Overall thoughts??

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
So you contend, with merit, that TM can’t throw the ball but......you want CPJ to give up running so much and try to pass more.

That makes no sense unless you are simply advocating benching TM. Which again could have merit. But you didn’t make it clear if so.

I hope CPJ can bring in some more awful QBs like JT. :rolleyes:
Obviously I was obtuse, a word that needs a lot more exposure. No, I don't want him to give up running. But he had two backs get more than 1,000 yards in '17, the best year rushing of the last three, and we won five times. Some guys want passing. I just want more options and that sometimes startling triple option. 12-15 passes a game is fine with me. Let's just hit some of them, though. With the right QB that is a beautiful offense -- against FSU in the ACC championship, and then a dismantling, piece by piece, of one of those juggernauts from the SEC in the Orange Bowl. (I like it when the camera shows a Bobby Bowden or Jimbo Fisher or Dan Mullen mystified on the sideline, or a DC looking like he wanted to be somewhere else.) In short, if Marshall stays there, then passing and the option tosses are out again, as well as the downfield passing threat. Meaning the safeties creep up and double up on the edge. In short, we get his 1,200 yards rushing, and lose everything else.

Old South Stands

Jolly Good Fellow
Who will be Georgias losses? I believe we could win 7 or 8 with their schedule.

UGA Schudule 2018:

Sept. 1 Austin Peay: WIN
Sept. 8 at South Carolina: May possibly lose this one. 50-50 toss-up. Sleeper game after a win over weak FCS opponent.
Sept. 15 Middle Tennessee: WIN
Sept. 22 at Missouri: Likely WIN
Sept. 29 Tennessee: WIN in a close game.
Oct. 6 Vanderbilt: WIN
Oct. 13 at LSU: close WIN
Oct. 27 vs. Florida in Jacksonville: LOSS
Nov. 3 at Kentucky: WIN
Nov. 10 Auburn: close LOSS
Nov. 17 UMass: WIN
Nov. 24 Georgia Tech: WIN (if Tech can't get good offensive production. Tech defense will be better, and UGA no longer has Chubb and Michel. Don't know how easy it will be to win 3 times in a row in their stadium, but who knows?)

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
UGA Schudule 2018:

Sept. 1 Austin Peay: WIN
Sept. 8 at South Carolina: May possibly lose this one. 50-50 toss-up. Sleeper game after a win over weak FCS opponent.
Sept. 15 Middle Tennessee: WIN
Sept. 22 at Missouri: Likely WIN
Sept. 29 Tennessee: WIN in a close game.
Oct. 6 Vanderbilt: WIN
Oct. 13 at LSU: close WIN
Oct. 27 vs. Florida in Jacksonville: LOSS
Nov. 3 at Kentucky: WIN
Nov. 10 Auburn: close LOSS
Nov. 17 UMass: WIN
Nov. 24 Georgia Tech: WIN (if Tech can't get good offensive production. Defense will be better, and UGA no longer has Chubb and Michel. Don't know how easy it will be to win 3 times in a row in their stadium, but who knows?)
I think UGAG loses to LSU and Auburn along with one other game that could be Tennessee,South Carolina or GT(y)

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
My ACC Outlook for 2018

ACC Atlantic

1)Clemson 11-1
2)FSU 9-3
3)Wake Forest 8-4
4)NCSU 8-4
5)Louisville 6-6
5)Boston College 6-6
6)Syracuse 5-7

ACC Coastal

1)Miami 11-1
2)Virginia Tech 9-3
3)Georgia Tech 8-4
4)Duke 6-6
5)Virginis 5-7
6)Pitt 4-8
7)North Carolina 4-8

