Overall thoughts??

If Taquon is our starting QB with 98% of the snaps, we have 7 wins at most, regardless of anything else. Zero threat in the passing game will kill us.

Special teams has to make a dramatic improvement. The ONLY good thing is punting, both coverage and return units suck. Field goals suck. Without marked improvement this alone with cost us 3-5 games.

Potentially defense could take a step forward and be legit top 35. It could also be a big help to the O-line as well with the different style of play. But we could also have some communication and recognition issues.

ALL of this is assuming we don't have anybody injured in the spring or fall practice.
Taquon is obviously not a great nor consistent passer, but to say he poses ZERO threat in the passing game is ignoring those completed TD passes that he threw this past year which caught the other teams totally off guard. Do I hope for better passing, more consistent passing, more productive pass plays? Of course I do, but it's not like we've been totally without a passing threat.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
Got what I wanted for Christmas - a Georgia loss in the NC game - so I am feeling good. As for the upcoming season, however, I am not feeling so good. Key factors will be who plays QB and, of course, the weather. Assuming CPJ holds true to form, he will start with TM and likely play him all the way, in which case I expect us to go 5 - 7.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Got what I wanted for Christmas - a Georgia loss in the NC game - so I am feeling good. As for the upcoming season, however, I am not feeling so good. Key factors will be who plays QB and, of course, the weather. Assuming CPJ holds true to form, he will start with TM and likely play him all the way, in which case I expect us to go 5 - 7.

I have to say this...it bothers me that we need (or even think that we need) certain types of weather to function effectively. It is, after all, a game played outdoors (for the most part).

I have to say this...it bothers me that we need (or even think that we need) certain types of weather to function effectively. It is, after all, a game played outdoors (for the most part).
That was one thing that really upset me this past year....we seemed to be afraid of playing in the rain. I feel pretty sure that Taquon was, but it seemed like even Johnson was, whereas he never has in the past.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
Taquon is obviously not a great nor consistent passer, but to say he poses ZERO threat in the passing game is ignoring those completed TD passes that he threw this past year which caught the other teams totally off guard. Do I hope for better passing, more consistent passing, more productive pass plays? Of course I do, but it's not like we've been totally without a passing threat.

Our passing threat was inconsistent at best. Taquon is a tremendous athlete and very dynamic with the ball in his hands. However, he lacks the arm strength and vision to be even a decent passer in our offense. That's not unfair or crazy to say.

Granted, I don't think many guys throw very well when we don't really call any short warm up passes to get them in rythmn. Baker Mayfield is not going to complete long bombs at a high rate in our offense with the way we ask QBs to be instantly accurate deep.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow

This. Seems like the indoor practice facility has had unintended consequences.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
That was one thing that really upset me this past year....we seemed to be afraid of playing in the rain. I feel pretty sure that Taquon was, but it seemed like even Johnson was, whereas he never has in the past.

Taquan is going to struggle when the ball is wet. The way he threw the ball when it rained tells me his hands are small, and the ball slips out of his grip. That's why it sails on him. Guys with bigger hands won't have the best grip in the rain, but they can at least get better leverage on their throws. In the Clemson game, look at the difference between how the ball comes out of Clemson's QB's hands, and TQM's hands. Big difference.

It's something CPJ will have to keep in mind if it's wet and TQM is our QB. It definitely will alter play calling.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Well it's not just the passing game that is off in the rain. I think the running game is more affected because we have so many guys pulling and trying to get around on the edge. It not just affects getting to the edge and pitching the ball, our interior run plays have a lot of pulling linemen and guys trying to get to the second level. Much harder without good footing. If we were more prepared to line up and try to drive the guy in front of you in these situations, we'd be better off. There might be fewer big plays, but we get killed in 2nd & 3rd in long in the rain because of the already reduced playbook and fear of turnovers.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Well it's not just the passing game that is off in the rain. I think the running game is more affected because we have so many guys pulling and trying to get around on the edge. It not just affects getting to the edge and pitching the ball, our interior run plays have a lot of pulling linemen and guys trying to get to the second level. Much harder without good footing. If we were more prepared to line up and try to drive the guy in front of you in these situations, we'd be better off. There might be fewer big plays, but we get killed in 2nd & 3rd in long in the rain because of the already reduced playbook and fear of turnovers.

One of our greatest comebacks was in the rain: UGA 2008. That was teh first year we implemented the offense as well.

I just can't remember us having so many offensive issues in the rain until this year.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
One of our greatest comebacks was in the rain: UGA 2008. That was teh first year we implemented the offense as well.

I just can't remember us having so many offensive issues in the rain until this year.

No, it was definitely a distinct theme this year. Not sure how much of it was our attention to the difference and the frequency with which we played in games heavily affected by rain.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I am excited to see the type of aggressive attacking defense I have been asking for and praying for the last 5 years. It will be a "three-and-out" defense....either we will force a punt in 3 plays or they'll score in 3 plays (just kidding...sorta).

On offense, I am NOT excited at all. We have a VERY ineffective passing offense, and CPJ showed no real inclination to do anything about it. So, either CPJ is simply too stubborn to try the backup QB, or the backup QB was not any better than the starting QB. Neither option fills me with excitement. Nevertheless, if we are *consatntly* playing form behind, this offense might become daunting. Even without much of a passing game.

If we had not changed DC's, I likely would have lost most of my interest in GT football until something changed.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Oh, and I predict that the opposition will have more big plays next year from now on. If we disrupt things more, I think that's a trade-off we need to accept.

FIFY. I understand that people want to see an aggressive D, but we need to understand that the nature of being aggressive means breakdowns generally go for huge plays. It's not just going to be next year.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
We have to get the QB situation worked out first and foremost. Think TM should go to A back and hope one of our QBs on the roster steps up. Make good use of our most talented athletes on the roster. As for D, I feel good about the hire and think his aggressive play will make us better. Special teams needs to vastly improve.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
FIFY. I understand that people want to see an aggressive D, but we need to understand that the nature of being aggressive means breakdowns generally go for huge plays. It's not just going to be next year.

Totally agree. However, at the end of the season we were ranked 64th in points allowed and gave up an average of 26.5 points per game. That’s almost right in the middle for D-1 football. Not good. Personally, I’d rather give up a big play that takes five seconds than getting bubble-screened to death for five minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sgreer

Jolly Good Fellow
Now that we have a new DC, in place. What are everyone's thoughts about next season? Excited? Curious? Wondering? Scared? Yeah... Probably all the above. But, we should be able to express our thoughts, without judgement.

Feel free to express your thoughts. Let's just see where this goes.
Hopeful as always- they always seem to surprise me (good and bad). Tech is tough to predict which keeps it interesting for sure!

buzzwilder

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm pumped & can't wait for Spring practice. Moving to a 3-4 seems like a good fit since we struggle signing the war daddy DT's (us & 95% of CFB). Hopefully the more aggressive D will equal more negative plays & turnovers....can't really equal less. Tighten up ST & we might have something. Honestly feels like the program is moving in the right direction.