Overall thoughts??

Jmonty71

Banned
Now that we have a new DC, in place. What are everyone's thoughts about next season? Excited? Curious? Wondering? Scared? Yeah... Probably all the above. But, we should be able to express our thoughts, without judgement.

Feel free to express your thoughts. Let's just see where this goes.

Jmonty71

Banned
I'll start. I am curious to see how quick and how well we transition back to a 3-4 defense. I'm curious to see whether we have enough talent and depth at the LB spot. I honestly don't know if we have the right personnel to run Woody's defense.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Now that we have a new DC, in place. What are everyone's thoughts about next season? Excited? Curious? Wondering? Scared? Yeah... Probably all the above. But, we should be able to express our thoughts, without judgement.

Feel free to express your thoughts. Let's just see where this goes.
I can't wait to see the defense I expect it to be more aggressive:cool:

I like to break down next seasons by looking at our opponents vs what we think we have.
OOC Bowling Green, USF, Alcorn State, UGA
We should beat Bowling Green and Alcorn
I am not sure what to expect from USF because they lost 80% of their offense, their QB. I would think we win
UGA Well let's see what losing 30 seniors, 80% of the offense and a lot of the defense does.

Conference
Clemson will be very good, our toughest game
Louisville I expect a Tech win since their entire offense just wen to the NFL, and they have never faced CPJ
UVA, in Atlanta and new QB I think we win
UNC I think they are going to be bad again. Tech win
Duke maybe we actually get up for this.
Pitt Another Tech win
VT I think they are on a downswing. I know they won 9 games but 4 came against not great teams. At VT but that has not seemed to matter.
Miami I am not buying the hype. I think Tech wins this one but they have become our nemesis

We should win at least 9 games.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm cautiously optimistic about the 2018 season. and impressed with what I've read about our new DC and the 3-4 one slot scheme, which seems ideal for Tech. Also, despite the dissatisfaction among some fans about Tech's OOC foes -- FCS-level Alcorn State; a USF team which was very good in 2017 but loses plenty to graduation heading into next season; and lowly Bowling Green -- I'm glad we're facing those three in September as the new defensive scheme is broken in.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Special teams is still the thing that needs to improve the most. I think it will be a good year if we can climb to at least average in that department. I might be drinking the kool-aid, but I do think the defense will see an immediate improvement. But we still play some tough opponents, and I don't think we can expect to score bunches on Clemson or UGA even if we have significant improvements on O. Good year is 8-4 type season or better. Depending on how the ball rolls, though, a team that plays to the level of 8-4 expected results could go 6-6 or 10-2.

Deleted member 2897

I like to break down next seasons by looking at our opponents vs what we think we have.
OOC Bowling Green, USF, Alcorn State, UGA
We should beat Bowling Green and Alcorn
I am not sure what to expect from USF because they lost 80% of their offense, their QB. I would think we win
UGA Well let's see what losing 30 seniors, 80% of the offense and a lot of the defense does.

Conference
Clemson will be very good, our toughest game
Louisville I expect a Tech win since their entire offense just wen to the NFL, and they have never faced CPJ
UVA, in Atlanta and new QB I think we win
UNC I think they are going to be bad again. Tech win
Duke maybe we actually get up for this.
Pitt Another Tech win
VT I think they are on a downswing. I know they won 9 games but 4 came against not great teams. At VT but that has not seemed to matter.
Miami I am not buying the hype. I think Tech wins this one but they have become our nemesis

We should win at least 9 games.

Um. We didn't win a road game last year. This year our key road games are @USF, @Louisville, @Virginia Tech, @Georgia, @Pittsburgh, @North Carolina.
We play 3 teams ranked in the top 5 - all 3 of them will vie for the CFP (Miami, Clemson, Georgia). Those 3 teams are currently all ranked in the Top 5!
Virginia Tech is ranked in the teens. And we play them on the road.

Even if we somehow win 2 out of 4 of Miami, Clemson, @Virginia Tech, and @Georgia, that still means to win 9 games we can only lose 1 game against Alcorn State, Bowling Green, @USF, @Louisville, Virginia, @North Carolina, Duke, @Pittsburgh. There's 4 road games in there.

