Our Offense

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Well, okay. No argument. Except: you can't fix any offense in the world with this offensive line play. And that gets to recruiting and athletes, and that gets to all kinds of other discussions. There were a couple of times last night, again, when the O line looked like 52-card pickup. Seemingly everybody just kind of went where they felt they might be needed. I don't do the x and o stuff but I wonder how much of that is being so overmatched up front, how much is defensive scheme, how much is inexperience (one senior starter?) how much is a wrong QB read, how much is coaching, and how much is moon and tide phase. From what I see this early Clemson and Louisville are definitely 1st tier ACC, FSU will be, UNC wants to be, VT might be, and everybody else is in the shakeout for pecking order. Mainly at this point I want Clemson to hang 50 on Louisville.

I think we've got a good group of OLinemen, but the way we are using them is not always working

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
If our guys blocked who they're supposed to block, our O would be unstoppable. Part of the problem is playing a mix of young guys who are well below their ceiling (Bryan, Klock, Braun, Marshall). Another issue is having a passing game designed to take advantage of single coverage filled with guys who can't get open in single coverage.
Well, crap, by that logic...if every offensive player on every team did what they're supposed to like the play is drawn up on the chalkboard, every play would gain positive yardage and every drive would result in a touchdown. Why don't we just do that on offense?

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the cut blocking is overused. It has its place, but have seen too many times where it ends up more of a miss, the defender stays on his feet and can make a play while the blocker is on the ground and has taken himself out of the play.

I'm starting to agree. People are asking "what has changed?" in the way we are being defended...I think the teams we have played every year are getting better at coaching their guys at avoiding our linemen knowing that if we wiff on a block they take themselves out of the play. The next thing you know the guy with the ball has 4 opposing players on him.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
There's no reason whatsoever that we couldn't run a offense similar to Louisville, Baylor, UNC, etc. We are actually getting some very good recruits the past two seasons, i really don't think thats an excuse at all.

would love to see cpj call plays with lamar jackson, the baylor skill guys and unc's line.

i also love what he's doing with this team, but they just aren't up to clemson's front; not many are.

GTfan4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
3-1 starting a bunch of Freshmen and Sophomores with a loss to a top 5 team and we’re back at change the entire offense and fire the coach.

This is how I feel. I came into the game with the belief we could win, but the understanding that it would be a big upset. I did NOT expect the pain that was last night's game (aggravated for this 1st year season ticket holder by the fact I was surrounded by Clemson fans). All the comparisons to how Clemson's opponents performed was put in perspective by the sole pair of friendly Clemson fans who stated this was the first game that their team had played "a complete game" on either side of the ball. Let's be honest - Clemson has earned their ranking the past couple of years and we aren't there. But our guys were still within a few bone-headed young player moves from making this less painful. Unfortunately, we are not at Clemson's level right now. I still hold hope we will be, before the season ends.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
Everytime we look bad it's the "stars". We have good football players that aren't performing consistently. Winnning takes a whole lot more than just great athletes. Coaching, team cohesiveness,leaders and not taking any shortcuts with the hard work and grind it takes to win. Every once in awhile it happens here like in 2014. For those who thought JT was solely responsible for that season is living the reality of it now. It takes 90 guys to put together a winning season..... it appears now we have only a handful. jmho.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
I am a huge Paul Johnson fan.... But somethings got to change, that was embarrassing. I know clemsons good but we should be able to get more than 100 yards. The options suppose to give you a numbers advantage and yet every play were out numbered. Everyones either missing every block on basically every play or they dont know who to block. It cant be that complicated and if it is we need to change something up. That was embarrassing last night. Basically been a trainwreck every game since last year except for the Vandy game. Love Justin Thomas and feel bad for him that he has to run for his life every play and make him look bad, and that were waisting his last 2 years. If people would block people would talk about him like hes Lamar Jackson. JT is capable of balling out every game like he did the Miss St game if he had some help. I dont care who you put at qb no one would look good the last 2 years with the blocking we get. Im a huge Paul fan and want him to succeed but somethings gone wrong and it doesnt look like we can fix it. Its not that we lost to Clemson its that we could hardly get a yard. I know there good but come on. It was embarrassing and it was on national tv unfortunately.

