It is weighted at 5 percent

Florida is a good school. No ifs, ands or buts about it. Do they have majors to hide athletes in? Yes. Does that change the fact that they have consistently been in the top 50 universities in the USA throughout the years? No.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

Methodology

Social Mobility isn't Social Justice. It is basically ROI. Pell grant is for people who are dirt poor so we probably actually do well in this metric due to our ROI.

High School Conselor survey is dumb though

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Yes. uga isn't a terrible school for the real students. They just don't really push their football players to be real students and have degree fields to hide them in. It's one reason I've always said having 1-2 easier majors for athletes at GT wouldn't devalue the degrees for the general student population.
Too bad we cant get business school to accept some quality courses from other ATL colleges. The idea being a gt solid business degree w some slight flowing for students vocation interest. ( Flea's son Will got business degree in 4 years . Took internship in summers at gt with Strength and Training coach to learn about it in great detail. Initially want to work s pros and then use business degree to start a company ). If like parker flea s son had taken regular classes in summer , he may have been able to transfer after 3 years.

ABOUT 2 years ago we had several knowledge posters who knew about school ratings, board of regents, accreditation etc. There dialog was interesting. But ended w the fact that this prez would have to go the extra and risky mile w the BOR.

Imo if we had a way to add flavor to business degree it could ATTRACT a more diverse student body ( The minor in X by gt and Emory or y by gt and ga state).

Will see if Todd trys to get new prez to START to do anything on curriculum

Coach has said" it is what it is " and we wont be good on a long term basis - "till it isn't" . We will never know what gtc football could have been if this great offensive mind was given the institute s full support .

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Too bad we cant get business school to accept some quality courses from other ATL colleges. The idea being a gt solid business degree w some slight flowing for students vocation interest. ( Flea's son Will got business degree in 4 years . Took internship in summers at gt with Strength and Training coach to learn about it in great detail. Initially want to work s pros and then use business degree to start a company ). If like parker flea s son had taken regular classes in summer , he may have been able to transfer after 3 years.

ABOUT 2 years ago we had several knowledge posters who knew about school ratings, board of regents, accreditation etc. There dialog was interesting. But ended w the fact that this prez would have to go the extra and risky mile w the BOR.

Imo if we had a way to add flavor to business degree it could ATTRACT a more diverse student body ( The minor in X by gt and Emory or y by gt and ga state).

Will see if Todd trys to get new prez to START to do anything on curriculum

Coach has said" it is what it is " and we wont be good on a long term basis - "till it isn't" . We will never know what gtc football could have been if this great offensive mind was given the institute s full support .
MODS.
I was pointing out that Will Bryan - could have and in my opinion would have grad transfered after junior year. I was trying to add that if we had a way for 5th year senumiorscto get a minor added in something they like (criminal justice, what ever) THEY WOULD BE MORE LIKELY TO STAY FOR A 5th year .

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
MODS.
I was pointing out that Will Bryan - could have and in my opinion would have grad transfered after junior year. I was trying to add that if we had a way for 5th year senumiorscto get a minor added in something they like (criminal justice, what ever) THEY WOULD BE MORE LIKELY TO STAY FOR A 5th year .

Sadly...in hindsight....Will absolutely should have done this. His senior year will always be a black eye on the last regime....and I’m pretty widely regarded as a pro CPJ guy. Will’s senior year makes my head hurt.

Not saying anything similar would have happened to Braun. I think he just wants a fun senior year and a transfer probably helps accomplish that as well as benefit him for the draft.

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
GT already has easier majors; the degree of ease just depends on what you're comparing to. Valuewise, I'd say offering easier majors primarily for athletes is detrimental to GT's current and prospective students. From a ground zero perspective spanning a decade, there is increasingly inadequate resources and fewer opportunities available for effective higher education than the years before. Sure, GT's reputation will probably still get fresh grads' resume in the door, but the value at the interviews and/or preliminary years is/will take a hit.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
GT already has easier majors; the degree of ease just depends on what you're comparing to. Valuewise, I'd say offering easier majors primarily for athletes is detrimental to GT's current and prospective students. From a ground zero perspective spanning a decade, there is increasingly inadequate resources and fewer opportunities available for effective higher education than the years before. Sure, GT's reputation will probably still get fresh grads' resume in the door, but the value at the interviews and/or preliminary years is/will take a hit.

It won't. I promise you. That's why the joke majors don't hurt the other schools high on these lists that offer them. Several football factories are ahead of us in these rankings. They hide their athletes. Their normal students still get degrees that are highly regarded.

gthxxxx

Jolly Good Fellow
It won't. I promise you. That's why the joke majors don't hurt the other schools high on these lists that offer them. Several football factories are ahead of us in these rankings. They hide their athletes. Their normal students still get degrees that are highly regarded.
Other universities have more existing space and infrastructure to support the "diversified" education, and even then, I'd say most (all?) of them are doing a disservice to those not part of the target by detracting resources/attention. My point is that even without the additional easy majors, GT is already and has been overburdened for years.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Other universities have more existing space and infrastructure to support the "diversified" education, and even then, I'd say most (all?) of them are doing a disservice to those not part of the target by detracting resources/attention. My point is that even without the additional easy majors, GT is already and has been overburdened for years.

That's as may be, but it doesn't change the fact that said majors would not devalue current and future GT degrees. That was my assertion.

It comes down to this. We can either attempt to gain a schematic advantage against opponents with better resources, and the ability to recruit better with a few athletic focused majors is a resource, or we can attempt to get on the same playing field as our competitors.

The last 11 years we employed a schematic advantage. We no longer have one, so if we want to be competitive, we need to take a long, hard look at what we are doing and make necessary course corrections. While we may never be able to bridge the gap between the factories (Bama, uga, Clemson...) and us, we can at least narrow that gap substantially.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Sadly...in hindsight....Will absolutely should have done this. His senior year will always be a black eye on the last regime....and I’m pretty widely regarded as a pro CPJ guy. Will’s senior year makes my head hurt.

Not saying anything similar would have happened to Braun. I think he just wants a fun senior year and a transfer probably helps accomplish that as well as benefit him for the draft.
The parents of the young players scratch there heads and say - yea, that's bad. i hope it works out for my son and if it doesn't at least my son will get a degree from gt.
When 70 was on front page of on program and then on stadium marquee why did he not at least he a token start play , the players see this and go???

Gt football will be way better if we can make organizational modification to keep good players here and playing or supportive. Happy r sr s should be our measurable and track able goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.