FSU has a ton of talent but if they don't protect Francois or Blackman better, it will be another long year.
I think BC will be better than 6-6. If Samuels and the QB are back, NC State could be pretty good. Louisville is about to take a big step back.
Not sold on Va Tech's offense. Their QB didn't look very good against our defense. Miami should be pretty good but I think there are at least two losses on their schedule. Duke will be better than 6-6. Virginia is losing some real good defensive players. The third QB UNC trotted out there actually had their offense playing a lot better toward the end of the year.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
The thing about Mizzou is that they ended the year hot and return their record setting QB. I think that game is a loss for ugag because it is at Mizzou. I also think that they lose to one of SC, LSU on the road and 2/3 of GT, UF, and AU. So, 8-4 or 9-3 and they'll probably win a weak SEC East that UF will dominate again when Mullen gets it up and running.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Obviously I was obtuse, a word that needs a lot more exposure. No, I don't want him to give up running. But he had two backs get more than 1,000 yards in '17, the best year rushing of the last three, and we won five times. Some guys want passing. I just want more options and that sometimes startling triple option. 12-15 passes a game is fine with me. Let's just hit some of them, though. With the right QB that is a beautiful offense -- against FSU in the ACC championship, and then a dismantling, piece by piece, of one of those juggernauts from the SEC in the Orange Bowl. (I like it when the camera shows a Bobby Bowden or Jimbo Fisher or Dan Mullen mystified on the sideline, or a DC looking like he wanted to be somewhere else.) In short, if Marshall stays there, then passing and the option tosses are out again, as well as the downfield passing threat. Meaning the safeties creep up and double up on the edge. In short, we get his 1,200 yards rushing, and lose everything else.

I will say. We have to be able to pass successfully if we want our O to succeed at a high level. We pass a much smaller percentage of the time than most contemporary offenses. But it is incredibly important for us to be able to do so effectively when we do throw or our O stagnates.

Our most successful Os have been no able to make big plays and big first down conversions through the air. CPJ knows this, hell we all do.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
I will say. We have to be able to pass successfully if we want our O to succeed at a high level. We pass a much smaller percentage of the time than most contemporary offenses. But it is incredibly important for us to be able to do so effectively when we do throw or our O stagnates.

Our most successful Os have been no able to make big plays and big first down conversions through the air. CPJ knows this, hell we all do.

You have to pass to keep the defense honest. If you don’t, the D will stack the box against the run. Of course, when you throw it you don’t always have to throw it as far as you can. Just sayin’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
So you contend, with merit, that TM can’t throw the ball but......you want CPJ to give up running so much and try to pass more.

That makes no sense unless you are simply advocating benching TM. Which again could have merit. But you didn’t make it clear if so.

I hope CPJ can bring in some more awful QBs like JT. :rolleyes:
He signed Ratliff, too. Who knows what he might have done in the offense.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You do realize D and ST’s, especially in crunch time, had some influence on that 5 win total, don’t you?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
You do realize D and ST’s, especially in crunch time, had some influence on that 5 win total, don’t you?
If I don't I have been sleeping under a manhole cover. But the fact remains: Johnson historically wins by just running over people on offense. All the rest has been piffle. He doesn't do the one any more, and still can't do the other. So ...

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Last fall, LJ and JJ had one fall and one spring running the TO. I doubt Johnson wanted to throw them in at that stage. Can't fault him. With wins over Tenn and Miami (almost dammit), we would have been looking at a much different year. Next season, LJ will have three fall camps and two springs behind him. Marshall better be ready. Saban just gave every coach in America both the freedom and the obligation to switch QB's at any time. With Marshall taking Devine's spot, there are essentially 10 starters back on offense. If you're going to bring in a new QB, that would seem like an ideal time.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Until we can pass block better I will remain skeptical of our OL. We should be better at it but never have been under PJ. We do better with play action on other than 3rd and long when not expected to pass. There are times when we will need to pass. Just ask Saban about it.

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Until we can pass block better I will remain skeptical of our OL. We should be better at it but never have been under PJ. We do better with play action on other than 3rd and long when not expected to pass. There are times when we will need to pass. Just ask Saban about it.

Is there an example of this iteration of CPJ’s offense with decent pass blocking? Even the years that we’ve been proficient throwing the ball the QB seems to be facing a jailbreak every attempt.