gt365

Georgia Tech Fan
Yeah it's fun to occasionally watch other good option teams and see how they mix things up. Like last year Georgia Southern vs Georgia and especially the bowl game with Air Force vs Cal. I like our offense a lot (perfect fit to compete in the face of our inherent recruiting obstacles) but it sure is nice to see how other option teams get creative with formations and what not and run different plays. I wish PJ would steal from all of them and make GT the most unpredictable unstoppable option offense in the country.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Amen, I think he's to stubborn to do that. I don't understand why he can't see that. During warm i noticed clemson D line was practicing the cut block drills. Better D realized that when our O line makes contact they dropped to there knees. If he wants to win on the O side of the ball he's got the make some changes imo!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
it seems that the O-Line is only good against mediocre teams.

There are probably about 100 teams that can make the same statement. Johnson, Gailey and O'Leary have fielded about the same quality of teams over the period
with about the same results. Scheme does not seem to matter. Those three coaches have run about everything in the book with similar results.

So what to do? My first suggestion is add 40 majors and drop cal as a requirement. And since the UGA based BOR will nix that we are back to square one.

My second suggestion is drink your scotch neat or your whiskey clear.

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
There are probably about 100 teams that can make the same statement. Johnson, Gailey and O'Leary have fielded about the same quality of teams over the period
with about the same results. Scheme does not seem to matter. Those three coaches have run about everything in the book with similar results.

So what to do? My first suggestion is add 40 majors and drop cal as a requirement. And since the UGA based BOR will nix that we are back to square one.

My second suggestion is drink your scotch neat or your whiskey clear.
Like all the jolly good fellows, I drink my scotch neat,
Nah...doesn't work.

Jmonty71

Banned
Clemson was bigger, faster and better on almost every aspect. I wished CPJ would of started off with some passes, just to loosen Clemson up. What's done is done.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
I hate to come out and admit this but I am starting to truly dislike our offense, two straight years of getting shut down by good defenses is wearing down my love for CPJ and the spread-option. It seems like the top teams with fast defenses like ND, VT, Clem etc have figured out how to disrupt our blocking schemes just enough to cut our running efficiency way down, unless we manage to get a passing game going which is very rare these days. I mean i hate to sound like a pussyassquiter but this is getting harder and harder to watch.

Am i the 0nly one here feeling this?

The thing that gets me is that there is no back up plan.
if the run isn't there, its over. There is no plan B or adjustment.
I know I know.. Plan B distracts from plan A, I get it.

But what do you do when plan A is shot?

wvGT11

Helluva Engineer

Thats the thing. Poor Blocking + shutting down the option forces us to throw with bad pass protection on JT which is never good. I can't count the number of times that JT was running backwards last night, scrambling to not get sacked or just trying to throw the ball to the sidelines. As CPJ said little adjustments were needed accept for actually blocking.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
Thats the thing. Poor Blocking + shutting down the option forces us to throw with bad pass protection on JT which is never good. I can't count the number of times that JT was running backwards last night, scrambling to not get sacked or just trying to throw the ball to the sidelines. As CPJ said little adjustments were needed accept for actually blocking.

he was running for his life every play. It was awful.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer

You run it between the tackles with non option plays, which is how we scored the TD. CPJ tried running the option and quick toss plays that we could not execute. He then tried some pass plays where we couldn't protect or get separation. He then turned it inside with designed runs/draws where would could double some defenders and move the ball.

FWIW I think he called a decent game. The BB pass play was a good call too IMO. We had a little momentum and we were down 16 in the 4th quarter. We tried a high risk play to try to get back in the game.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
You run it between the tackles with non option plays, which is how we scored the TD. CPJ tried running the option and quick toss plays that we could not execute. He then tried some pass plays where we couldn't protect or get separation. He then turned it inside with designed runs/draws where would could double some defenders and move the ball.

FWIW I think he called a decent game. The BB pass play was a good call too IMO. We had a little momentum and we were down 16 in the 4th quarter. We tried a high risk play to try to get back in the game.

That's fair.

So where do we go from here? How do you improve the O line (short of firing)?
Are the coaches/fans satisfied with W's vs. weaker teams only and 7-5 or 6-6 seasons?

I think these are some questions that need answering pretty quickly.