I view 2018 the same way I viewed 2017. We could win a ton of games. But our schedule is so damned difficult we could play incredible football and still only go 8-4.

Meanwhile, have you looked at Georgia? The team that thinks they are National Champions to be? They think so highly of themselves that their out of conference opponents next year are Austin Peay, Middle Tennessee State, and Massachusetts. They have 2 opponents who finished ranked last year out of 12. Pathetic.

J_Trouche

Georgia Tech Fan
every game on our schedule has about 40 percent chance or higher to be a win except Clemson. Georgia will be 7-5 next year and Miami is above average. it will be us or vt not miami. a little bold but if nate woody puts together a good defense its an extremely reasonable prediction in my opinion. you can hate Johnson for being a bad manager but his offense has rarely been the problem. WE NEED A D*MN SPECIAL TEAMS COACH THOUGH

stpetewreck

Georgia Tech Fan
Personally, I'm FINALLY excited about the defense.

Let's not get that confused with I have XYZ expectations of the defense this year. Since 2009, however, I've had my fingers crossed each off-season thinking, "well, hopefully we'll at least be average next seasonr."

After watching App St games on youtube, I am SO excited about the defense we're going to run. Maybe it lends itself to big plays by the opposing team, maybe it doesn't. But how could I not be excited to watch havoc instead of watching us take guys straight on hoping our talent is better than theirs. I love the idea of slanting/stunting so much of the time in college. Against college OL's...it feels (I might be totally wrong) like this havoc is going to create enough confusion to help even out the playing field IF we are less talented.

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow
If Taquon is our starting QB with 98% of the snaps, we have 7 wins at most, regardless of anything else. Zero threat in the passing game will kill us.

Special teams has to make a dramatic improvement. The ONLY good thing is punting, both coverage and return units suck. Field goals suck. Without marked improvement this alone with cost us 3-5 games.

Potentially defense could take a step forward and be legit top 35. It could also be a big help to the O-line as well with the different style of play. But we could also have some communication and recognition issues.

ALL of this is assuming we don't have anybody injured in the spring or fall practice.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm excited about the new defense. I liked what I heard at the introductory press conference. I'll be doubly excited when I see it able to prevent the opposing team from scoring with under two minutes left in the half. It has been quite frustrating to know that the only way to win a one possession game or to protect a one-score lead at the end of the first half is to either have the ball on offense or have a two-score lead.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
every game on our schedule has about 40 percent chance or higher to be a win except Clemson. Georgia will be 7-5 next year and Miami is above average. it will be us or vt not miami. a little bold but if nate woody puts together a good defense its an extremely reasonable prediction in my opinion. you can hate Johnson for being a bad manager but his offense has rarely been the problem. WE NEED A D*MN SPECIAL TEAMS COACH THOUGH
Who will be Georgias losses? I believe we could win 7 or 8 with their schedule.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
If Taquon is our starting QB with 98% of the snaps, we have 7 wins at most, regardless of anything else. Zero threat in the passing game will kill us.

We lost at least 2 games we definitely would have won if Harrison Butker had 1 more year of eligibility. We can win more the TQM as starting quarterback.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
This has been a tough one for me, because I was really a Ted Roof guy and will always be a fan of his.
But, I like what I see from our new DC and think he might be a perfect fit for our players and program.
I also like the Q and A above, it makes a lot of sense.
Bottom line, I still think we need to develop some kind of passing threat on offense, but by the time football season rolls around I'll be totally on-board and frothing at the mouth for GT Football !
If you are a long-term GT guy there really shouldn't be any other answer ...

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Gotta see the schedule first. Who we play and when means a lot about building momentum and chemistry. Gotta see who leaves after Spring practice. But having little to no info never stopped me from making predictions before so... I think a new DC will bring more enthusiasm than confusion, and I think Roof left quite a bit in the cupboard. Punting will be a strength. Kicking can't get much worse. We had double digit leads in 9 games IIRC. We lost three games (I think) on essentially the last play. We mauled Pitt, UNC, WF. We get Clemson at home, and (Hallelujah) uga in athens. We have an OL that has been together for a while, three tough AB. And PJ is pissed. We win the Coastal for sure.