Overall thoughts??

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Is there an example of this iteration of CPJ’s offense with decent pass blocking? Even the years that we’ve been proficient throwing the ball the QB seems to be facing a jailbreak every attempt.
Yes, during his time at Georgia Southern. One or more members of the board, I believe, are familiar with those teams. I have this vague recollection of reading of GSU coming back from something like a six TD halftime deficit to win by throwing the ball all over the field.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I want us to be successful but my engineering education has me always trying to solve problems. We have had a problem with pass blocking. I wish I knew the answer but that should be the task of our coaches. They certainly are aware of it. Why hasn't that improved.

Now that we have a new DC, in place. What are everyone's thoughts about next season? Excited? Curious? Wondering? Scared? Yeah... Probably all the above. But, we should be able to express our thoughts, without judgement.

Feel free to express your thoughts. Let's just see where this goes.

I'm curious to see the effects of a new DC and scheme on Defense. I've got no opinions on Offense yet until a staring QB is named. Actually I've got 2:

1. If TQ is the starter, 5-6 wins tops. Losses to Clemson and mutts guaranteed.
2. If LJ or a better passer is QB, more optimism. 7+ wins possible, maybe one of the 2 mutts/Clemson. Bowl appearance, etc.

Our O is always best when we pass effectively. Gotta do that and only way to is with a new QB.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
I'm curious to see the effects of a new DC and scheme on Defense. I've got no opinions on Offense yet until a staring QB is named. Actually I've got 2:

1. If TQ is the starter, 5-6 wins tops. Losses to Clemson and mutts guaranteed.
2. If LJ or a better passer is QB, more optimism. 7+ wins possible, maybe one of the 2 mutts/Clemson. Bowl appearance, etc.

Our O is always best when we pass effectively. Gotta do that and only way to is with a new QB.
I think GT has a better chance of beating UGAG in 2018 than they do of beating Clemson

knoxjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Yes, during his time at Georgia Southern. One or more members of the board, I believe, are familiar with those teams. I have this vague recollection of reading of GSU coming back from something like a six TD halftime deficit to win by throwing the ball all over the field.

I don’t know if this is true or not, but given the physical superiority Georgia Southern had in those days I’d hope it was.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I agree with the Marshall reference, unless -- unless -- Johnson gives up on the idea he can run an option offense and throw a bit, and goes all in with the Navy/Army model: Marshall keeps it and runs a series of plays with that intention.. It is the one thing he does well as a QB. It will be a dumbed down, stripped to the frame option spread and not as exciting as what we've seen, but it can be a winner. Two things have kept Johnson out of the top tier of football coaches: he can't build a defense, and he can't recruit quarterbacks. There are all kinds of reasons and it is not directed specifically to him, but there it is, every year it seems. But I am hopeful in 2018.
I agree with what you said, but also see an issue with having enough QUALITY depth on the OL. Whether it's playing for Sewak / West , poor judgement of talent, poor teaching of technique, or some other reason, it's not providing enough players available to overcome the inevitable injuries, transfers, etc.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I want us to be successful but my engineering education has me always trying to solve problems. We have had a problem with pass blocking. I wish I knew the answer but that should be the task of our coaches. They certainly are aware of it. Why hasn't that improved.
Short passing game helps mixed in with long passes. LB's don't stay home you burn them.

I like to break down next seasons by looking at our opponents vs what we think we have.
OOC Bowling Green, USF, Alcorn State, UGA
We should beat Bowling Green and Alcorn
I am not sure what to expect from USF because they lost 80% of their offense, their QB. I would think we win
UGA Well let's see what losing 30 seniors, 80% of the offense and a lot of the defense does.

Conference
Clemson will be very good, our toughest game
Louisville I expect a Tech win since their entire offense just wen to the NFL, and they have never faced CPJ
UVA, in Atlanta and new QB I think we win
UNC I think they are going to be bad again. Tech win
Duke maybe we actually get up for this.
Pitt Another Tech win
VT I think they are on a downswing. I know they won 9 games but 4 came against not great teams. At VT but that has not seemed to matter.
Miami I am not buying the hype. I think Tech wins this one but they have become our nemesis

We should win at least 9 games.
You must not have been tech football very long. I've had my heart ripped from my chest 100 too many times to post such optimism. You'll learn to temper the enthusiasm.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
I lay that problem at the feet of the OL coaches - Sewak and West. Can they evaluate talent ? Can they teach technique ? They take players like the Morgan twins - will they be " projects " their whole time at Tech ? If so ( and I hope not BTW ) whose fault is that ? I have no doubt the twins are giving good effort, but is it with well directed and effective teaching/ coaching ?? We can certainly sign players who need strengthing and coaching - but are we developing productive players with our current efforts , with enough regularity ? I think not.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Honest question. Will the new style defense affect the performance of QB's in spring practice. Would the strengths of a particular qb over another be demonstrated more against Woody's defense more than it did against Ted's?

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I agree with what you said, but also see an issue with having enough QUALITY depth on the OL. Whether it's playing for Sewak / West , poor judgement of talent, poor teaching of technique, or some other reason, it's not providing enough players available to overcome the inevitable injuries, transfers, etc.
I don't argue a bit with the Oline observation, but maybe as a sop to our frustration, keep in mind that Alabama treated Clemson's offensive line like salt water taffy, and prior to that game it was a solid O line. A shaky QB making some bad decisions didn't help, but as with our QB, often he didn't have time. It can happen.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Looking at last season , we counted 7 ( SEVEN ) offensive linemen ready to play against Duke , after getting Lee back from injury. That is pitiful for a heavy run oriented offense like ours !! I have said for years that our TO requires a different quality lineman at EVERY 2 deep position : 10 guys. No spots filled with an "or". For example Cooper can be 1st string center OR 2nd string right guard. If we need to sign 5 O linemen EVERY YEAR for 4 years to build this level of depth , we need to do it. For our offense, it's THAT important , IMO.

Last edited: